Listing for "Ocean Dub"-specific DBZ: "Rock the Dragon" Set

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kidglov3s
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Listing for "Ocean Dub"-specific DBZ in July

Post by kidglov3s » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:15 am

I have the Pioneer DVDs, but if this has an improved transfer (not that the film transfer could or should be better if this is to be a faithful presentation of the original syndication broadcasts, I would never expect them to say go through the Blu Ray Level Set remastering and recreate these episodes as they were edited, but there's room for improvement as far as encoding/compression go, even the R4 discs showed an improvement over them in screenshot comparisons) and the openings and previews (like the R4 discs) I would be tempted to upgrade but probably not for more than $30 or so.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:45 am

Craddle wrote:I find it funny that I tried to let you guys know it was legit based on the product code info that was leaked and everyone thought it was a joke. (/ingored me same thing.)
How do we know it is legit, though?

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:01 am

sangofe wrote:
Craddle wrote:I find it funny that I tried to let you guys know it was legit based on the product code info that was leaked and everyone thought it was a joke. (/ingored me same thing.)
It's on Rightstuf. If I understand correctly, Rightstuf is basically FUNi's no.1 distributor.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:04 am

Metalwario64 wrote:
sangofe wrote:

It's on Rightstuf. If I understand correctly, Rightstuf is basically FUNi's no.1 distributor.
I think sangofe was referring to the original listing that only had 26 episodes, instead of the new listing that has all 53 episodes and movies.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:05 am

I'll be honest. I just didn't read the news at the main page... I only browsed the forums quickly this morning. So, it appears this is not a redub, but the exact same thing that got released by Pioner earlier (with possibly different video?)

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:19 am

So this is actually happening eh? I'm actually pretty psyched for some reason. There's no way in hell I'm buying this for 100 bucks but psyched nonetheless. Maybe I'm just hoping if this is a hit we'll finally get this show released in 4:3 again somehow. I want to restart my collection but my only options right now are god awful chopped in half saturated nonsense or shelling out mind numbing amounts for an out of print release.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:29 am

I'm actually pretty excited for this release. This is the DragonBall Z I "grew up on". This dub brings back some great memories of my early fandom. I would have bought this even if it didn't have the movies included in it. That addition just made me want it even more.

I just hope the transfer is a little better. Mostly for the movies sake.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:33 am

All right, FUNimation, sell me the sizzle... I already own these versions of the TV episodes as well as the 3 movies.

- Are there any substantial upgrades or differences in the video/audio/presentation department?
- Will you be using better quality footage?
- Any remastering done?
- Less/more censoring?
- Will the TV version of Tree of Might be included?
- Will the Japanese audio be included on anything?

Hopefully these can be answered before the release date.
Tanooki Kuribo wrote:I'm actually pretty excited for this release. This is the DragonBall Z I "grew up on". This dub brings back some great memories of my early fandom. I would have bought this even if it didn't have the movies included in it. That addition just made me want it even more.

I just hope the transfer is a little better. Mostly for the movies sake.
I would be more excited if I didn't already own these. Plus, I have a fan-remastered version where they used Dragon Box footage and synched it up with the audio, so... this fan-made release has less censoring than my DVDs/VHS tapes. That's why I asked the above questions. Is there anything this new set can offer me besides a nice box and booklet?
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:43 am

sangofe wrote:I'll be honest. I just didn't read the news at the main page... I only browsed the forums quickly this morning. So, it appears this is not a redub, but the exact same thing that got released by Pioner earlier (with possibly different video?)
Eh, there might be some redubbing. I won't repeat his name, because it's apparent now that he broke an NDA when revealing this (and I'd like to minimize the odds of his getting in trouble), but a certain Canadian voice actor of a certain character mentioned to a certain Kanzenshuuer that he was "re-doing some lines." At the time, we interpreted this to mean that he was working on the Ocean dub of Kai (which he apparently is)....but now, it seems more likely that "re-doing some lines" comment might actually be referring to this release right here. So, really, there are three possibilities with regard to "re-dubbing":

1. It's the exact same dub, quite literally, that was heard back in the mid-to-late 90's.
2. It's the exact same dub, save a few lines here and there that have been redubbed, possibly due to missing audio files. Chris Sabat has mentioned before that on rare occasions he's had to re-record some of his Vegeta stuff for subsequent home releases because they couldn't find the original audio files for his lines. This possibility holds some particularly interesting implications, because if they bothered to re-do some stuff, that implies that this might actually be a new transfer.
3. It's the exact same dub...as far as the script is concerned...but they've redubbed everything. I don't think this is likely at all, but if there's one thing this franchise has taught me, it's to never rule anything out.
Last edited by TheBlackPaladin on Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:43 am

The more I think about this, the more questions I have. I wonder if this will have those lines that were only heard in the initial broadcast. You know like the "I smell death in the air" or "Any other child would have died". If not no biggie, but it'd be nice.

Scott
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scott » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:54 am

Metalwario64 wrote:
Scott wrote:
penguintruth wrote:Perhaps "Cargo Robot Edition" would have worked. Or "Just Wait Until That Arm Grows Back Edition". Oooh, how about "Frothy Mugs Of Water Edition"?
Seriously what is your problem ? Since this topic started every comment of yours has been whinny and bitchy. We get it you don't like it, that doesn't mean you need to bitch about it at any given opportunity.
Uh, what is your problem? How is he "whinny[SIC] and bitchy" by making jokes about the old censorship? What's with all these defensive posts people have been making in retaliation to penguintruth's more tame posts as of late? :?
He's basically being a dick about the dub to get reaction. He's not just making jokes he is trying to get his point across about how bad HE thinks it is.

If us fans of the Ocean Dub had made similar comments about the Funimation dub at any given opportunity we would probably have been banned by now. He's just trolling.

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:00 pm

OH MY GOD

ALL OF MY MONEY

That box set looks gorgeous. Time for a trip down nostalgia road.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:01 pm

I think a bunch of us who lived through the 1996-1998 dub cracking jokes about its title by dropping a few hilarious lines of dialog from said dub is hardly "trolling".

There's nothing to "troll" about anymore with regard to the product. It's an archived piece of history that doesn't affect anyone. I think there's pretty much nothing left on the table at this point.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:12 pm

theoriginalbilis wrote:- Will the Japanese audio be included on anything?
The RightStuf listing says no.

Maaaaybe I'd be interested if they did boxed sets of the whole thing, as I am an American and the post-Freeza arc Ocean Dub is essentially mythical to me. Purely out of curiosity.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:15 pm

B wrote:
theoriginalbilis wrote:- Will the Japanese audio be included on anything?
The RightStuf listing says no.

Maaaaybe I'd be interested if they did boxed sets of the whole thing, as I am an American and the post-Freeza arc Ocean Dub is essentially mythical to me. Purely out of curiosity.
Trust me you're not missing out on anything good. If you don't want your fond memories of the early Ocean dub ruined then I suggest you avoid the later Ocean dub as it doesn't even come close to their early dub. Plus I'm pretty sure Funi don't hold the rights to it.

TheWhiz
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheWhiz » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:28 pm

http://www.animecornerstore.com/drzbrodrbcoe.html

It's going to be called the "Rock The Dragon Collectors Edition. And the release date is now been pushed back to August according to this website. Also is a video link to the video where I found this website.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wqxkTGQS4Y.

The boxset comes with the Original Japanese version with English subtitles, aswell as the 3 Ocean dub movies.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:37 pm

RightStuf lists the set as "Dubbed in English" only. If there were more than two audio tracks, they'd have put a "(Hyb)" on the listing. Great more stuff to clarify!
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:57 pm

If anything has dual audio, it'll be the movies. It's not really "The original broadcast" if they include all the scenes that were not previously dubbed by the Ocean actors.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

Fennekin
Not Banned

Post by Fennekin » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:47 pm

Is AB Group? If they are, couldn't FUNimation get the rest of the episodes from them?

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:54 pm

I wonder, if that`s this "Something awesome related to Dragon Ball" thing, that was announced few months ago, as for this set, i might got it, but, i would prefer to have entire series, it won`t be possible through, because, from what i remember, from 53th episode to Android saga, there is no Ocean dub of it at, and i doubt they will record these missing episodes now.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015