Most Useless Character

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AnzuMazaki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Most Useless Character

Post by AnzuMazaki » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:42 pm

djkalteraphine wrote:None of the characters are useless. Everyone comes and serves their purpose and sticks around to remind you that this is an evolving, progressive story.

Honestly, this fandom's obsession with "use" is baffling to me. Toriyama made this rich, fun story full of a huge ensemble cast of lovable characters, and so many people just want to shit on it.
Finally...another person who thinks that none of the canon characters are useless :D
I really hate it when people say certain characters are useless, it makes me tired of it...
Wishes she can change her name to YamchaFan (her name everywhere else)
Obssessed with the Earthlings and the original DB anime

YamchaFan's deviantART: https://yamchafan91.deviantart.com/
YamchaFan's Fanart Tumblr: https://yamchafanart.tumblr.com/
YamchaFan's YouTube (where you can see MikuMikuDance Videos): https://www.youtube.com/user/MihoNosaka

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:26 am

You can count me in with the both of you. It's like each and every character has to be "useful" to cool.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:31 am

Insertclevername wrote:You can count me in with the both of you. It's like each and every character has to be "useful" to cool.
Right. "Useless" in the sense that it's being used for this thread isn't its actual definition, but rather, "Didn't do stuff I think is cool".

example, "Gyuumao is useless!", translates into, "Gyuumao didn't do stuff I think is cool".

Tenshinhan-san
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tenshinhan-san » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:42 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
djkalteraphine wrote:You and I are watching a different show, clearly.
Please don't respond to people this way.

Everyone, if you're not willing to express your ideas completely and with a polite tone -- even in the face of opposing viewpoints -- this is not the community you should be participating in.
Really? So you felt the need to point out that post as rude rather than the ' if you don't contribute you're not worth shit.' bit that triggered it? Nice one. (And no, I didn't miss the 'Everyone, .. ' bit)

Personally I fully agree with djkalteraphine on this one. Not that I feel like we shouldn't (be able to) look critical at any type of medium, but I find this teenage/hormonal and frankly childish obsession with negativity - because topics like this one pop up frequently - horrible. To each his own I guess, but I'm surprised (in a bad way) that this kind of behaviour is apparently more appreciated than someone voicing they're 'not feeling' the negatvity/hostility per say.

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:46 pm

Tenshinhan-san wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:

Everyone, if you're not willing to express your ideas completely and with a polite tone -- even in the face of opposing viewpoints -- this is not the community you should be participating in.
Really? So you felt the need to point out that post as rude rather than the ' if you don't contribute you're not worth shit.' bit that triggered it? Nice one. (And no, I didn't miss the 'Everyone, .. ' bit)

Personally I fully agree with djkalteraphine on this one. Not that I feel like we shouldn't (be able to) look critical at any type of medium, but I find this teenage/hormonal and frankly childish obsession with negativity - because topics like this one pop up frequently - horrible. To each his own I guess, but I'm surprised (in a bad way) that this kind of behaviour is apparently more appreciated than someone voicing they're 'not feeling' the negatvity/hostility per say.
For what it's worth, I really appreciate you saying this.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:12 am

Tenshinhan-san wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:

I don't get how what I said can be considered rude. I was speaking more in line of a general perspective given we are talking about a manga which is more focused on the plot than developing the characters.

For what it's worth, I agree with djkalteraphine as well in that one's worth shouldn't be determined by contributions but the fandoms way of determining worths isn't all too far-fetched to me.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.