Did Gohan even lose power?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Did Gohan even lose power?

Post by Saiga » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:57 pm

Both enclosed, only difference being that he has his brow furrowed in one pic and not the other.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:59 pm

Saiga wrote:Both enclosed, only difference being that he has his brow furrowed in one pic and not the other.
No. Gohan's serious look is what you see when he is fighting Buu. His normal look is the one you see while powering up. The look below that one is more.... innocent shall we say.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

Cardle grave
Banned
Location: Dragonball Platinum is My home (743 evergreen terrace springfield)

Post by Cardle grave » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:02 am

TheMightyOzaru wrote:
Saiga wrote:Both enclosed, only difference being that he has his brow furrowed in one pic and not the other.
No. Gohan's serious look is what you see when he is fighting Buu. His normal look is the one you see while powering up. The look below that one is more.... innocent shall we say.
Might i will beat your pokemon team with

- Charizard
- Salamance
- Electriveir
- Aerodactyl
- blaziken
- metagroos

is there a picture of base gohan being serious in adult, I know in movie 10 there one that but is anime. Is there one in manga ?

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:03 am

TheMightyOzaru wrote:
The only difference is that he has a furrowed brow in the first picture, while he's powering up. It's not his serious look he had against Boo but it's quite clear that his brow is furrowed.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:05 am

Saiga wrote:
TheMightyOzaru wrote:
The only difference is that he has a furrowed brow in the first picture, while he's powering up. It's not his serious look he had against Boo but it's quite clear that his brow is furrowed.
He has a furrowed brow in the page where he powers up as well, but it's not as furrowed. I, personally, think that is a pretty clear difference.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:32 am

I've never seen the word "furrowed" so many times in one place before. :)
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:35 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:I've never seen the word "furrowed" so many times in one place before. :)
Neither have I :lol: .
Cardle grave wrote:Might i will beat your pokemon team with

- Charizard
- Salamence
- Electivier
- Aerodactyl
- Blaziken
- Metagross
Doesn't look too threatening to be honest. My Jolteon could practically solo this.
Youtube channel:
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

Vertical
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vertical » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:39 am

All of the images provided on the previous page were examples of the same eyes under differing expressions. Gohan's post-Ultimate eyes are permanently enclosed. Similar to Vegeta's family, and completely different from Goku's. Goku's family have eyes that detach from the eye brows and are not enclosed [unless they're SSJ].

Cardle grave
Banned
Location: Dragonball Platinum is My home (743 evergreen terrace springfield)

Post by Cardle grave » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:48 am

- Charizard
- Salamence
- Electivier
- Aerodactyl
- Blaziken
- Metagross[/quote]
Doesn't look too threatening to be honest. My Jolteon could practically solo this.
LOL yeah right in your dream, This is a powerful team and my electrivier is the worst possible match up for your jolteon. And so is my salamance and blaziken and metagross

do you play pokemon vortex ?

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:20 am

No but I am a competitive battler and your team doesn't look threatening at all. No serious player uses a Charizard :lol: . Your Salamence would get OHKOed by my Jolteon's hidden power ice, it's got nothing on Jolts.
Youtube channel:
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:29 am

Why is a conversation about the Pokemon games suddenly being inserted into the middle of a thread? Not a Pokemon forum, guys. Keep it on-topic, please.

Anyway, I figure Gohan lost a little bit of power. A small amount that wouldn't even be noticeable in his normal form, but becomes obvious once he goes Super Saiyan 2 (or even Super Saiyan 1). A drop from 70 to 60 becomes a lot easier to see when it becomes a drop from 7000 to 6000. The way I see it, it's a nice compromise between the somewhat-conflicted manga and guidebook statements of "his power didn't change [in base]" and "he's not as strong anymore [in Super Saiyan 2]."
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Beercorn

Post by Beercorn » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:06 pm

SSJ forms are weird. The concept of them being a power threshold implies that as long as Gohan can still go SSJ2, then he remains as strong as he was when he fought Cell, since that was the first time he had gone SSJ2.

It would make sense to me if he generally got weaker, but it's hard to say how that would affect his SSJ2 state. As for Vegeta's comment... well, he was jelly anyway. Maybe he was right and maybe he wasn't, but the guy was clearly just venting.

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:03 pm

Jelly of what? Vegeta was mad that Gohan was weak and couldn't finish Dabura off quickly.
Youtube channel:
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:20 pm

TheMightyOzaru wrote:No but I am a competitive battler and your team doesn't look threatening at all. No serious player uses a Charizard :lol: . Your Salamence would get OHKOed by my Jolteon's hidden power ice, it's got nothing on Jolts.
Fight Fight Fight Fight Fight Fight Fight Fight Fight

On topic I think Gohan got weaker but not by that much. And that's not including his rage boost he had at the cell games.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:36 pm

I don't think it was stated Gohan got weaker or lose power, only that we was stronger when he fought Cell. His power is the same in both Cell Games and Fat Boo Saga. The difference is when he fought Cell he could use most of his strenght through anger or even release it all at once by launching a father-son kamehameha. Vegeta's comment is about the lack of training that made Gohan so apparently pathetic that he could beat Dabra as a brat. Unfortunately, he couldn't bring out his full power while fighting Dabra or Fat Boo.
Last edited by Hugo Boss on Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beercorn

Post by Beercorn » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:15 pm

TheMightyOzaru wrote:Jelly of what? Vegeta was mad that Gohan was weak and couldn't finish Dabura off quickly.
I feel like Vegeta has been jelly of Gohan ever since the Cell Games.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:26 pm

When Gohan is fighting, his hair is different, and his eyes are "locked" into angry-mode even when he isn't angry (like with the SS forms, minus SSFP), as you can see:
And if you count M13 & BoG, we see that Gohan has to power-up like he is transforming when he goes "Ultimate" (and we see him in GT & BoG going SS alternatively). I'm not saying it's a transformation, I'm saying that base & Ultimate 2 different states.

So, I believe that it wasn't an error in the Daizenshuu, because Gohan never was "Ultimate" in the final volume. The enclosed eyes seem more like a side effect from the ritual.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:38 pm

Is it just me, or does Goku's face look messed up in that first picture?
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:42 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:Is it just me, or does Goku's face look messed up in that first picture?
The art in Boo arc is sadly messed up in general.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:11 pm

Beercorn wrote:
TheMightyOzaru wrote:Jelly of what? Vegeta was mad that Gohan was weak and couldn't finish Dabura off quickly.
I feel like Vegeta has been jelly of Gohan ever since the Cell Games.
I wouldn't use the term jealous but he was definitely not in approval of Gohan's power :lol: . However, Vegeta had surpassed him at this point so I don't see why his outburst would be out of jealousy when Vegeta is clearly superior.
Youtube channel:
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946