What did you LIKE about GT?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

_Jrinu_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by _Jrinu_ » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:58 pm

What I liked about GT? Hmm...

The Super 17 saga because it was all about old Z enemies.

And the last episode (not just because GT was finished) but, because it was a very good ending episode, It had the past clips, and the sentimental diolauge. And of course that cool "glimpse into the future."
There is no better combination in the world than Dragonball, Cherry Pepsi, and Cheez-Its. It's a proven fact.
The Super Saiya-jin Bobba Fetts: Gym Class Badminton Champions 2006!!
Wii Friend Code: 1134 6268 9135 3724/ Xbox live gamertag: Jrinu
Jump Ultimate Stars Code: 2534 9452 9303

MajinVegeta25
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MajinVegeta25 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:05 pm

I liked the idea of the Super 17 saga. But the FUNi dub is a lot worse than the original.

I really hate the idea of Goku being a kid again.

Kaze no Mune
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kaze no Mune » Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:28 pm

This answer will probably change when I eventually get the DVDs, but....

Long, long ago I saw the Super5 fansub w/o audio (I was quite the idiot when it came to some things with computers at the time, and didn't have the correct codec or something)... but I actually enjoyed most of GT, from what I can remember. The last episode being the highlight, the earlier episodes onward were great. If there was anything I didn't like, it would have had to have been the Bebi arc. I don't know why, but I remember feeling that it was too long/had been done before.
[b]PSN: Mune-sama[/b]

Add me for some HD Remix or SF4.

_Jrinu_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by _Jrinu_ » Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:09 pm

MajinVegeta25 wrote: I really hate the idea of Goku being a kid again.
I think everyone else did too. Because I'm sure that's why SSJ4 goku was an adult. They probably realized that the idea was kind of a flop. (my guess is that it was one of those "it sounded like a good idea at the time" deals.)
There is no better combination in the world than Dragonball, Cherry Pepsi, and Cheez-Its. It's a proven fact.
The Super Saiya-jin Bobba Fetts: Gym Class Badminton Champions 2006!!
Wii Friend Code: 1134 6268 9135 3724/ Xbox live gamertag: Jrinu
Jump Ultimate Stars Code: 2534 9452 9303

ulisa
Beyond Newbie

Post by ulisa » Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:14 pm

GT was a lot better than I heard it was. I heard it was just horrible and a complete disgrace but I don't think it was that bad. I have really two major quirks with it:

Trunks/Goten/Gohan: What did they do to them?! They were awesome fighters throughout Z. Gohan, to me, never seemed a scholar type. They should have kept him a fighter in my opion, the same deal with Trunks. I just can't imagine him being a president or anything of that matter. Not in his character. Goten became pretty rude in my opinion and I don't think that was in his character either. They tried to have the characters develop but I think they wound up ruining them.

Pan: I LIKED Pan at the end of Z but I _HATED_ her in GT. She turned rude, bossy, dishonorable and a various other things I didn't see in that little four year old, especially not with Gohan as Papa and Goku as Grandpa. No way...I don't buy it.

As for what I _DID_ like:

Evil Dragons Saga: Awesome idea. Dragonball stared with one Dragonball so I liked how they were using the Dragonballs as a major plot device again. They used them quite a bit as the series went on. Although I think everytime they used them was justified, they did use them a lot. Showing a consequence for it was awesome. I wish they'd let the others join in the search and battle against them. I love seeing the Son family work together and I think a battle with Goku, Gohan, Goten and Pan would have been awesome.

Super Saiyan Four: I love this form. Super Saiyan Two is still my favorite form but this form is a close second. It looks so different from the other forms and I have to admit those eyes are freaky looking but it gives it a maturity I think the other forms are lacking. Plus, the tail. I love the tail:)

Goku as a Kid: Now, I know this might be in the minority but I liked Goku becoming a kid again although I think, like many others, he shouldn't have stayed that way. But it was neat to see a fully grown Goku having to deal with the social norms in a childn's body, namely being ignored or not believed when if he'd been an adult, he'd have been much easier to believe. His body was a kid's but the way he spoke was not which I think made it awesome. I believe my favorite scene concerning that was during the Evil Dragons Saga, when they come across the village who count on the Sea/Wind Dragon. When the little boy's father throws an empty flask at him, Goku was livid and I thought that was very in depth character development. If Goku had been a kid in mind as well as body, he would have been upset but not to the point he was. By this point, he's raised two boys of his own. Abuse against children is most assuredly a not-okay.

The Last Episode: While I think Goku should have stayed with his family (I never did understand why he had to leave) but it made for an awesome memory episode, with all those past images flying by. A very potent ending I thought.

Ulisa:)
We truly begin to live when we find something we're willing to die for

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:52 pm

ulisa wrote: The Last Episode: While I think Goku should have stayed with his family (I never did understand why he had to leave) but it made for an awesome memory episode, with all those past images flying by. A very potent ending I thought.

Ulisa:)
Goku made a deal with Shenlong. His life in exchange for things to be put back as they were before. Shenlong would no longer just grant wishes for free when they got him back you see.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Nekoni
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nekoni » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:23 pm

Trunks/Goten/Gohan: What did they do to them?! They were awesome fighters throughout Z. Gohan, to me, never seemed a scholar type. They should have kept him a fighter in my opion, the same deal with Trunks. I just can't imagine him being a president or anything of that matter. Not in his character.
Personaly I found those fine *blinks* coming froma family buissiness myself, I totaly relate to Trunks... perhaps the problem you're having is with the normalacy of these space aliens =D

Gohan was a 'something like a scholar' by the end of Z, so blame Akira Toriyama for that one *grin*
Goku made a deal with Shenlong. His life in exchange for things to be put back as they were before. Shenlong would no longer just grant wishes for free when they got him back you see.
Can you tell us where this source is from? There's nothing in the episode which covered what was going on, so I'm confused as to whether this is a fan theory or a interview/book stated fact. I also hear that 'Goku had to purify the dragonballs for 100 years' or 'Goku had to fuse with shenron' in contradiction to the him giving up his life. The fusion one seems to be the most valid but- ah must not babble ^_^;
http://nekoni.deviantart.com Your friendly neighbourhood artist.

Vhanos
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vhanos » Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:24 am

- SS4 design
- Japanese opening theme
- The fights with Suoer 17 and Bebi

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:55 pm

I liked some of the things that others liked, but there is one thing not mentioned that I thought was very cool.

-Son Goku wearing a different uniform. Granted, he wore lots of different uniforms throughout DB and Z, but almost all of them were variants of the orange gi with blue undershirt look. The training patches would change as Goku progressedor what parts of it were weighted. Goku had the Yardrat armor on for a couple of episodes and the Saiyan Battle suit like Vegeta's on during his training to fight Cell, but niether of those lasted long enough.

The later half of DBZ was the same uniform for two sagas straight. Cell era and Buu eras had the exact same uniform. Every other character, no matter who it was had at least some small detail of thier uniform or outfit change as the story progressed. I just started to hate that Cell era uniform of Goku's by the midpoint of the Buu era.

I really liked the blue uniform. Granted, Goku wore blue at the begining of DB and at the very end of Z, but the GT Uniform had differences to it that distinguished it from those uniforms.

I guess blue was just a welcome change from orange for me.

tenkaichigoten

Post by tenkaichigoten » Thu May 04, 2006 8:41 pm

Goten had a few moments in GT.I made an AMV based on these moments.Although Goten got beat and knocked around by all the villians.
Kamekameha! - Goten

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Thu May 04, 2006 10:14 pm

I have to agree with Akira, in the regard that I liked the change of uniform. It would have been great if Goku used something different during the Boo arc, making it even more special when Gohan adorned Goku's "old orange Gi" for battle, which wouldn't have been seen in the arc until that point, had such occured.

Though, I really liked the green pants (end of Z) over the yellow pants from GT, though when I imagine Ssj4 with green pants I get sick to my stomach.

MisterFlashdude
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisterFlashdude » Fri May 05, 2006 2:22 pm

I appreciated that, even if it wasn't much, they atleast tried to give some of the other characters some fight time! They could have just left Goten and Gohan way out in left field, leading their 'normal' lives.

Grandmaster J
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Grandmaster J » Tue May 09, 2006 2:43 am

I didn't like anything about FUNimation's dubbing of the GT series....not one single thing. However, there were a few things I enjoyed about the Japanese version. The best one was the background music in the episodes. I thought it was fantastic. At times it could be very dramatic, and other times very heroic. The BGM was superior to the original Dragon Ball & Dragon Ball Z series' in my opinion (again, I'm referring to the Japanese versions). It always makes me smile.

Another thing I liked about GT was it's storylines, or the plots. I thought they were well thought out and very creative. I liked how they brought back older elements, like Goku's tail, and bringing back Cyborg 17 & Doctor Gero. The Evil Dragons was also a cool plot twister. It made a lot of sense to me, seeing as how everyone took advantage of the Dragon Balls in the past.

I kinda liked the changing of Goku's outfit as well. The colors went well together, baby blue & tan with the white belt.

All in all, I thought the GT series was pretty good, although 64 episodes is way too short. I can still watch it once in a while and enjoy it. The animation can't touch DB's and DBZ's though. To me, GT's animation had more of a comic book look to it, rather than fluid anime. And I thought the Super Saiyan 4 designs were horrible. Red body hair?! Where'd they get that idea? It didn't make any sense to me.

Dominator
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dominator » Tue May 09, 2006 4:00 pm

MajinVegeta25 wrote:I liked the idea of the Super 17 saga. But the FUNi dub is a lot worse than the original.

I really hate the idea of Goku being a kid again.
Wasn't Super 17 called Hellfighter 17 on FUNimation's DBGT website for a time?
[url=http://www.freewebs.com/vendavaleste/]Carrion - The Dominator Fansite[/url]

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue May 09, 2006 4:39 pm

Dominator wrote:Wasn't Super 17 called Hellfighter 17 on FUNimation's DBGT website for a time?
I believe "Hellfighter 17" was the name given to the new 17 that Myuu and Gero made in hell.

Hence the "hell."
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Tue May 09, 2006 6:47 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:
Dominator wrote:Wasn't Super 17 called Hellfighter 17 on FUNimation's DBGT website for a time?
I believe "Hellfighter 17" was the name given to the new 17 that Myuu and Gero made in hell.

Hence the "hell."
Indeed he was. In the Japanese version at least.

Hero 004
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hero 004 » Thu May 11, 2006 12:34 am

I liked the third volume of the Black Star Dragonball saga. I know that the plot was similar to the Oolong introduction in Dragonball, but it introduced some cool characters and was fun. I think it was the best set of episodes in that arc.

Super Saiyan 4 was cool of course and I enjoyed some of the Super 17 saga. The entire Shadow Dragon saga was awsome. Definatly the highlight of GT. The ending was great too, and so was the Goku Jr. special.

I also particularly liked certain attack sequences throughout the series:

. Vegeta's Galic Gun againced Baby
. All three Super Dragon Fist's used by Goku
. Vegeta's Final Shine attack
. Gohan's Kamehameha againced Super 17
. Piccolo's Special Beam Cannon againced Baby
. Gogeta's Big Bang Kamehameha
. Vegeta and Goku's Final Flash/Kamehameha double attack againced Omega Shenron

I can't say that I liked Pan, she bothered me. I don't think she was set up in DBZ to be a punk, but a nice and honerable fighter who's personality took after Goku's.
"Sometimes life is too uncertain to have regrets"- Goku

t0ffe3m4n
Beyond Newbie

Post by t0ffe3m4n » Fri May 12, 2006 10:00 pm

I actually found GT to be the most *gasp* entertaining series of the trilogy. Many of the good points have already been elaborated on, but here are mine:

- It didn't drag like Z did at times, and because it wasn't based on a manga each new episode was a complete suprise.

- The music. Oh, the music. x1000 better than DB's and Z's put together. I loved the arrangement on all of the pieces featured, including the 2 Dan Dan Kokoro Hikareteku orchestral tracks... they were outstanding. Speaking of Dan Dan, it has to be - bar none - my favourite anime opening theme of all time, and Sabitsuita Machine Gun is one of my favourite ED's ever also. It's just a damn shame that the BGM itself was recorded on a rather poor quality mono track.. :cry:

- Super Saiyan 4 - my favourite Super Saiyan form. Everything about it reeks of badassness! :mrgreen: Major props to whomever designed it (Toriyama himself, maybe?)

- Baby and Super 17. Awsome villains in my humble opinion, I loved Baby Vegeta's design in particular.. very original and badass. Also, when Super 17 was first introduced and he started owning things up like he wasn't even trying... my jaw hit the floor. :shock:

- The reintroduction of old-school DB elements, such as Chibi Goku, the Saiyan tail, the *brief* "revival" of all of the past villains including Cell and Freeza, and a more dragonball-driven plot in general.

- Some of the animation and artwork was awsome at times. Two episodes that instantly spring to mind are 34 and 60. It's just a shame that it wasn't really consistant enough during the duration of the series.

- A lot of the fight sequences, including the Vegeta vs. Baby Gohan fight, SSJ4 Goku vs Baby Vegeta, and SSJ4 Gogeta vs. Ii Shenron...

- ... and speaking of Gogeta - OMG! By far one of the best parts in the series. The word "goosebumps" comes to mind. :wink:

- The techniques, in particular the Ryuu Ken. I loved seeing that again.

- Finally, the ending. Best. Ending. Ever. Enough said. 8)

I probably haven't even covered everything I like about it, but those are certainly the main points.

... oh, and.. uh.. hi everyone - I'm new! :lol:

Mr. Announcer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr. Announcer » Fri May 12, 2006 10:09 pm

Welcome Toffe, and I guess I'm just gonna have to agree to disagree with you on the whole GT thing.
For fanart that lacks in variety [url]http://www.announcerguy.deviantart.com[/url]

クリリンのことか~!!!

t0ffe3m4n
Beyond Newbie

Post by t0ffe3m4n » Fri May 12, 2006 10:16 pm

Mr. Announcer wrote:Welcome Toffe, and I guess I'm just gonna have to agree to disagree with you on the whole GT thing.
Oh dear lol. Ah well, different tastes and all the rest I guess! :mrgreen: Thanks for the welcome. :)