What did you LIKE about GT?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

What did you LIKE about GT?

Post by theoriginalbilis » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:43 am

Browsing the forum, I noticed a lot of bashing about GT or ways that it could be improved... Now I know the GT anime had a lot of problems (mentioned countless times before on previous threads), so my question is...
What did you like about GT? Anything at all? Even one thing?
For me, even though there were aspects of GT I HATED, I do like:

1) The music: The OPs and EDs were catchy and memorable enough for me to go and buy the CDs. "Dan Dan" has got to be one of the best anime themes ever. Hell, I even liked the BGM. While different from DB/DBZ, I thought it was of a professional quality and some of it very catchy.

2) SSJ4: Even though it doesn't fit into DB continuity or even look like a SSJ, I liked the design. SSJ4 Goku and SSJ4 Vegeta were one of the only "badass" things in the show.

3) The attempt, I said ATTEMPT, to infuse the adventure/comedy aspect of DB with the action of DBZ. I give the animation/writing team kudos for trying to think up some decent stories and adventures for the Z-senshi. But sometimes the stories were silly (like the Para Para brothers, those "dancing guys") and really hard to watch early on. Later on during through the end of the "Baby" arc through the "Evil Shen Long" arc, I felt the ideas and stories presented were much improved.

4) The ending: C'mon, folks. The GT ending was better than the endngs to DB/DBZ. Clips of the whole DB series set to Dan Dan and Goku flying off into the sky was very emotional and a much more fitting end than Goku leaving his family to train some kid.

5) Kuririn's death: A small scene, but I loved it. 18's reaction to her dead husband and her subsequent rage was pretty damn cool. And it was very sad and heart-wrenching when she collapsed next to Kuririn, reaching for his hand.

6) Piccolo's death: Another emotional scene. Piccolo made the biggest sacrifice ever so the Black-Star Dragonballs would disappear: dying and never coming back to like. He even had to live the rest of his existence in Hell just to help Goku escape. These two scenes actually showed how much Piccolo had changed over the course of DB/DBZ/GT. He was now a selfless being, and a true hero.

I'll never forget his words to Goku: "Don't you talk about giving up! You're Son Goku! And Son Goku can do anything!" or something along those lines...

Anyway, those are my thoughts. I hope you guys will share what you liked (maybe even disliked if you hate GT enough)
Last edited by theoriginalbilis on Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:51 am

I didn't care for the Ssj4 design, but I loved being able to play as it in Budokai 3.

And...that's about it.

Caracal
Regular

Re: What did you LIKE about GT?

Post by Caracal » Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:36 am

theoriginalbilis wrote:1) The music: The OPs and EDs were catchy and memorable enough for me to go and buy the CDs. "Dan Dan" has got to be one of the best anime themes ever. Hell, I even liked the BGM. While different from DB/DBZ, I thought it was of a professional quality and some of it very catchy.
Very true, though I personally don't like Blue Velvet.
2) SSJ4: Even though it doesn't fit into DB continuity or even look like a SSJ, I liked the design.
I agree. After seeing three (five if you want to count "USSJ" 1 and 2) levels where the character has blond hair, it's nice to see something a little different for once.
5) The ending: C'mon, folks. The GT ending was better than the endngs to DB/DBZ. Clips of the whole DB series set to Dan Dan and Goku flying off into the sky was very emotional and a much more fitting end than Goku leaving his family to train some kid.
I'm iffy on this. GT's did offer more closure, but Goku made the "complete circle" at the end of Z, going from a student to a teacher.
7: Piccolo's death: Another emotional scene. Piccolo made the biggest sacrifice ever so the Black-Star Dragonballs would disappear: dying and never coming back to like. He even had to live the rest of his existence in Hell just to help Goku escape. These two scenes actually showed how much Piccolo had changed over the course of DB/DBZ/GT. He was now a selfless being, and a true hero.
I some what agree, but I would have prefered it if Piccolo hadn't been killed off.

I can't think of anything else myself.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:43 am

Ya I really liked the music too. The only thing about it though was that I never thought it fit DB. It was almost like instead of the familiar and original stuff that was always a component of DB and DBZ, the creators decided to hop on the "let's use J-pop songs that have nothing to do with the series" trend that had started to hit anime at that time.

Like I said, I love the songs, and think the background version for "Dan Dan" that's played during the recap is really beautiful, but it's just not the same without Kageyama and the other regulars.

Anyway, I really liked Pan and thought she was cute. Just wish we could have seen her as a SSJ though. :D
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Nekoni
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nekoni » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:31 am

Don't get me wrong, I have lots of problems with GT! *cheesy grin* but I liked-

generaly, episodes 32 onwards.

Bebi: The bebi saga was interesting and rather original to me; Vegeta got himself posessed, AGAIN! It was a good plot with a good background.

SSJ4:... I do not know why, but the wild look it gives Goku is wonderful to me. (not rock star--- wild.) I didn't enjoy it quite so much on Vegeta as it was a 'second hand design' for him... and I just can't stop thinking about how those leather pants chaff his fur...

The Super 17 fighting: =P the ONLY thing I liked about that saga was the neat fight scenes.

The Dragons: You've got to admit, the designs for the evil dragons were quite interesting. It also answered few questions, like, 'What would happen if Goku lost all his clothes in battle' and 'What would Goku do if the baddy didn't WANT to fight' :lol: I liked Suushinron... the Sun Dragon (I haven't seen FUNi's dub) and his brother Shishinron. I also liked the possesor dragon *can't remember his number*

The songs: they were neat to! One of my favourites, 'sabitsuita machine gun de' is a GT ending song. And no, it has nothing to do with the ending being entirely composed of Gokus or featuring an adult Goku with a tail... :oops:
-that's not to be confused with the BG music, of course... 'cuz I pretty much hated that o_O

Pan: I kinda' like her because she's so realistic! She's your typical young girl trying to apear older with a crush on a guy WAY too old for her. :) Which amuses me so... It's so -normal!- and yet at the same time, she's the grandchild of SON GOKU!

Overall ending: as the topic was raised, I'll just say I don't like it ^_^; I'm not fond of my favourite things... coming to inconquerable endings *SNIFFLE* but that's just me. It WAS a good ending, and fit for the finale of a long-run series such as dragonball... ...still a tearjerker though...

Goku and Vegeta interacting: *giggle* sorry, the episodes between 56 and 62 (not many, I know) frankly rocked for me. It was like some strand of DBZ had eventually found itself again back when those two got back together into their arguing/comrade gig! I'm not sure what it is that happens when they meet up, excactly. It's something akin to jamming the same poles of a magnet together and laughing as they jump away and around eachother in your hands...
http://nekoni.deviantart.com Your friendly neighbourhood artist.

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:05 am

5) The ending: C'mon, folks. The GT ending was better than the endngs to DB/DBZ. Clips of the whole DB series set to Dan Dan and Goku flying off into the sky was very emotional and a much more fitting end than Goku leaving his family to train some kid.
And that's all.

HP
Beyond Newbie

Post by HP » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:03 am

GT is good.
beareyes [img]http://image1.beareyes.com.cn/joytlun/img/238.gif[/img]

Jodaku
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jodaku » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:07 am

1 & 2.

I thought the music was ok watching GT first time round (though I've always adored the instrumental Dan Dan), but then hearing it again in DB Movie 4: Path to Power, sometime after last watching GT, it really grew on me.

I've always liked the SSJ4 design (if only on Goku), it's different from the other forms, and I've just always thought it looked cool.

And somewhat tied into both things above, SSJ4 Goku's theme in Final Bout, "Hero of Hero's" is probably my favourite DB related theme ever.

Apart from that, I didn't really care for anything else in GT.

Smooth Criminal
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Smooth Criminal » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:18 am

The only thing I liked about GT was the intros and outros.

I felt they were far superior to those in DB/Z

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:35 am

HP wrote:GT is good.
What did you like about the series?
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:55 am

Hmm, what did I like about GT? Like almost everyone else, not much.

I did like the intro and the outro's. I also liked it that they had so many ending themes. I like those. xD

I also liked the everyone becoming evil thing... It wasn't as dumb as it was with Garlic Jr, thank god. But it was fun to see Gohan, Goten, Trunks and Bra evil. I liked that. Too bad they didn't have that big of a role after that! :(

I also liked episode 55, simply because of the flashbacks. Haha, poor GT. XP

Ohh, and I liked the Bra/Vegeta scenes. Can't help myself, sorry.

But that's kinda about it. I hated Goku being a kid again, I disliked Pan and SSJ4 didn't appeal to me that much at all, really. ^^;

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:47 pm

Being poor, I haven't been able to buy any of the DVDs to watch GT. And the only other way I could watch it would be the, ugh, English dub on YTV - but after watching two episodes (something about Pan turning into a doll?) I refused to watch it anymore.

Not because I didn't like it, I liked it about as much as I could like an English dub, but because the video looked like YTV had gotten the series on VHS, stored in the Toei basement for years, under a pile of magnets. Don't complain about the FUNi discs until you've watched YTV - hot holy hell, I almost thought they were fan-subs.

HP
Beyond Newbie

Post by HP » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:51 pm

theoriginalbilis wrote:
HP wrote:GT is good.
What did you like about the series?
The whole series.
Could have been MUCH better. DB and DBZ are. However, it is not the disgrace you all claim it to be. I like it. It's Dragon Ball. I like Dragon Ball.

But the songs (not the opening theme) are very weak compared to DB and DBZ's.
Last edited by HP on Thu May 04, 2006 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beareyes [img]http://image1.beareyes.com.cn/joytlun/img/238.gif[/img]

Domon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Domon » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:26 pm

Well, there was a topic like this a while back, so I don't feel like going into details, but I'll touch on a few points.

The series was generally entertaining. Certainly, there were flaws and the like, but the series as a whole was fairly entertaining and watchable. Also, compared to DBZ, GT has rather brisk pacing. Since there's no "stalling to catch up with the manga", there is little of the annoying staring contest syndrome that plagued the run of DBZ, as well as little of over-long, drawn-out, power up sequences. Not that they didn't happen, but most of the time, it felt as though a lot more happened in one episode of GT than 10 episodes of DBZ.

The ending, as many points out, was nice and touching. I know that not everyone likes it, but it did provide closure for the series, and let us know that things are going to be OK for the characters now(well, until the next big threat... :lol: ).

Mr. Announcer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr. Announcer » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:54 pm

The list is short.

-I believe certain episodes were animated VERY well. Technology and all that, but perhaps some of the designs were not so good...
-Some of the music was good like Dan Dan and Machine gun but like people have said, I don't like the whole use random J-pop song and switch endings every 5 seconds.
-I liked the ending enough for it to produce tears, but that's not too hard with me. It had a lot of closure and build up I guess but I'm not so sure how much i like the whole Gokuh leaving his family again thing.
-I liked the general plot up until about the Bebi saga. Pan was annoying but I guess an essential kind of character and I did like Gill.
-I also liked the direction they took with Goten's character but the way they changed other characters kinda bothered me.
For fanart that lacks in variety [url]http://www.announcerguy.deviantart.com[/url]

クリリンのことか~!!!

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:41 pm

The first 2 eps had somewhat of a nice "Post-Z" feel.

Then when the main cast went into space, that's what ruined it for me. :?

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:20 pm

I liked the idea behind the Evil Dragons. And I liked the SSJ4 design, though not it being an SSJ level. And Pan, Pan rules. That's... about it.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:32 pm

Hmm... let's see.

I'll second Domon's comments about the un-manga-restricted pacing, first of all.

Goku's becoming a kid again was an interesting (and funny) twist, but he shouldn't have stayed that way. As I've suggested before, I think SSj4 should have somehow brought him back to adulthood. And speaking of which...

As you can tell from my signature, Super Saiyan 4 is probably my favorite aspect of GT. I really like how it was so unique and different from the previous levels, to the point where it wasn't even really supposed to be just "another level." Rather, it was like an entirely different path of power. The fact that it made and centered around a return to the old-school, monkey-ish side of the Saiyans (in both means and looks) made it neat, too. And personally, I think it looks good.

Babi - The concept of the last of a race destroyed by the Saiyans wanting payback is a very good one. While I think it could have stuck to that path better, it was a very good story nonetheless (could've done without the Suguroku space thing and those two green nutballs [they suck so much I can't even remember their names], though).

Super 17 - I agree that the story was weak and kinda nonsensical, but I like Super 17 himself as a villian. Also, one thing I love about this saga is that the fights were on the level that they should have been for GT. Think about it and you'll agree with me; Goku and S17 were throwing punches so hard they were knocking each other clear across continents!

Dragons - Again, nice concept, but with overall bad execution. The "overused, disgruntled dragonballs spew out 7 evil dragons from the built-up negative energy" concept is really good, and a nice idea for the last story of DragonBall. Too bad most of the Dragons were sucky and ridiculous, and the entire saga served as nothing more than, surprise, surprise, more Goku-glorifying. Had the dragons been a little less crappy, and the other heroes been given a chance to shine (a la my "teams of two" idea I'm pretty sure I've mentioned), this part of the show could've been awesome, or at least comparable to DB/Z.

Plus, we got to see Gogeta again. Goofy, SSj4 or whatever, Gogeta still pwnz.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:16 pm

:P GT is my second favorite of the trilogy! w00t!

Anyway...My favorite things?

SSJ4 Enough said.

Bebi and the Bebi Saga The true succesor to a villian like Freeza in my opinion.

Sabitsua Machine Gun See 'SSJ4'.

Super 17 Good, but could've been longer.

:)
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.

Eat Snow
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Eat Snow » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:50 pm

I haven't seen a lot of GT, but I liked...

1. Some of the music. I especially like the one played in the background during Kuririn's death.

2. Hell Fighter 17. Even though he had a screen time of...what, five seconds at the most, I immediately became curious about him. He didn't talk all that much, and seemed to have little or no free will (in my view, at least, because he came when Gero ordered, fought Vegeta when told, and fused/died upon being commanded to do so). He seemed emotionless throughout his short appearence, save for a single smile at the camera, but that's kind of expected, seeing as he's an android (unless 17 had an identical twin brother who died at one point). Other then that I can't really explain why I liked him so much.

3. The Super 17 saga. Best fights, but it was way too short.

4. The wind/water dragon. Esis or something. I loved her character design.

5. Finding out that Gero is a magician (he fabricated those wine glasses out of nowhere).

6. The ending, pretty much for the same reason Domon typed.

That's all.
Last edited by Eat Snow on Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Assassins showing no regard for life
Tied around their arm
A red ribbon.