FUNimation: Buy Existing DBZ Titles to Get Battle of Gods!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

samuraix123
I Live Here

FUNimation: Buy Existing DBZ Titles to Get Battle of Gods!

Post by samuraix123 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:17 am

Hello Everyone!
I just came onto this little post on the Toonami forums and I'm just curious, Can anyone comment on this? is this legit?
http://boards.adultswim.com/t5/Toonami/ ... #U67623297
You wanna know the best way to support a franchise and help us get the acquisitions you want? Buy existing titles in the market so we have the funds to do it.So as fans, what should we do?Purchase the latest DBZ titles! From where? FUNimation recommends Amazon. They currently have a sale going on, discounting all Dragon Ball Z Kai DVDs to $21.49 (originally $49.98) each and all Dragon Ball Z Kai Blu-ray to $23.49 (originally $54.98) each. All the DVDs/Blu-rays have English and Japanese voices with the option for English subtitles. The sale lasts until March 30, 2013 so purchase quick!
and Kyle Hebert(the Narrator for Dragonball Z posted this on his Facebook ''Pssst'' and gave a link to buy these http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/r ... &plgroup=1
well here's the link :?
https://www.facebook.com/KyleHebertVO
Last edited by samuraix123 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Avenged
Advanced Regular

Re: FUNimation: Buy Existing DBZ Titles to Get Battle of God

Post by Avenged » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:19 am

They only stated if we want future titles then we need to buy what is currently released to help fund future endeavors. I don't believe they mentioned Battle of Gods specifically.
Dragon Blog Z - A Dragon Ball Z Community

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:20 am

Yeah, I bought the Dragon Boxes, what else do they want from me?
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:25 am

I'll probably buy all the kai sets while they're on sale. Funi, you'd better get the movie rights and dub it very very well and accurately and release it on blu-ray AND give it a limited theatrical release then.

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:57 am

Well I bought the singles DVDs.

And the orange boxes.

And the Dragon Boxes.

And the movie steel books.

And some Kai blu rays.

Is that enough, FUNi?

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:27 am

I bought Dragon Ball. I bought the DBZ Dragon Boxes. I've bought most of Kai and I'm planning on getting the current release. I was planning on getting the DBZ Levels, but those got canned. I think I've done my part already.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:03 am

Toei seem to be planning on screenings in other countries, so I guess they're setting their sights on the North American market, which is their biggest market in overseas. Without FUNimation, they can still produce a good dub themselves by directly hiring the FUNi cast.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:28 am

fps_anth wrote:Well I bought the singles DVDs.

And the orange boxes.

And the Dragon Boxes.

And the movie steel books.

And some Kai blu rays.

Is that enough, FUNi?
The Level Set Blu-Rays... Muwhaha!
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

oXdanXo
Regular

Post by oXdanXo » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:06 am

Well I've bought everything they've released, Toei have already said that they've planned an international release, so I'm hoping that you are referring to the other things like the jump special because if Funi dubs them then it's a great year for me :)
Next to get; Leged of Saiyan figures and Freeza's force

If anyone sees
Any of the Legend of Saiyan line going cheapish
Or any other Banpresto DBZ figure :)

If anyone has a cooler steelbook dvd that wants to sell it (prefer new but used is fine) when/if the dragon box movies comes out contact me :)

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:16 am

I bought all of the Dragon Boxes Z, Kai Parts 1-8 (got rid of 5-8) so if there was anything that I'd be interested it would be the DBZ Level Blu-rays but I don't want them as of now.

Nothing really screams "must own!" (Telltale's The Walking Dead is a must!).
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:34 am

kei17 wrote:Toei seem to be planning on screenings in other countries, so I guess they're setting their sights on the North American market, which is their biggest market in overseas. Without FUNimation, they can still produce a good dub themselves by directly hiring the FUNi cast.
While that would actually be (VERY) cool, I think that's more effort that Toei's willing to put in. But hey, I'd love to be proven wrong...I'd have to imagine that if Toei was directly in charge of the dub, then we probably wouldn't have to worry about the dub script's faithfulness to the original script.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

snaku
Regular

Post by snaku » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:50 am

I'm sorry, but what? We have to show support for the first major new release in 17 years by buying more DVDs/Blus of the best selling anime of all time? So buying VHS singles, DVD singles, UUEs, Orange Boxes, Dragon Boxes, Levels, Kai just wasn't enough to build the capital to license one f'n movie?

Toei, please put English subtitles on the Battle of Gods Blu-ray so I don't have to deal with this company ever again.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:13 am

It would be funny if Toei just hired an outside company to dub it, and released it themselves, considering they have an American branch that's put out some Digimon stuff.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:19 am

B wrote:It would be funny if Toei just hired an outside company to dub it, and released it themselves, considering they have an American branch that's put out some Digimon stuff.
If they were to, I'd hope they would make it Region B compatible too for the Blu-ray release.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:22 am

snaku wrote:I'm sorry, but what? We have to show support for the first major new release in 17 years by buying more DVDs/Blus of the best selling anime of all time? So buying VHS singles, DVD singles, UUEs, Orange Boxes, Dragon Boxes, Levels, Kai just wasn't enough to build the capital to license one f'n movie?

Toei, please put English subtitles on the Battle of Gods Blu-ray so I don't have to deal with this company ever again.
I think that was a general response to how the anime works in general--people buy stuff, company makes more off that stuff. It's really not absurd at all, especially considering how many people aren't buying stuff now, and how the anime industry in general has declined as a result.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:06 am

I guess I'll play devil's advocate and say Toei is still a business; they don't just hand things over to overseas companies. Contracts are drawn up and fees are demanded. And with this movie being such a milestone for DB, maybe it's more expensive than the typical 24-episode TV series.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:26 pm

I think people are overreacting a bit. FUNimation is a company, this isn't the first time they've - you know, ADVERTISED - for people to buy more stuff. And nowhere in the tweet do they actually say 'You must buy this other stuff or we're never getting Battle of Gods, muahaha!' I wish I knew why some people are so eager to jump on FUNi's case for every single thing they do. :?
B wrote:It would be funny if Toei just hired an outside company to dub it, and released it themselves, considering they have an American branch that's put out some Digimon stuff.
Are you talking about this set? If so, I had no idea New Video was a branch of Toei. Huh.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:37 pm

I meant the (incomplete) Digimon Savers (or Data Squad) DVDs; they were put out by Toei U.S. Of course, everything I just put in parentheses tells us we don't want them bringing it over.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:39 pm

I would love to buy the rest of the Kai dvds, but they screwed up the sound mixing which effectively killed any chance of me buying them, I'll buy the next game if it doesn't suck.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:45 pm

B wrote:I meant the (incomplete) Digimon Savers (or Data Squad) DVDs; they were put out by Toei U.S. Of course, everything I just put in parentheses tells us we don't want them bringing it over.
OHHH. The 'Well Go USA' DVDs...yeah...if Toei was behind that whole debacle, I'm not sure I want them directly behind the release of anything stateside again. Though, knowing that was Toei makes me laugh then, considering how much of a rip-off the design and motif of the DBZ Season Sets the first set of 'Data Squad' was.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)