Could Kai get ANOTHER rescore?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kuwabara
Regular

Could Kai get ANOTHER rescore?

Post by Kuwabara » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:56 pm

A while ago I read some theories on here regarding the possibility of Hiroshi Takaki (or perhaps Norihito Sumitomo) scoring the rest of Kai. Obviously I doubt the Kikuchi score would be switched out by this point, but what if it was? What would that mean for previous episodes of Kai? Would future re-releases of older episodes end up receiving yet another musical score for the sake of consistency?
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Could Kai get ANOTHER rescore?

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:06 pm

Kuwabara wrote:A while ago I read some theories on here regarding the possibility of Hiroshi Takaki (or perhaps Norihito Sumitomo) scoring the rest of Kai. Obviously I doubt the Kikuchi score would be switched out by this point, but what if it was? What would that mean for previous episodes of Kai? Would future re-releases of older episodes end up receiving yet another musical score for the sake of consistency?
There's no reason for them to do that. It's be a hassle and cost a lot of money for a series nobody wanted to buy as it is.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:09 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
Kuwabara wrote:A while ago I read some theories on here regarding the possibility of Hiroshi Takaki (or perhaps Norihito Sumitomo) scoring the rest of Kai. Obviously I doubt the Kikuchi score would be switched out by this point, but what if it was? What would that mean for previous episodes of Kai? Would future re-releases of older episodes end up receiving yet another musical score for the sake of consistency?
There's no reason for them to do that. It's be a hassle and cost a lot of money for a series nobody wanted to buy as it is.
Nobody in Japan wanted to buy it. Obviously, it's done well enough in foreign markets to justify the funding of the Boo arc production.

So it's possible that Toei might get a "new" score for the Boo arc of Kai.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:16 pm

Yeah, I thought Kai media sales were only bad in Japan? They're primarily finishing up the series for overseas markets, and they've also already replaced the score once before in a very short amount of time. I wouldn't even mind reused music from Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans, Episode of Bardock, Battle of Gods etc. The former two don't hold a candle to Yamamoto in my opinion, but Takaki's music is still very good. Sumitomo's work remains to be heard, but a truly feature film quality soundtrack for a Dragon Ball film is one of the few things I'm actually excited about in regards to Battle of Gods.

This whole idea is mostly just wishful thinking on my part, but I thought it would be an interesting point of discussion. The music placement in the Kikuchi score is lazy and the Yamamoto score, despite being my favorite in all of Dragon Ball, is incomplete... I just want one consistent (and good) score! :crazy:
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:23 pm

I want some new Kikuchi tracks. Is he doing anything lately?
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:31 pm

As far as I know, the latest series Kikuchi worked on was the Doraemon series from 2005 or 2006.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:38 am

penguintruth wrote:I want some new Kikuchi tracks. Is he doing anything lately?
His latest composition in 2010: http://youtu.be/e3ziBwFP7xc
Kuwabara wrote:As far as I know, the latest series Kikuchi worked on was the Doraemon series from 2005 or 2006.
The composer for the current series is Kan Sawada instead of Kikuchi, which is one of the reasons I never watch Doraemon these days.

Edit: Totally off-topic, but this is my 1979th post, which is the year Doraemon started airing on TV Asahi.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:39 pm

To be honest, I'd like a re score. It would actually give me an incentive to buy and watch the series then.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:27 pm

My first thought was "I wonder if FUNimation read this and wrote a note for a future release". :lol:

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:11 am

kei17 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:I want some new Kikuchi tracks. Is he doing anything lately?
His latest composition in 2010: http://youtu.be/e3ziBwFP7xc
Holy carp! He did Goseiger music? I just finished that series today! That's frigging awesome!
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:41 am

This is Kai and Toei Animation, so the chance is high of such happening.

I'd vote for Ultimate Tenkaichi's cinematic music.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:57 pm

TheRed259 wrote:
kei17 wrote:His latest composition in 2010: http://youtu.be/e3ziBwFP7xc
Shunsuke Kikuchi - Karate-Robo Zaborgar 2011
( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_emPOYRr ... t0Y_gaeclw )
That movie reused his old score from the original TV series in 1974, so that's not new at all. It's re-arranged by Yasuhiko Fukuda, though. Drastic Groundion still is his latest composition.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:35 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:My first thought was "I wonder if FUNimation read this and wrote a note for a future release". :lol:
I know you're joking but man do I hope so, Kai with Kikuchi is completely unwatchable.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:06 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:I'd vote for Ultimate Tenkaichi's cinematic music.
Even if you use all the pieces from PtEtSS and the cutscenes, you still need far more tracks for a TV series with over 50 episodes. The Kikuchi version of Kai uses about 70 pieces of music, but it's horribly repetitive. Simply using more Kikuchi pieces would be the cheapest and safest way.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:47 pm

Aside from the Ocean dub I don't think this will happen. I'm curious to see how bland that one will go. I imagine it'll sound like one of the lower quality in-house 4Kids score (TMNT comes to mind.)
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:34 pm

I'm glad that Ocean is apparently rescoring. I have no idea what their dub will be like or what kind of music they'll use, but I think it's worth a gamble, and if they're going to so much effort to create an insanely accurate script I'm sure they'll want to stay true to the tone of the series too.

The best way to fix Kai is certainly to just use more Kikuchi tracks. The music in the original anime is great, so there's no reason for it not to be in Kai. I'm really hoping that this is what Ocean has decided to do, because they know everyone is complaining about Kikuchi Kai; that they've purchased more Kikuchi tracks and used the Z placement or something :P

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:58 am

I absolutely hope that there's a brand new Canadian-made score for the Ocean Group-acted version of Kai. With all the trouble there's been up to this point regarding the music in Kai, it'd be interesting to see what someone new could come up with. I know that it could end up being total garbage, but if they're putting thought into it, it might actually be neat and I won't have any prior expectations as to what it's "supposed to" sound like, as Kai is in this weird place music-wise where it misues the DBZ score right now.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:14 am

bkev wrote:I imagine it'll sound like one of the lower quality in-house 4Kids score (TMNT comes to mind.)
I consider their TMNT score to be one of their better works, possibly their greatest next to the score they did for YuGiOh.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:03 am

Replacement music is probably a deal breaker for me.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?