Name Arrangement

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Name Arrangement

Post by PsyLiam » Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:20 am

Okay, it's only a small question, but it's been bugging me for a few days.

The Japanese naming format puts the surname before the given name, correct? "Son Goku", and so forth.

So, in the original manga and anime, is Bulma's full name actually "Briefs Bulma"? Or is it written in a "western format"? I just wonder since, as a character, she seems to be quite "western". She comes from the City To The West, she has her name written in Romanji all over her, and, er, more.

And, as a follow up, is Trunks ever called "Trunks Briefs" in the original Japanese? If so, wouldn't that also support the whole "Bulma and Vegeta got married" theory?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:26 am

The daizenshuu lists Bulma's father's name as "Dr. Brief" (yes, it says "bu-ri-fu" and not "bu-ri-fu-su"). We can only assume that this is being written in the traditional sense that the FAMILY name is written along with the title.

Therefore, in the "American" style, Bulma's name would be "Bulma Briefs," while the Japanese style would be "Briefs Bulma."

Does that make any sense? Is the evidence supported? I hope so ^^.

While we're on the subject, also according to the daizenshuu, Bulma's mother's official name is "bu-ru-ma no ma-ma" :P
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:33 am

No, that makes perfect sense. Well, apart from her mum's name, but that's just crazy old Akira up to his crazy old tricks again.

But (but but but) is her full name ever actually written in the manga, or said aloud in the anime? I know that the American dub has said "Bulma Briefs" (and "Trunks Briefs" too, which really does sound weird), but was it ever said in the Japanese?

In fact, was her dad even given a surname when he first turned up? I have the Viz version of that manga at my uni home, and I have the strange idea that it's never mentioned.

And, to go off on another tangent, is "Satan" actually suppossed to be the guy's surname? Is Videl's name really "Videl Satan"? Or is it his wrestling nickname?

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:36 am

As far as I can tell, "Bulma Briefs" was invented by the dub, just because her father is "Dr. Briefs". But that doesn't necessarily have to be their family name. He could just be a guy named Brief, with no other name like Yamucha and Kuririn and the others, who happens to be a doctor. "Mrs. Briefs" is also a dub invention; originally, she's only ever referred to as "Buruma's mom".

It's a similar situation with "Videl Satan". That seems to just have been invented by fans, and it's never mentioned in the Japanese versions. No one but the Sons ever have their family name mentioned.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:47 am

So it's not even said if "Mr Satan" is his real name? They actually say "Mr Satan" in the original, don't they?

Surely there are some bright sparks out there that have taken it upon themselves to say that his "real" name is "Hercule Satan"?

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sun Jan 11, 2004 1:12 am

They do say "Mr Satan" in the original, or just "Satan" for short sometimes. The "Hercule" part is invented by the dub, and it's supposed to be his first name in that continuity. It's possible that "Mr Satan" was a stage name or something, but there's no way to really tell.

But I just don't buy into the "Brief" or "Satan" being family names deal. Not only because of the fact that it's never mentioned, but also the way the characters are referred to by other people. Like when Doctor Gero recognizes Buruma, he just says, "That's Buruma, the daughter of Capsule Corporation..." When people talk about Gokuu like that, they always say his full name, "Son Gokuu".

This is just the way I've perceived things, anyway.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sun Jan 11, 2004 1:33 am

Actually, I didn't make myself clear enough there. I meant to ask if they actually said "Mr Satan" in the original, as in, do they say "Mister" in English?

Hercule was originally invented for the French dub, wasn't it? And on the "uncut" DVDs, the English language version actually uses "Mr Satan", doesn't it? I wonder if they ever say "Hercule" in that version. Not that I can imagine many people have gone through the English language versions on the DVDs to check...

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jan 11, 2004 1:46 am

PsyLiam wrote:Actually, I didn't make myself clear enough there. I meant to ask if they actually said "Mr Satan" in the original, as in, do they say "Mister" in English?

Hercule was originally invented for the French dub, wasn't it? And on the "uncut" DVDs, the English language version actually uses "Mr Satan", doesn't it? I wonder if they ever say "Hercule" in that version. Not that I can imagine many people have gone through the English language versions on the DVDs to check...
Yeah, they litereally say "mistah sah-tahn."

I'm not sure if "Hercule" was made up for the French dub or not, but it makes sense. Back when Bandai was doing the "Super Battle Collection" figures in North America (in, like, 1998 when I first got into the show), they listed him as "Mr. Savage."

Do with that as you will. *sleeps*
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Mon Jan 12, 2004 4:17 pm

I was hoping someone would bring that up. I didnt think i was imagining things when i saw that

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:12 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
,they listed him as "Mr. Savage"
Ya I remember that too. I actually was certain that's what they were going to officially call him in the edited English dub, when they got to the Cell Games. I'm certain I remember seeing it on some of the really early first generation Bandai/Irwin toys. You know the ones I mean?

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:16 am

Someone asked earlier if Trunks ever inherited the name 'Briefs' outside the FUNimation Dub. To my knowledge, the answer is no. The only time I really recall anyone ever calling him Trunks Briefs was on the History of Trunks feature, and in the early episodes of GT. In both cases, they were simply a dub creation. I hope that helps a bit.

Daimao
Mr. Subtitles

Post by Daimao » Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:30 pm

For whatever it's worth, I'm with TripleRach on this one. "Son" appears to be the only family name that ever gets passed along in the story. And even at that, it only seems to get passed to the sons (no pun intended). I don't remember ever seeing Chichi, Videl or Pan take the name.

I think having a family name is Dragon World is the exception, rather than the rule.

And nobody ever asked me, but I think "Mister Saturn" would have been a good name for him in the dub.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:56 pm

Daimao said: And even at that, it only seems to get passed to the sons (no pun intended). I don't remember ever seeing Chi-Chi, Videl, or Pan take the name. - In the DBGT t.v. special, where Pan is an old woman raising her grandson, Goku Jr., there is a scene that shows the name "Son" clearly written on the mailbox outside of her house. That is the closest thing I've ever seen relating to any of the females going by the name.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:03 am

Yay, Steve's on the board :D

Daimao
Mr. Subtitles

Post by Daimao » Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:33 am

Jerseymilk wrote:Daimao said: And even at that, it only seems to get passed to the sons (no pun intended). I don't remember ever seeing Chi-Chi, Videl, or Pan take the name. - In the DBGT t.v. special, where Pan is an old woman raising her grandson, Goku Jr., there is a scene that shows the name "Son" clearly written on the mailbox outside of her house. That is the closest thing I've ever seen relating to any of the females going by the name.
Oops. Okay, forget I said that.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Fri Jan 16, 2004 6:43 am

Don't worry about it Daimao. Since Toriyama never created GT, I'm not sure you can exactly count it anyway as evidence. I was just stating it, because as I said, it was the only instance I ever remember seeing. It's true that you never actually hear them referred to as Son Chi-Chi, Son Videl, or Son Pan, although it I think it would have been neat to hear, at least for Pan. She is a direct blood descendant.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sun Jan 18, 2004 11:01 pm

Yay! My thread has been picked as "Important Ask VegettoEX Question Of The Week". I feel honoured.

If I haven't received my payment by Friday, I'm suing your arse.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jan 18, 2004 11:23 pm

PsyLiam wrote:If I haven't received my payment by Friday, I'm suing your arse.
Might as well call the lawyers now, then :P

DrVenkman

Post by DrVenkman » Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:06 am

I believe on the Uncut Dub where Ghoan first goes to High School, he refers to Mr. Satan as "Hercule Satan" a few times. That's just dub canon though, and the idea of "Mr. Satan" just being a wrestling gimmick is an interesting question.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:56 am

I always assumed his name was a wrestling gimmick.