Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Blu-ray_Mistress
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Blu-ray_Mistress » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:19 pm

I heard about this on YouTube when some members on there was talking about the Rock The Dragon Edition Box Set. Has there been announcement yet of when it is expected to come out?

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:33 pm

Rock The Dragon edition has been out for quite a while. I was watching some of it just now.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:13 pm

Blu-ray_Mistress wrote:I heard about this on YouTube when some members on there was talking about the Rock The Dragon Edition Box Set. Has there been announcement yet of when it is expected to come out?
Fizzer wrote:Rock The Dragon edition has been out for quite a while. I was watching some of it just now.
I believe he meant he heard about Ocean's Kai release when looking up the Rock the Dragon set.

Ocean Kai has not been officially announced in any capacity but has been essentially confirmed by the voice actors. There is no expected release yet.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Fennekin
Not Banned

Post by Fennekin » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:36 pm

You have to wonder if whoever was running the "Ocean Dub" of Z Kai might have just decided to stop production and never air a finished product. Sure, the voice actors have done their roles, but would they know if the product had been indefinitely postponed from release?

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:45 pm

Fennekin wrote:You have to wonder if whoever was running the "Ocean Dub" of Z Kai might have just decided to stop production and never air a finished product. Sure, the voice actors have done their roles, but would they know if the product had been indefinitely postponed from release?
In all likelihood, they probably wouldn't know, no. Voice actors are usually not privy to production knowledge, and when they are it's usually only because they are also serving a production-related role (a la Chris Sabat who was both a voice actor and the director of the dub).

I still have every reason to believe this dub will air, though. Licensing deals often include a provision that states the show must be available on home video/TV by a certain date. So, if the producers of the Ocean dub failed to meet a contractual obligation, Toei wouldn't hesitate to take the license away from the producers for breach of contract and give the rights to someone else...most likely FUNimation since they already have a dub made and ready to air. Since their dub hasn't aired on Canadian TV, though, we can only assume that the producers for the Ocean dub still have the rights and still intend to air it by a planned date.

Although, in fairness, I'm beginning to have doubts about my prediction that this thread would be on page 124 when the first episode aired...
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Solidus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Solidus » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:07 am

Fennekin wrote:You have to wonder if whoever was running the "Ocean Dub" of Z Kai might have just decided to stop production and never air a finished product. Sure, the voice actors have done their roles, but would they know if the product had been indefinitely postponed from release?
I'd just like to point out that we know the Vancouver cast is finished but we don't know when the Calgary cast finished/will finish so that's going to bring back the release date. As far as I know the actors recorded their work on InuYasha the final act a great deal of time before VIZ released it, a similar situation could occur here. I doubt we'll see it before 2014 but I don't think it's abandoned. The producers went to the trouble of clamping down on the NDAs and recorded 98 episodes of the show to throw in the towel now. Though there is the licensing issue and the clock is ticking on that.

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:52 am

So, what do we know about this sucker so far?
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:01 am

There's going to be a new Goku (possibly Richard Ian Cox or the dude who voiced L in Death Note.)
Scott McNeil is reprising his roles.
Lee Tockar will be voicing Freeza.
Brian Drummond might be coming back as Vegeta.
There might be replacement music.
And Namek will be pronounced "Narmek" like in the Japanese version.

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:06 am

Wow, I'm really interested in this sucker. Heheh, I hope Drummond returns, for sure!
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:09 pm

TheAldella wrote:Wow, I'm really interested in this sucker. Heheh, I hope Drummond returns, for sure!
Brian Drummond is coming back. However, to tell you how we know this could potentially put a certain voice actor in trouble....

In any event, he is coming back.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:20 pm

ringworm128 wrote:...Namek will be pronounced "Narmek" like in the Japanese version.
It's not pronounced Narmek... It's pronounced NAWmek, as in NAUGHty or gNAW (in American English) as apposed to NAt or NAnny.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:38 am

ringworm128 wrote:There's going to be a new Goku (possibly Richard Ian Cox or the dude who voiced L in Death Note.)
If it ever airs.

andrewtuell1991
Beyond Newbie

Post by andrewtuell1991 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:18 pm

sangofe wrote:If it ever airs.
^This. I'm giving it until June and if it still isn't so much as formally announced I'm giving up all hope.

snaku
Regular

Post by snaku » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:39 pm

ringworm128 wrote:There's going to be a new Goku (possibly Richard Ian Cox or the dude who voiced L in Death Note.)
I need this show.

Logan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Logan » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:22 pm

snaku wrote:
I need this show.
^This. I'd really like to see the entire series done with the Ocean crew, even if some of the actors aren't returning. I will miss Corlett and Kelamis voicing Goku.
There is no Dragon Ball canon.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:48 pm

The Canadian talent pool involved with Ocean has done some great work in past (especially their pre-lay work), but they've also done some downright questionable work on other anime dubs.

Let's hope this dub is more of the former than the latter.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

The Jackal
Not-So-Newbie

Post by The Jackal » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:19 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
TheAldella wrote:Wow, I'm really interested in this sucker. Heheh, I hope Drummond returns, for sure!
Brian Drummond is coming back. However, to tell you how we know this could potentially put a certain voice actor in trouble....

In any event, he is coming back.
Oh I do hope you're right; Drummond was awesome in the original. If they get McNeil and him back (which they are, according to what's posting above) then I'm really looking forward to this.

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:17 am

snaku wrote:
I need this show.
I can only imagine Inuyasha with an orange gi :lol: I guess Miroku was just too cool to be Goku :lol:

I'd certainly love to see Drummond's as Vegeta again, as long as they forget about the westwood years... that was some dark and scary times.
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

darkknightkryta

Post by darkknightkryta » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:06 pm

Looks like I gotta get my VHS machine out to record this :D

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:43 pm

I'm starting to think that this dub might never see the light of day. From what I recall, this dub was supposedly announced back in 2010 and here we are, almost four years later and there isn't even a scheduled air date for this thing.