Weirdest lies people have told you about the series?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Weirdest lies people have told you about the series?

Post by Castor Troy » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:56 pm

When you were first getting into the series, did anyone tell you any outrageous lies about it? or maybe you read something false on other sites?

I remember back when I was just getting into the series, I was playing Super Butoden 3 and my friend said that Dabura was the re-incarnated version of Zarbon. :shock: :roll:

In Super Butoden 2, when Cell inflates himself and is about to explode on Kaio's planet, my same friend told me that Cell turns into Buu and that Bojack was his guardian or something...

Last, but not least, the very same friend told me Yajirobe was playable in a DBZ game. :cry:

Anyone else have something to share as well?

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:19 pm

I had some friends tell me that it was weird that Bulma knew Gohan because she used to baby sit him. They also told me that some saiyan was going to come to earth to kidnap Gohan & train.

They told me a lot more but I don't remember right now.

Adnan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Adnan » Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:51 pm

Well it wasn't exactly a lie but me misunderstanding a truth. Before I had any clue of what DBZ was about, I was at my cousin's who was already a fan and he was watching some episode in the Cell saga. So I asked him what this was about.

After hearing his explanation I kinda understood that Cell had created all the saiyajin and he had come back to wipe them out and that Gohan managed to destroy his creator. Don't ask me how I understood it that way. :oops: It was quite a long time ago.

However there is one lie, one fabulously ridiculous lie I was told by a friend of mine when I was just starting to be a fan. He had explained to me that there were three shows: Dragonball, Dragonball Z and Dragonball GT. And here comes the lie! He told me the reason GT didn't last long was because it was too violent.

Yeah, ok. :roll:

And it wasn't a lie in the sense that he actually thought this was the real reason until I did the research myself (something my friend never does).

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:10 pm

I was once under the impression that once Goku and Vegeta turned SSj4, they were stuck that way. I don't know why I thought this. I knew it was completely different from Potara fusion, I knew about the Golden Oozaru - I just thought it was permanent.

Meh.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:16 pm

"In GT, King Vegeta is the main bad guy of the second Saga because they wished for the entire Saiyan race and planet Vegeta to be revived, along with the original Namek."

Lol...

_Jrinu_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by _Jrinu_ » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:24 pm

Here's a great one that my couson told me a long time ago...

He told me that the "Dead Zone" was a realm where you have to stand completly still with your arms straight out on either side for all eternity, and if you were to ever move, you would be attcked with saws, and guns until you died.

So if you were immortal like Garlic jr. you would continuiously be attacked forever.

And of course, I believed him.

Another one, which wasn't told to me but was something I misread in "Pojo's Unofficial Dragonball guide".

I was reading about the final episode of GT (which was years away for north america) and I read about how SSJ4 Goku and Vegeta fuse to defeat the final dragon.

As a 12 year old, I thought to myself that Goku and Vegeta would never be able to perform the fusion dance in time. So I somehow formulated in my mind that if Goku and Vegeta were to run towards eachother at full speed, and smack right into one another, it would have the same result as fusing.

So I went around believing this to be true for quite a while.
There is no better combination in the world than Dragonball, Cherry Pepsi, and Cheez-Its. It's a proven fact.
The Super Saiya-jin Bobba Fetts: Gym Class Badminton Champions 2006!!
Wii Friend Code: 1134 6268 9135 3724/ Xbox live gamertag: Jrinu
Jump Ultimate Stars Code: 2534 9452 9303

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:14 am

Pan can become a Super Saiya-jin.....if that's counted as a weird lie, I definitely thought it was kinda vague at first. Oh yeah, & the infamous DBAF.

Gohan921

Post by Gohan921 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:41 am

The biggest lie that I heard of was DBX. This was supposed to be the hentai version. What a damn lie.
http://www.myspace.com/gohan921

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:45 am

_Jrinu_ wrote:Here's a great one that my couson told me a long time ago...

He told me that the "Dead Zone" was a realm where you have to stand completly still with your arms straight out on either side for all eternity, and if you were to ever move, you would be attcked with saws, and guns until you died.
We all know how useful guns and saws are in DBZ. :roll:

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:47 am

Castor Troy wrote:We all know how useful guns and saws are in DBZ. :roll:
DragonBall, Chapter 1: Goku is shot, point-blank, in the head, by Bulma. He has a visible bump for the next couple panels.

Again, :roll:
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:05 am

I heard a few weird ones in my day. When the Freeza saga started airing on television (it was YTV here in Canada) my friend told me all sorts of wacky things he had read on the internet:

Vegeta learned the fusion dance from King Kai, and that they became Gogeta to defeat Boo.

I was told that the original japanese version contained sex scenes dealing with Bulma and Vegeta, and Goku and Chi chi. One of my friends still partly believes this against all logic. :? Cuz hell, if there was I would be the first to know!

I read somewhere that 18 and 17 were turned back into humans by Shen Long, probably because whomever wrote the bio at the time assumed that it was the only way 18 could have a child, and they didn't understand Japanese.

This one was actually my fault. When I first went online and started looking for information about the series, I started reading a rather bad fan-fic about another Freeza esque villian (named Freezla, how original) and mistook it for an episode summary. I have to say I felt pretty silly waiting for the Freezla saga.

One of the earliest rumors I remember was that the Saiyans were actually a race of war Gods, and therefore Goku was an immortal. I can see how one might arrive at this conclusion if you watched the Raditz fight without any idea of what they were saying, but of course I figured that one out pretty quick.

That Chi chi and Videl were also Saiyans who had lost their tails and were raised as Earthlings.

I think the most amusing thing though, was reading the story summary behind the Trunks saga and completly writing it off as fan-made. I mean a teenage Super Saiyan, from the future, who happens to be the love child of Bulma and Vegeta, and kills Freeza in one hit? I laughed at how utterly ridiculous the idea was...joke was on me though. :oops:

t-bone135
Beyond Newbie
Location: Living in a box under the stairs in the corner of the basement of the house half a block down. . .

Post by t-bone135 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:37 am

I believed that Vegeta had to hold Kid Buu in place and take a shot from the spirit bomb, but that because the spirit bomb only obliterates those of a pure evil heart Vegeta survives and Kid Buu is destroyed. That's the best one I got.
Best. Slip 'n' slide. EVER!

Come read my fan-fiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/~tbone135

ItsAllGood
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ItsAllGood » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:51 am

Early on, I was told by a younger family member that Goku loses it after tring to force a transformation into Golden Oozaru and basically ends up looking like a SSJ4 but is as wild and frenzy-like as the Oozaru. For some reason I visualised him frothing at the mouth and all, at the time... :twisted:

Another situation i was told that Goku grows old and hobbles around with a walking stick, grey hair and all, but if he gets angry, He changes into SSJ4, but with grey hair. Funnily enough, I think the SSJ5 drawings I've seen may have added to the belief at the time.

Strange, I know, but I think DBAF could have contributed to these rumours! :lol:

Ultimate Tofu Guy Drift

Post by Ultimate Tofu Guy Drift » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:47 am

I think I am the only one who actually enjoyed the lies. Whilst I was a newcomer to the Dragonball world, the lies added a different dimension to the series and allowed my imagination to run wild with all sorts of possiblities.

One lie I clearly remember was a friend telling me that there was a "History Of Trunks 2". Apparantly, once Trunks arrived back in his timeline and defeated the androids and cell, android 16 was still lurking about. Except in Trunk's timeline he's far more powerful than cell. So the two have a fight, then basically they become friends and 16 helps rebuild the city. Believing this, I then went on telling people about it, until I realised it was a crock.

Then there was the stage where for some reason people got in there heads that uncut dbz had sex and swearing and was far more violent than what we saw on the english dub.

Also people told me that in japan each episode went for double the time in the dub and that they cut 20 minutes of material each episode.

As I said, it was fun being able to imagine what action happened in the cut 20 minutes, and what this fully uncut DBZ was like.

Steven Perry
Advanced Regular

Post by Steven Perry » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:20 am

According to one of my friends, you were able to use Trunks' sword in Dragonball Z: Budokai. "All you have to press is R1+R2+L1+L2, UP, DOWN, CIRCLE."

Man, I spent hours trying to do that. :oops: It was quite believable, too; why would Trunks have a sword on his back if you couldn't use it? That's not the only lie I've been told, either... My "Official Playstation 2 Cheat Book" (or something like that) stated that you could transform into a Super Saiyan 3. Yeah right. :|
XBL: CallyMan90 | YouTube | DeviantART

~ LAST SURVIVING MEMBER OF ROOM 29 ~

Nekoni
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nekoni » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:22 am

When I was starting to be a fan, my big sister (Hey, I was 11!!!) Told me that Bardock was actually Goku going undercover to infiltrate the evil saiyans... :shock:

And Brolli was SSJ4 Goku with a shave ^_^;
I was once under the impression that once Goku and Vegeta turned SSj4, they were stuck that way. I don't know why I thought this. I knew it was completely different from Potara fusion, I knew about the Golden Oozaru - I just thought it was permanent.

Meh.
Oh but how I wish that were true! *loves SSJ4*

I've heard so much nonsense I can't list it XD basicly I stopped being gulliable enough to believe 'em after a coupla' months.

I remember the, 'There was a G/CC KISS scene that was cut!!!' one too, hahah... there was so much enthusiasm over that...
think the most amusing thing though, was reading the story summary behind the Trunks saga and completly writing it off as fan-made. I mean a teenage Super Saiyan, from the future, who happens to be the love child of Bulma and Vegeta, and kills Freeza in one hit? I laughed at how utterly ridiculous the idea was...joke was on me though
:) It does sound completely ridiculous don't it...
I actually did the same for the series 'SonicX' XP

I think the only 'big' lie I've heard recently is, 'Turles is Goku's evil twin!!!' (or the constant 'Vegeta's more powerful than Goku' but hey, what can we do about that?)
http://nekoni.deviantart.com Your friendly neighbourhood artist.

wannywan
Beyond Newbie

Post by wannywan » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:33 am

Biggest whopper has to be the whole Dragonball AF thing IMO.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSPpkxkjpPg]Picto-hame-ha![/url]

DBZ MAN
Regular

Post by DBZ MAN » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:20 am

-DBZ Trading Card Game

ME: "Oh my God how did you get Cell?"

Little Boy: "He's in the next expansion pack"

ME: "What one is that?"

Little Boy: "The Sega Saga"

ME: "........Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight"

More to come
http://dbz-man.deviantart.com/

Dark Vegeta-Sama
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dark Vegeta-Sama » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:31 pm

1. The dude in the jacket who cuts Freeza up with a sword is Vegeta.

2. King Kai was once the earth's strongest warrior, until he died of old age.

3. Goku and Chi Chi get divorced in Dragonball GT.

Mike
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mike » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:17 pm

Dark Vegeta-Sama wrote:3. Goku and Chi Chi get divorced in Dragonball GT.
That is by far one of the funniest things I have ever heard. :lol: