Spain remastered DBZ thread *updated 19th August*

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Spain remastered DBZ thread *updated 19th August*

Post by sangofe » Sun May 21, 2006 2:16 am

Last edited by sangofe on Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:24 am, edited 7 times in total.

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Sun May 21, 2006 2:20 am

Woah!!! 8 episodes in this disc, that's more than the JP DVD R2 Releases. I'm assuming they'll use the same quality as the DragonBoxes.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun May 21, 2006 2:30 am

Look better, it's 2 dvds in one box.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sun May 21, 2006 2:43 am

Arrgh! DBZ fans in other countries get the better DVDs...

What I mainly like about these Spain DVD releases is that not only is the episode count higher (8 eps. per set), they get multiple dub tracks along with the Japanese track, and even extras like video game intros and textless themes.

I may have to get these since, they're less than the Japanese DVDs, and I'm always game for listening to foreign dubs of DBZ. (I've been wanting to listen to the Catalan and Gallego dubs for a long time)...

That and their projected volume count is less than even the R2 DVDs (36 planned volumes for Spain)

Looking forward to these.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

KameHouse

Post by KameHouse » Sun May 21, 2006 3:58 am

Haha sweet opening and ending karaoke!
Come on inside....the Kame House.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Sun May 21, 2006 6:22 am

Well, here's my own personal translation. My God, I am still in awe over this. Unless this article disappears within the week, I guess EX gets his DVD openings to the Ps2 games. Though Budokai 2, Sagas, and the Ps1 game openings don't seem to be listed. :?

"On June 21st, Vision Selection releases a new style of DVDs. The anime series, DragonBall Z, in re-mastered editions.

Taking place five years after the end of original DragonBall, this point of the series starts off with a terrible threat aimed at the Earth: The Saiyans, a superior alien race that come to our planet with plans to concur...

Two discs will be rocking in this first volume, similar to that of the Cabala of the Zodiac (which included 8 collectible editions). Overall, 36 releases, presented/displayed in sexy double cases (covered with a cardboard cover), and this will comprise the four basic sagas; each one's cover sporting a distinctive color. This'll divide DragonBall Z into the respective Saiyan, Freeza, Cell and Majin Buu arcs.

The image quality of these editions is taken from the original masters without censorship, as well as has been re-mastered to offer the best possible visual quality. Not to mention, the inclusion of the original language, the diverse additions, and Castilian subtitle track. We, the distributors, confirm that we're working on translating this directly from the Japanese version to accomplish the greatest possible quality, with respectable accuracy to the original dialogue.

DVD:
Containing: 2 Discs - Episodes 1-8.
Presentation: Double-Casing with a cardboard cover.
Image Quality: 1.33:1 [4:3]. Uncensored Digital Masters.
Subtitles: Castilian.
Retail Recommendation: $24.95.

Extras:
Artist Sketches.
Technical Details.
Personality Section.
Dated Production Notes.
Image Gallery.
DragonBall Z opening karaoke.
DragonBall Z ending karaoke.
Opening of the DragonBall Z Budokai video game.
Opening of the DragonBall Z Budokai Tenkaichi video game.
Opening of the DragonBall Z Budokai 3 video game.
Other treats."

EDIT: Just to let you all know, if anyone plans on copy-pasting the above translation elsewhere, please credit me as the translator. Don't wanna be stingy, right? :wink:
14 years later

Timo
Regular

Post by Timo » Sun May 21, 2006 9:04 am

Wow! Shit!! Awesome! :shock:

I wonder from which company they got the remastered material. AB only has their old crappy and heavily cut material! Did the DVD publisher really get the new japanese material?! This would mean that other companies could buy the license from AB (those bastards have the rights for ALL of Europe) but get the material from another company/country! Interesting!

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun May 21, 2006 9:49 am

I don't know if it's even possible but, could they have bought the rights to the Dragonbox transfers? Could they do that, buy a certain transfer from Toei?

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Sun May 21, 2006 10:18 am

:shock: Awesome translation, Conan! Kudos! ^_^

I really need to take Spanish sooner...gah.

*hits FUNi on the head* C'mon...two other countries got awesome DBZ collections...it's our turn. :wink:
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.

theoriginalbilis

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sun May 21, 2006 1:08 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:I don't know if it's even possible but, could they have bought the rights to the Dragonbox transfers? Could they do that, buy a certain transfer from Toei?
Most anime companies usually get R2 masters of a show when they buy the rights to release it in America. More recent anime tend to get the digital masters. Now in DBZ's case, we got whatever Toei decided to give us (which may not have been the highest quality master), but this isn't uncommon with Toei to give us poorer masters. Look at ADV's situation with Sailor Moon.

To answer your question though, yes. They more than likely bought the transfers to use for their release, similar to how ADV bought the Evangelion "Renewal" transfer for their Platinum release.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun May 21, 2006 1:37 pm

Timo wrote:Wow! Shit!! Awesome! :shock:

I wonder from which company they got the remastered material. AB only has their old crappy and heavily cut material! Did the DVD publisher really get the new japanese material?! This would mean that other companies could buy the license from AB (those bastards have the rights for ALL of Europe) but get the material from another company/country! Interesting!
What I'm gonna type now can only be classified as rumors, because I've read this at several forums.

AB is supposed to make "collector versions" (remastered, uncut dub and sub) of DB, DBZ, DBGT, Hokuto no Ken and Saint Seiya.

Supposedly they're gonna release Saint Seiya first, and then DBZ.
And from what I gather, Toei gave them new raws (not Dragonbox, but the "film" they're on, dunno what it's called) for Saint Seiya.
I have no idea about the Dragonball series, but I would assume so.
So that Spanish company probably got the raws from AB.
I don't really know though...
Only thing I know, is that these Spanish dvds are official.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Sun May 21, 2006 5:11 pm

Wow, this is really good news! But it is yet to be seen if it'll be up to par with the Japanese releases. Since they are claiming to be the best possible quality, I'm guessing so!

Man, I gotta get my family in Spain to send me these!!! Looks like Spain is going through a Dragonball Revival just like Japan did! First they get the Kanzenban and now this!

Blitzen
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Blitzen » Sun May 21, 2006 5:13 pm

theoriginalbilis wrote:
Tanooki Kuribo wrote: To answer your question though, yes. They more than likely bought the transfers to use for their release, similar to how ADV bought the Evangelion "Renewal" transfer for their Platinum release.
Except ADV magically didn't do it right and we still ended up with inferior video to the R2s :)

theoriginalbilis

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sun May 21, 2006 10:43 pm

Well ADV's authoring of the masters aside, they still got the R2 masters.

I'm getting off topic... wheee! :lol:

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Mon May 22, 2006 2:16 am

Well, now that the Dragon Boxes are all out, and the Z single disks are about half way done, I'm not surprised to see Toei selling the new masters (if that is what they have, although I'd assume it is). It's a shame that FUNi is re-releasing their crappy old masters...North America is screwed once again... :(

Looks like there's some nice extras on there, although they're most likely loading up the first release to lure people in (it's not like they can release video game openings on every set). Regardless, it looks like it's gonna be a great release at a more reasonable price than the Japanese singles.

However, I'd still be at least a little weary over what exeactly you'll be getting and how it will be handled. Nothing pisses me off more than companies getting remastered Japanese releases and completely fucking them up. As Blitzen already pointed out, ADV's "Platinum" release of Evangelion was inferior in quality due to poor authoring (not to mention removing the kanji credits, removing the original "Renewal" credit track, and of course, removing the Japanese 2.0 track in favour of the dub track! :evil: ). VIZ's release of Maison Ikkoku is another great example of getting beautiful masters and then shitting on them. Regardless, this release will still be leaps and bounds better than FUNi's, but all I'm saying is be prepared for some potential upset.
The complete DragonBall archive...Believe.
www.kanzentai.com

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Mon May 22, 2006 4:35 am

Just so no one's confused, this dub isn't the same as the Mexican Spanish-language dub. :P

Seems interesting to see the series being remastered in other countries..though as said before, North America's screwed again. >_>;

Ah well. The Japanese DVDs are good enough for me. Though if I could get a hold of the superb Mexican version in a remastered format.. >__>

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Mon May 22, 2006 1:37 pm

I would get these if they weren't PAL. :(

songoku2k6211

Post by songoku2k6211 » Mon May 22, 2006 1:43 pm

:shock: Spain Gets A Re-Master?!

The UK need something like this...

We don't get any DECENT Dragonball DVD's down here!!

:cry:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon May 22, 2006 2:34 pm

Castor Troy wrote:I would get these if they weren't PAL. :(
Why not just watch it on a monitor?

theoriginalbilis

Post by theoriginalbilis » Tue May 23, 2006 2:44 am

Can you watch PAL format DVDs on your PC?