Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Saiyan Prince Vegeta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by Saiyan Prince Vegeta » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:56 pm

I'm another one who likes spoilers, I guess it depends on what usually. With this film I actually want the spoilers because I know I won't see it for quite some time most probably.

Congratulations on being able to make the preview screening Kei. :)

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:40 pm

I've actually got the complete opposite outlook as many of you. I hate spoiling myself. Sure, I could have read the online summaries for Wreck-It Ralph before I went and saw the movie, but I wouldn't have enjoyed it nearly as much if I had. I love being able to experience the story, the music, the performances, and (most-importantly) the twists first-hand. At the risk of sounding like a snob, I believe that knowing everything that happens beforehand would take away from the magic of watching movies.

Of course, I'll be breaking that rule for Battle of Gods, since spoilers and stuff like that are going to become so popular around the website/forum that it'll just be impossible to avoid. The alternative would be to avoid coming to Kanzenshuu until the film is released in America, which I refuse to do because I simply can't go that long without keeping up-to-date on DragonBall news/discussions. So, bring on the spoilers. Hopefully the next time we get something like this (if ever), Toei could make it a grand event by working with licensing companies to put together a simultaneous worldwide release.

Speaking of Wreck-It Ralph, that's going to provide some decent competition at the box office for Battle of Gods, since it premieres on the 23rd in Japan (under the new title "Sugar Rush").
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:49 pm

Here's my suggestion on the whole "spoiler" stuff.
1st: create a thread for spoilers, clearly marked as such;
2nd: avoid putting any spoilers on the main website; just put a link to the spoiler thread there.
3rd: severely punish anyone who spoils outside the specified thread :twisted:
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

fogdark
Beyond Newbie

Post by fogdark » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:08 pm

Well, if Kei is able to see the movie, I think he should be allowed to post on this thread an overall opinion or overview on the movie. Nothing too spoilery, but something to let us know how good or bad the film actually is.
And for specific questions, like how Goku becomes a Super Saiyan God and what's his appearance like as such, etc, then there should be another thread, yes.
Just putting my 2 cents on the matter...
Yes, Goku visited me once. He turned to me while I was still speechless, and said, "You've drank too much"...

My Teepublic Store
My Redbubble Store

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:16 pm

MagicBox wrote:I've actually got the complete opposite outlook as many of you. I hate spoiling myself. Sure, I could have read the online summaries for Wreck-It Ralph before I went and saw the movie, but I wouldn't have enjoyed it nearly as much if I had. I love being able to experience the story, the music, the performances, and (most-importantly) the twists first-hand. At the risk of sounding like a snob, I believe that knowing everything that happens beforehand would take away from the magic of watching movies.

Of course, I'll be breaking that rule for Battle of Gods, since spoilers and stuff like that are going to become so popular around the website/forum that it'll just be impossible to avoid. The alternative would be to avoid coming to Kanzenshuu until the film is released in America, which I refuse to do because I simply can't go that long without keeping up-to-date on DragonBall news/discussions. So, bring on the spoilers. Hopefully the next time we get something like this (if ever), Toei could make it a grand event by working with licensing companies to put together a simultaneous worldwide release.
This is exactly how I feel. I'd love to avoid spoilers, but that would mean staying off Kanzenshuu, NeoGAF, Twitter and pretty much the entire Internet until Battle of Gods finds a release in North America. That is simply not happening.

I've actually been able to do it with the third Evangelion movie, but this is Dragon Ball we're talking about here. I bet I'd overhear a conversation about the ending of the film while walking down the street.
Speaking of Wreck-It Ralph, that's going to provide some decent competition at the box office for Battle of Gods, since it premieres on the 23rd in Japan (under the new title "Sugar Rush").
is this the real life

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:56 pm

Not only is "Sugar Rush" the title of "Wreck-It Ralph" in Japan, but I think they actually had AKB48 do a music video for it.

But yeah, BOG. 29 hours left and counting. *_*
I guess there really was no new news in this week's WJ about it after all?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:56 pm

fps_anth wrote:
MagicBox wrote:
is this the real life
It seems like a normal thing in Japan for movies Dark Knight Rises got changed to Dark Knight Rising (even though that's small), Brave got renamed "メリダとおそろしの森" something like 'Merida and the Forest of Horror'. So it seems like it's a normal thing for some of the American movies to get re-named.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:11 am

They should totally rename BoG to "DBZ: Sugar Rush" for its North American release. Seems fitting somehow.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:04 am

Chuquita wrote:Not only is "Sugar Rush" the title of "Wreck-It Ralph" in Japan, but I think they actually had AKB48 do a music video for it.
Which I guess makes sense, considering they performed a song for the movie. It's even featured in the original American version of the film and on the American soundtrack.

... Saying "original American version" on a DragonBall forum just sounds... strange...

But just so I'm not getting off-topic... uh... so are we going to be able to accurately follow box-office progress for Battle of Gods? Does Japan have its own version of BoxOfficeMojo?
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:04 am

Oh my Battle of Gods! This thread has just exploded since I started my vacation. I spent a large chunk of my evening reading 46 pages of posts just to catch up!

So for me, the most exciting thing I missed while spending a week on a boat was the revelation of Vegeta's wacky face (you see where my priorities lie :p). A happy dance to appease the god of destruction? That sounds fucking hilarious, I can't wait to see it.

Speaking of the spoiler discussion, I originally planned to hold off on spoiling myself too much, hoping an international release would already be announced by the time the movie came out. However, since there's been no information yet about overseas screnings, I will procede to spoil myself shamelessly. I'll be sitting in an airport Tuesday morning, so hopefully I'll have movie plot details to entertain me while I wait for my flight!
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:32 am

SPOILER: Goku (eventually) wins.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:33 am

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:51 am

omegalucas wrote:Here's my suggestion on the whole "spoiler" stuff.
1st: create a thread for spoilers, clearly marked as such;
2nd: avoid putting any spoilers on the main website; just put a link to the spoiler thread there.
3rd: severely punish anyone who spoils outside the specified thread :twisted:
Or maybe having a "hide post" function like every other forum on the net. :roll:

Draken
Banned

Post by Draken » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:19 am

penguintruth wrote:SPOILER: Goku (eventually) wins.
Plot twist : Krillin was actually a Saiyan this entire time and he becomes SSG and defeats Turtle, the true villain, who kept his power level of over 9000133769x10^3432432 hidden all this time.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:49 am

Are-are they re-screening the old films in theatres? :shock:
http://www.toei-anim.co.jp/movie/2013_d ... ws/25.html

EDIT: Correct me if I'm wrong, but from the looks of things movies 7, 8, 15, 16 and 17 will all be screened in certain theatres for a limited time.

EDIT 2: Also, it looks like an official channel on Nico Video will be streaming all 17 original movies:
http://blog.nicovideo.jp/niconews/ni038334.html

Bare in mind that I don't actually speak Japanese and that I'm just basing this off what Google Translate gives me. Speaking of which, I better start my re-watch of the movies (Although I don't own the first 3. Guess I'll have to change that). :D

EDIT 3: Just gonna throw up all the new news posts from the official website-
http://www.toei-anim.co.jp/movie/2013_d ... ws/25.html
http://www.toei-anim.co.jp/movie/2013_d ... ws/26.html
http://www.toei-anim.co.jp/movie/2013_d ... ws/27.html
Last edited by DragonBoxZTheMovies on Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:54 am

Movies 1-3 would be awesome on the big screen.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:43 am

I hate spoilers, but this time I'm going to make an exception. I don't think the movie will have any shocking revelation.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:48 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:I hate spoilers, but this time I'm going to make an exception. I don't think the movie will have any shocking revelation.
I guess the only really thing that would be shocking is the idea of Super Saiyan God, and we already know of that.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:18 am

fps_anth wrote: I've actually been able to do it with the third Evangelion movie, but this is Dragon Ball we're talking about here. I bet I'd overhear a conversation about the ending of the film while walking down the street.
Yeah, I've managed to avoid spoilers from 3.0 so far (well, I read one when I opened the Wikipedia page while looking for the Bluray release date but I forgot it already :mrgreen: ), but I won't be doing the same with Battle of Gods for two reasons: 1) we already kinda know the outcome - who dies, who lives -, since it it set in that 10 years time skip; as for Eva, these movies have already deviated a LOT from the TV series, so I'm totally waiting for the BD release. 2) I don't want to have to avoid Kanzenshuu :P
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:21 am

MagicBox wrote:
G.I Joe 2 comes out that same weekend in Japan as well IIRC? I think Battle of Gods will do better then both. It's the first DBZ movie since Movie 13 which came out nearly 18 years ago. DBZ is still doing well in Japan and I think it has enough fans in Japan to support it. I think it could have a drop off by next week since I think most fans have seen it by then.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/