Chris Sabat announces Buu saga licensed by Funimation

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Re: Chris Sabat announces Buu saga licensed by Funimation

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:40 pm

I'm actually very happy to hear this. It seems pretty clear that the Buu saga is being made primarily for English speaking fans many of which felt that the removal of filler was over the top for the previous sagas so it makes sense that they'd want to remedy that. I'm sure Funimation will keep doing a great job and with the new score added to that we should be in for a treat.

I really can't wait until Kix airs all of Kai here in the UK, Buu saga included. Finally we'll have the whole series from start to finish with one great consistent dub by Funi. Add the inevitable DVD releases to that and the franchise should be going very strong again here in the UK.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:44 pm

90sDBZ wrote:I'm actually very happy to hear this. It seems pretty clear that the Buu saga is being made primarily for English speaking fans many of which felt that the removal of filler was over the top for the previous sagas so it makes sense that they'd want to remedy that.
I think...my brain just melted through my ears. It would be too stupid to believe if it were coming from anywhere besides the American DBZ fanbase. If they like the filler, why aren't they just watching the original freakin' Anime?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:54 pm

Duo wrote:
90sDBZ wrote:I'm actually very happy to hear this. It seems pretty clear that the Buu saga is being made primarily for English speaking fans many of which felt that the removal of filler was over the top for the previous sagas so it makes sense that they'd want to remedy that.
I think...my brain just melted through my ears. It would be too stupid to believe if it were coming from anywhere besides the American DBZ fanbase. If they like the filler, why aren't they just watching the original freakin' Anime?
Could you be anymore insulting? I get that you disagree, but I think there are far more polite ways to disagree with people.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:30 pm

ABED wrote:Could you be anymore insulting? I get that you disagree, but I think there are far more polite ways to disagree with people.
That comment wasn't aimed specifically at any statement somebody here specifically said, so whom exactly is there to get offended?

Besides, I'm part of the American fan base myself by technicality.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:52 pm

Hey, that's pretty good news, though 66 episodes sounds like they didn't cut out enough (Buu arc has quite a bit of filler).

Did he mention Kara Edwards?
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:57 pm

Here's hoping for a recast for Fat Buu, Super Buu, Goten and Trunks. Enough with the rasp!
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

G1GACANN0N
Not-So-Newbie

Post by G1GACANN0N » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:58 pm

0-200 DBZ episodes vs 98 Kai episodes = 51% cut

201-291 DBZ episodes vs 66 kai episods = 27% cut

All you need to know.

Also it's incorrect to say they are going from 71 episodes to 66, they are going from 90 episodes to 66 as I'm sure Sayaiman/World Tournament will be part of the continuation of Kai.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:14 pm

If the picture quality sucks then there's no reason I'll even consider purchasing it, and if FUNimation titles it as "Dragon Ball Z Kai: Season Five" that's a killer for me as I don't have the other "seasons", so I hope they'll think of a better title for it.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:16 pm

ABED wrote:Here's hoping for a recast for Fat Buu, Super Buu, Goten and Trunks. Enough with the rasp!
Disagreed.

Despite me not liking the Buu Saga, I did like a majority of the voice actors for the characters. Hopefully none of them get replaced.

*crosses fingers for Eric Vale to return as the announcer*
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:24 pm

All I need is Kyle Hebert back as Gohan and I'm good to go.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:25 pm

Leave Evil Buu alone; I could take or leave Goten and Trunks. They always seem to vary to me.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:26 pm

ABED wrote:Here's hoping for a recast for Fat Buu, Super Buu, Goten and Trunks. Enough with the rasp!
Both Kara Edwards and Laura Bailey have improved tremendously since then. Laura in particular; she played the young Vegeta in Goku's flashback during his fight with Freeza in Kai.

I also always thought Kara was pretty good anyways.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:37 pm

Well, it's too late to recast some of the VAs I wanted recasted beforehand, but I hope they don't use Justin Cook as older Dende again. Ugh. Horrible. And do something about Gohan's classmates. Not super fond of Fat Buu's VA, either. But I definitely still want to hear Kara Edwards again.

Is Rick Robertson still with Funimation or do you think they'll be recasting Dabura? I thought he was pretty good.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:39 pm

Gonstead wrote:
Disagreed.

Despite me not liking the Buu Saga, I did like a majority of the voice actors for the characters. Hopefully none of them get replaced.
You enjoyed Fat Buu's high pitched voice and infantile dialog?

I can't stand kid Trunks' voice. It doesn't sound remotely natural, and I am not a fan of Justin Cook's acting. He sounds like he's trying way too hard. I find it weird that many seem to dislike him as Dende but enjoy his work as Buu. At least with Dende, he's more or less using his natural voice.

I hope Rick Robertson returns, that guy's voice is tremendous. He's amazing as Yomi in Yu Yu Hakusho.
if FUNimation titles it as "Dragon Ball Z Kai: Season Five" that's a killer for me as I don't have the other "seasons", so I hope they'll think of a better title for it.
They've never used seasons for Kai before so I don't know why they'd start now. How come the name is a killer for you?
Last edited by ABED on Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:42 pm

Duo wrote:All I need is Kyle Hebert back as Gohan and I'm good to go.
If there's two English FUNimation voice actors I liked of the Buu arc, it would be Ultimate Gohan and super Buu, the vocals were so suitable and enjoyable to listen to. Hope they stick with them.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:44 pm

penguintruth wrote:Is Rick Robertson still with Funimation or do you think they'll be recasting Dabura? I thought he was pretty good.
He hasn't voiced in anything else apart from Blue Gender and DBZ.

Hopefully he does return as he was one of my favourites.
ABED wrote:You enjoyed Fat Buu's high pitched voice and infantile dialog?
I never said anything about the script, only that I don't mind Fat Buu's voice as it is.
ABED wrote:I can't stand kid Trunks' voice. It doesn't sound remotely natural
Same can be said for the Japanese kid Trunks as well. I can't stand his voice in that version. Hell, I'll take a thousand Nozawa Bardocks overs Takeshi Kuso Kid Trunks.
Last edited by Gonstead on Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

G1GACANN0N
Not-So-Newbie

Post by G1GACANN0N » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:48 pm

Isn't Fat Buu supposed to sound like a mentally you know what-ed buffoon? I sure find him annoying as hell either way.

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:49 pm

That number is WAY too high.

If true, they're probably leaving in the Other World tournament and some Great Saiyaman filler, at the very least.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:52 pm

JPN kid Trunks is a little low for a child of his age, but it's cute. The American voice got better over time but it's still not what I would want. Goten is alright, but I'd prefer if they went with Colleen.

Maybe "infantile" is the wrong word, but Buu can string a sentence together without sounding retarded (i'm not using it in the slang pejorative sense). I love the Japanese voice and if they can find someone who can capture what Nakao capture for Freeza, Kōzō Shioya's voice is very easy to immitate.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:59 pm

Duo wrote:All I need is Kyle Hebert back as Gohan and I'm good to go.
Then you're good to go!

Someone asked Kyle a while back on his Facebook page if he missed being the narrator for Kai, and he responded that while he did miss it, he thought Doc Morgan was doing a great job, and that he was promised that he'd get to play Gohan again if Kai got that far. When it was announced that Kai was ending at episode 98, he posted a link to a news article saying such on his Facebook, prefaced with, "*Sigh*....Well, so much for playing Gohan again."

So yes, I'm sure other casting descisions are up in the air, but I'm 99.99% sure, based on Kyle's words, that he'll be returning for Gohan. I attribute that 0.01% to the unpredictability of a franchise that has, here and there, had some very shocking and unexpected developments.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."