Maybe it's enough of dbz fighting games?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Maybe it's enough of dbz fighting games?

Post by Black_Liger » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:28 pm

I simply loved the gokuden games for the snes, even though it was more of a graphical novel than a game.

It would be amazing if they remade the gokuden games with updated graphics and great music. I Think i'm getting sick of the fighting games, they just copypaste each other, Dragon ball not only has great action, but great story as well, even spin-offs.

I'd buy an RPG about Bardock's days after he beat chilled, a Dbz Attack of saiyans sequel, man even 2D Sidescroller like Advanced adventures. but no more fighters!.
Last edited by Black_Liger on Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Re: Maybe it's enough of dbz fighting games?

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:06 pm

The problem with today's Dragon Ball Z home console fighting games is that they're all developed by the same dev team, which is Spike.

Namco Bandai better get this year straight because it's been a couple bad years so far with Raging Blast 1, Raging Blast 2, Ultimate Blast and For Kinect, none of these games are really quality fighting games which Dimps and Crafts & Meister offered back then. Budokai HD Collection was released in 2012 but kind of forgettable, the attention went most to For Kinect.

As for the music, it's great on all of them (some better than others) but this is because it wasn't produced by Spike, god knows what they'd come up if they composed music too.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:08 pm

A Super Saiyaman open-world game would be awesome.

GogetaSSJ2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by GogetaSSJ2 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:31 pm

This is why I loved The Legacy of Goku 2 and Attack of the Saiyans so much. It was something different than just a fighting game. Those 2 were the best open world DBZ games we got to experience. It's a shame we never got anything like that for the consoles with HD graphics, oh well......
PSN: Nightwing7841

"I am neither Goku nor Vegeta, I am the instrument of your destruction!" - Gogeta

Relentless Saiyan72

Post by Relentless Saiyan72 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:37 am

The problem with DBZ games is the fact that companies aren't trying to bring anything "NEW" to the table. We seen Spike bring over ultimate tenkaichi ( which went wit ha qte based combat that nobody cared for) and now its like " what else is there to do"? I would love a DBZ RPG game. You can power up, lvl up, learn techniques, play with or against friends with online co-op. However, I don't see this happening. The ideal game I really want is Zenkai Battle Royale for the ps3 or ps4.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:17 am

DBZ games have been going down hill with sales since 2008. I know Burst Limit did well, but I don't think reach the numbers that the third Sparking games did. They need to try something new and different with the DBZ fighting games. I think going back to the roots of the Budokai games could sell well since they were popular from 2002 - 2004 and I have seen people saying that DBZ games started to suck after Budokai 3.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:39 am

GogetaSSJ2 wrote:This is why I loved The Legacy of Goku 2 and Attack of the Saiyans so much. It was something different than just a fighting game. Those 2 were the best open world DBZ games we got to experience. It's a shame we never got anything like that for the consoles with HD graphics, oh well......
I can't believe I forgot about TLOG Games, those were amazing, my only problem is that they didn't have a NG+ Feature, those were games that you wanted to replay no matter what, but loosing all your progress just to enjoy the story again? heck no, as for the console games with HD Graphics, it would be grand, however the producers just want to milk the franchise copypasting the games with the same engine over and over... even skyrim with dbz mods might turn out to be a better dbz game than those we have on consoles right now.
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:43 am

An RPG like AotS would be excellent! I'd love to see an RPG that covers more of the series (and with less side stories, tbh - I want to play canon material more).

I'm not sick of the fighting games, though. I don't mind that they're not bringing something new, I just want to see them be more complete.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:23 am

@Saiga

Now I'm the opposite. I want more RPG's to expand the universe and make full use of filler material. For example, if there was AotS sequel (but about the Freeza saga) I would love if there were adventures inspired from the filler about encounters that Gohan and Kuririn had while going to Namek (That space vessel and Fake Namek). The more side quests the better. Though a strong flow of the narrative would be key. Without that, an RPG would suck.

Also, I wouldn't mind turn based combat. Would any of you guys (or girls) care for the Zelda/Secret of Mana action RPG style found in the LOG games again?
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:24 am

Yeah, but AotS ended up being like, 90% non-manga material. That was too much >.>
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:36 am

Saiga wrote:Yeah, but AotS ended up being like, 90% non-manga material. That was too much >.>
Especially for a game released under the Kai brand (in Japan at least).
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:48 am

I think my copy has the Dragon Ball Kai brand on it as well... but I can't find it right now. That's pretty funny, though. :lol:

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:44 am

I think DLC would help. A lot of DBZ games are actually good, problem is, they are just lacking a few things that would actually make them great. I really like Raging Blast 1, problem is, we are missing 9 important characters, story mode battles centered around them, Supers from RB2 that aren't in this game, and the ROSAT as a stage. Those 9 characters are: Mystic Gohan, Dabura, Cooler, Final Form Cooler, Meta Cooler, Mecha Freeza, Future Gohan, Super Janemba, and King Cold. Honestly if this games had these things, it would probably be my favorite DBZ game since it would have a feeling of completeness. Sure the gamaplay wouldn't be as good as Sparking Meteor but Raging Blast's gamplay is still pretty good.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:05 am

At this point I don't think it's unreasonable to want a European or American dev team for a DBZ game. I'de love to see what they could do with it.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:16 am

NitroEX wrote:At this point I don't think it's unreasonable to want a European or American dev team for a DBZ game. I'de love to see what they could do with it.
The Legacy of Goku, The Legacy of Goku II, Buu's Fury, and DBGT: Transformation were all made by American dev teams.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:57 pm

I don't see any DBZ games getting any major DLC stuff other then outfits for characters. Games like COD gets DLC since DBZ games have no mainstream following. I don't think DLC characters will sell enough if they are going to put them in the next game in another year from now.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:20 pm

I want a DBZ game with the same kind of treatment as Naruto's Ultimate Ninja Storm series, I mean just look at UNS3, the amount of content and fan-service in that is amazing. Other than that a fighter like Zenkai Battle Royale would be great too, I think there's a real market for multiplayer DBZ that just hasn't been tapped into yet unfortunately.

As for an RPG style game I'd love one of those too, heck I'd settle for another Sagas.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:48 pm

Sin wrote:I want a DBZ game with the same kind of treatment as Naruto's Ultimate Ninja Storm series, I mean just look at UNS3, the amount of content and fan-service in that is amazing. Other than that a fighter like Zenkai Battle Royale would be great too, I think there's a real market for multiplayer DBZ that just hasn't been tapped into yet unfortunately.

As for an RPG style game I'd love one of those too, heck I'd settle for another Sagas.
Namco Bandai (publisher) and Spike (developers) have been given many chances of making a multiplayer Dragon Ball Z game for the home consoles but it's always down to 1v1 battles. I have no hope left for Namco Bandai to impress me regarding this matter.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:40 pm

Before developers try to permanently move DB games over to different genres, I think we should get the perfect fighting game first thats so good that there wouldn't be a need for a sequel or what ever. Massive fan service in characters, costumes, super attacks, stages, what-if stories, CaC, story mode and just that overall DBZ feel also in the game play department, a decent amount of depth for a DBZ game some thing where playing with Piccolo feels similar yet satisfyingly different from say Gotenks.

But I know that'll never happen. So with that said, I would love an open world Dragon Ball game.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:13 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote:Before developers try to permanently move DB games over to different genres, I think we should get the perfect fighting game first thats so good that there wouldn't be a need for a sequel or what ever. Massive fan service in characters, costumes, super attacks, stages, what-if stories, CaC, story mode and just that overall DBZ feel also in the game play department, a decent amount of depth for a DBZ game some thing where playing with Piccolo feels similar yet satisfyingly different from say Gotenks.

But I know that'll never happen. So with that said, I would love an open world Dragon Ball game.
What I'd like to see, is an ultimate Dimps game and an ultimate Spike game. The Dimps game should be like Infinite World/Budokai 3 but polished more and feel more complete, with the cut/what-if characters returning and solid depth, while the Spike game would just be maximum fanservice. :D Hopefully that's not too infeasible.