One more time: Z Music suggestions :)

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

One more time: Z Music suggestions :)

Post by cRookie_Monster » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:04 pm

So, we did this once a long time ago when I first joined here http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =12&t=6719

but now there's a wave of artists doing covers\remixes and some of them quite good and inventive. I think it's time I whipped out a concentrated set of Z tunes...but this time not so much in the Faulconer style. I think I proved my point there, I need to go beyond. Maybe I'll throw some hints here and there, but nothing like I did before.

Anyway, the idea is to get character, place, attack, battle, etc suggestions for focus/inspiration. Maybe give a hint to what you think the style should be too, anything goes.

I know one thing I never did that I got a lot of requests for was the "Cell absorption theme", that was supposed to be more Faulconer style. Also Piccolo probably deserves some more love beyond that little improv I did a long time ago. Vegeta has probably been done to death, but if you have new ideas for that let'er rip :) I always wanted to write a darker SSJ1 Transformation theme, maybe that'll happen. Buu themes maybe something I should tackle as well along with SSJ3. I kinda avoided Julius' stuff because back then I wasn't sure who did the originals.
- Scott
http://morganstudios.com

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Re: One more time: Z Music suggestions :)

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:09 pm

I like to see a simple, lighthearted Chiaotzu theme. Maybe something like Fat Buu's, with some Chinese-sounding noises in it (if that makes any sense :P )

But barring that, Piccolo deserves another good theme. "Super Namek" is one of my favorites, but I feel like he could have a different one for his earlier appearances, specifically his growth from villain to mentor/father-figure in the Saiyan Arc.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:38 pm

Yamcha theme. This should be goofy as fuck.... :lol:
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Coycoy88
Beyond Newbie

Post by Coycoy88 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:00 am

Would re-creating any of the Buu saga tracks get you in trouble with Faulconer, or would it be fine since you had long since left when those themes were created? If so, even some sound-alike covers would be cool. It would be interesting to hear your take on some of the Buu Saga themes, like Super Buu's theme for example. That theme has some great guitar shredding potential, haha! :)
My Youtube account (Coycoy88)

I primarily rip and upload unreleased Faulconer Productions music, as well as some other American dub music.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:19 am

It'd be cool to see your own take on a Freeza or a Yi Xing Long (Omega Shenron) theme.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:20 am

I'd love to hear some music based off of Battle of Gods. Maybe a Birusu/Bills/Beers or Super Saiyan God theme.

Even better maybe in that there is two compositions and they are very, very similar but that the villain version inspires terror, destruction and a general sense of "we're screwed!" while the Super Saiyan God version has themes that make you think of something powerful, awe-inspiring and a "Wow..." factor that leaves you speechless.

Apart from that, I'm always eager for some new takes on music based on Cell ^_^.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:20 pm

I agree, I would like music based on the themes of Battle of God's soundtrack!!!
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:30 am

A sort of childish yet chaotic theme for Buu. Sort of like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIop055eJhU or this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlGxcekfsho

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:35 am

When I think of modern Dragon Ball music outside the Faulconer style, I usually think of slightly rocky tunes with lots of trumpets and some strings here and there--no doubt thanks to Yamamoto, although there are some Kikuchi pieces that liked the guitar too, like this one (which I rather like despite the hilarious flubbed note near the end) and some of the vocal themes like "Red Ribbon Army" and "Moeru Heart De".

As for what themes I'd like to hear... I think it'd be cool to have some music for the DB era stuff, since everyone always focuses on Z. Give Yamcha or Tenshinhan some cool music, for instance--or a theme for kid Goku when he gets legitimately angry. Those were always some of my favourite moments, because usually when Goku got angry as a child it was still over something minor like someone tricking him or allegedly trying to steal his food. When he got properly angry about something, you knew things were about to go down.
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock:

theawesomepossum777
Beyond Newbie

Post by theawesomepossum777 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:58 pm

I think your touch on Piccolo Daimao (AKA King Piccolo) would be very nice. I would also like a theme for when Tenshinhan is a jerk in the 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai. If you want inspiration for Piccolo, I would look up "japanese piccolo theme" on Youtube.

Lord Exor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Lord Exor » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:23 am

Definitely Dr. Gero. That track has your stamp on it 100%. Something in that style by the original author = rapturous bliss.
"My dear friend, how can I make this even more painful for you? I could crush your hands, rip off both of your ears, or maybe I'll just smash in your tiny little cranium. Ehehehehehehehe."
—Frieza

"Alright big guy, whatever turns you on."
—Frieza

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:14 am

Some really good suggestions! I really like the idea of King Piccolo especially, I have some ideas for that already.

I did do a theme..uh...a little unexpected. Enigma TNG (who I absolutely love) asked me to do a track for his next album in Faulconer style. Enigma kinda looks like a DBZ character to me :) so I decided to write a theme for him in Z+ style.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGMG6GIxxRU
- Scott

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:30 am

AWESOME!!! Love it, very reminiscent of Z music.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

theawesomepossum777
Beyond Newbie

Post by theawesomepossum777 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:03 am

cRookie_Monster wrote:Some really good suggestions! I really like the idea of King Piccolo especially, I have some ideas for that already.

I did do a theme..uh...a little unexpected. Enigma TNG (who I absolutely love) asked me to do a track for his next album in Faulconer style. Enigma kinda looks like a DBZ character to me :) so I decided to write a theme for him in Z+ style.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGMG6GIxxRU
Awesome, you took my suggestion! :wave: Anyway, can I give you some ideas for that theme? I think it should be moody, ominous, evil, etc. He should have a end-of-the-world feeling. Now, I'm not saying he's a green Broly (which he isn't), but it should give you that shit-just-got-real feeling. You know what I mean? But above all, just do what you feel is best. It's so cool that a member of Team Faulconer is on Kanzenshuu! :D

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:18 pm

Yeah man. I realize I've ignored the Perfect Cell suggestions, even from my thread years ago, so I'll probably do that too... some ideas but nothing really clear. I might have not done it because I did so much IMperfect cell stuff (me being the originator of that), and also "Cell Returns" is my remix of Mike's Perfect Cell theme, done for the actual show. Still, I have some thoughts as to my take on Perfect Cell. I need to think more though. Mike's theme sticks so solidly in my mind...it's hard to think of anything else ^^

For King Piccolo, I'm thinking more of a classic orchestral kind of score, starting with bass clarinet maybe? kinda like the Japanese score would do. Honestly, I mainly know King Piccolo from DBZ flashbacks, so I need to go back and watch some DB. Any suggestions on shows to watch or sounds anyone else would like to hear?

Hmm, looking back through my old work, it might start something like the first half of this: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=7460080 and progress into something like this: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=7882079
- Scott

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:53 pm

Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:28 pm

Gonstead wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Bo27RSUJwA

Maybe something similar?
This is going to come off pretty badly...but it's honestly what goes through my head when I hear that. I just don't think I can do it. I hope you aren't offended. :oops:
http://youtu.be/7Bo27RSUJwA?t=11s descending chromatic line, wah wah on the guitar, straight mutes, etc.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC75aU47GRk
Last edited by cRookie_Monster on Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Scott

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:41 pm

Oh gawd, now I can't unhear it XD.

Well, this one's a bit more memorable - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUFFSvSHiJc

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:48 pm

Gonstead wrote:Oh gawd, now I can't unhear it XD.

Well, this one's a bit more memorable - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUFFSvSHiJc
Hehe, do you realize that's the exact same theme just sped up? =D (1st phrase of the King Piccolo theme anyway, Piccolo goes further into the melody)
- Scott

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:18 pm

Oh I know that. It's just that version (at least to me) is more memorable.

EDIT: How bout a new Saiyaman theme?