Official "Dragon Box: The Movies" Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Official "Dragon Box: The Movies" Thread

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:39 pm

Heyas!

We've had a few threads popping up about this, but since the set is actually out now, I figured it's time to consolidate everything into one place.

In addition to your own thoughts, don't forget to check out our feature all about the set, updated whenever we get a chance! :)

http://www.daizex.com/general/feature/
Last edited by VegettoEX on Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Raiden

Post by Raiden » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:24 pm

Just amazing!
Thanks for the pictures!
My movie box will arrive tomorrow!
Read you from Spain!

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:39 pm

Raiden wrote: Read you from Spain!
JAJA! Bienvenido! Yo tambien soy de Espa/na!

Anyways, that screenshot is absolutlely gorgeous! I'd like to see a screen cap from one of the Dragonball movies and one of the early Dragonball Z movies just to see how they withstood the test of time.

Steven Perry
Advanced Regular

Post by Steven Perry » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:15 pm

HOLY CRAP! You're such a lucky guy, Mr. LaBrie! My eyes were literally popping out of my head this morning, as I eagerly anticipated the opening of "the box". Thanks for the images; I'm going to try and purchase one (In my dreams :cry: ).

Oh well... I guess my UK editions will do (the ones with s-*Unicorn* voices and such). Oh yeah, I've noticed that Turles says something like "Thanks to my idiot brother". If he's not referring to Goku, then who? Doesn't matter; they probably made a mistake at the recording studio.

By the way, Michael... That scouter looks sexy! They're supposed to travel across the universe, but room- to- room will do. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll be feasting my eyes upon this god- like box set. And dreaming.
XBL: CallyMan90 | YouTube | DeviantART

~ LAST SURVIVING MEMBER OF ROOM 29 ~

kinoko
Beyond Newbie

Post by kinoko » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:20 pm

Omigosh so beautiful! I'm jealous, Mr. EX. Please tell us how the rest of the movies are, if you would. ^^ maybe even DB movie 3 +cough+ ...

Seeing as I've never seen any of the DBZ movies other than the first three dubbed, and now knowing they're out all pretty and remastered 'n' stuff, it's utter insanity. Maybe once I get some cash, I'll pick it up. ^^

Thanks so much for the special feature and pictures![/quote]
The Resident Tenshinhan Fangirl.

Steven Perry
Advanced Regular

Post by Steven Perry » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:30 pm

I love that cool link on the front page! Now, everyone in the world can see it! :lol:

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:34 pm

I got my box today, damn, totally worth the money. Later this evening I am going to pop in Movie 13 [and maybe DB movie 3 after it] and I am just litterally super-anticipating it.

I love how the box is designed, and the raises in the packaging, fuck, godly as all ever loving hell.
Monday I am going to start my comparisons dutifully for the masses.

Steven Perry
Advanced Regular

Post by Steven Perry » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:47 pm

Hey Lost in thought and VeggetoEX, seeing as though you've got your scouters... Hows about checkin' my power level? I'm powering up right now. Aaaaarrrgggggg!!!!!!! Prepare for them to explode!

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:19 pm

Steven Perry wrote:Hey Lost in thought and VeggetoEX, seeing as though you've got your scouters... Hows about checkin' my power level? I'm powering up right now. Aaaaarrrgggggg!!!!!!! Prepare for them to explode!
No can do, they only work in a relatively close proximity, you know faulted/stilted technology as it is?

Eventually we'll transcend the need for scouters, and then, maybe, you shall have your reading.

*goes back to watching Movie 13, and enjoying every momemnt.*

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:28 pm

Wow! Amazing stuff! I'm so jealous, I wanna own it too! Anyhow, those scouters look really cool. And that screenshot you took from movie 13 looks amazing, what great quality! Heh, wow! I'm really happy now for some reason, haha.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Official "Dragon Box: The Movies" Thread

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:41 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Heyas!

We've had a few threads popping up about this, but since the set is actually out now, I figured it's time to consolidate everything into one place.

In addition to your own thoughts, don't forget to check out our feature all about the set, updated whenever we get a chance! :)

http://www.daizex.com/general/feature/
Holy crap! It's Mike with a scouter!!

Well, there goes the mystery...

I can't tell the differance with these new pictures, they don't look at all 'clean-up' must just be me....
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Blitzen
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Blitzen » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:15 pm

I was always under the impression a Dragonbook wasn't going to be included, nuts to me though. I'm curious, however, as to where it's positioned. Normally with the other boxes, the last "volume (disc case)" would have two discs, and no disc holder, and the book rests there. Is the book part of the box?

I'm not sure when I'm getting mine, but hopefully soon. This does look like a real treat!

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:18 pm

Blitzen wrote:I was always under the impression a Dragonbook wasn't going to be included, nuts to me though. I'm curious, however, as to where it's positioned. Normally with the other boxes, the last "volume (disc case)" would have two discs, and no disc holder, and the book rests there. Is the book part of the box?

I'm not sure when I'm getting mine, but hopefully soon. This does look like a real treat!
As with the GT box, the Dragonbook is in the box but not in an actual disc case. I don't like that setup quite as much, but I'm still good about making sure it doesn't get all messed up.

Got to watch more of this beautiful box today, BTW. I'm still very happy with my purchase, and even made the girlfriend sit through movie 12. I'm working on converting her ;)

-Corey

Kaze no Mune
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kaze no Mune » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:30 pm

Thanks for doing a great indephth page on the Dragonbox Movies, EX! And that scouter looks great on you. :)

I can't wait to see those movie comparisons... so I can know what I'm missing out on. ^o^;
[b]PSN: Mune-sama[/b]

Add me for some HD Remix or SF4.

Silent_Rage

Post by Silent_Rage » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:44 pm

Dude, you are so lucky! You're living every hardcore DBZ fan's dream. :P

/\ /\ This is pretty funny! /\ /\

jnj13

Post by jnj13 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:23 pm

About the picture quality compared to Funimation's releases...

Is it about the same overall quality difference between the other Dragonboxes and their respective Funi releases, or is there less/more of a difference?

I realize that this will probably be on the feature, but if someone can give a brief and general answer, that would be great.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:29 pm

Those scouters are so awesome! :3
I greatly enjoyed the walkthrough/adventure feature on the box.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:41 pm

jnj13 wrote:About the picture quality compared to Funimation's releases...

Is it about the same overall quality difference between the other Dragonboxes and their respective Funi releases, or is there less/more of a difference?

I realize that this will probably be on the feature, but if someone can give a brief and general answer, that would be great.
There is a great difference between the two. I'll link an image from Mike's comparison guide between the Pioneer distribution, Dragonbox, and the Ultimate Uncut for a good idea of the differing quality:

http://www.daizex.com/general/feature/u ... ssless.png

As you can see, the DragonBox is cleaner and looks more 'realistic' in the skin-tone and pigment, where as the Funimation releases look more orange/pinkish than the average pigmentation.

Note: The DragonBox image listed is that of the DragonBall Z box(es), however, short of letter-box appearance, the movies are pretty much the same if not exactly.

They look beautiful, to boot.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:50 pm

jnj13 wrote:About the picture quality compared to Funimation's releases...

Lost explained it mostly, but to add a few things:

-The Toei discs are made from a new master. This means there's no cel damage and much, much less grain than the masters FUNi is using (which are probably quite old at this point).

-FUNi cranks up color saturation and applies a sharpening filter which results in lots of artifacting, enhances the presense of grain and causes Piccolo to be so green it burns your retinas ;p

-FUNi also encodes their discs at a poor bitrate, which not only results in loss of quality in general, but brightness especially.

In short: Dragonbox FTW. Mirite? ;)

-Corey

Blitzen
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Blitzen » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:51 pm

I'd very much like to see a comparison between something more recent, such as movie #12.