If Toriyama did a Dragon Ball ongoing sequel...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Re: If Toriyama did a Dragon Ball ongoing sequel...

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:53 am

Fizzer wrote:
UpFromTheSkies wrote:
Fizzer wrote:I really wish I could know how the story would have played out in all of these different scenarios, like if 19 and 20 had remained the villains, or if Cell had remained in his 2nd form for longer.
I never thought much about 19 and 20, but I always imagined had they not come up with fusion, Buu would have been defeated by Vegeta, and then Trunks, Goten and Gohan would have taken over as the main characters.
You mean Buu would have died in Vegeta's explosion?
Yeah.
I think that would have been too quick, Buu had only just appeared
It would have been quick, but I would have liked to have seen Vegeta save the day for once.
I guess it would have been a nice, concise arc (and a better one - the whole thing went downhill after that), but it doesn't really seem to fit the mould.
I liked the fusions and Gohan's battle with Buu, but it did get annoying how Toriyama would make it seem as though Buu was finally going to be defeated by whoever he was fighting, only to have them get absorbed over and over again.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:00 am

A lot of good ideas were introduced after that point, but 90% of it all amounted to nothing and that was annoying. What I'd really miss is Mr Satan's character development.

JamesOwnz
Beyond Newbie

Post by JamesOwnz » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:50 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote:
JamesOwnz wrote:It was his editors who made him do fusion? What did he have instead?
Nothing, just SSJ. Toryama's editors had a pretty big affect on the series, for example Toriyama was going to make #19 and #20 the main villains after Freeza, and his editor made fun of it and said he can't make an old geezer and a fat guy the main villains, so he created #17 and #18, but then his editor complained that they were just two brats, so he made Cell. Cell's final form was originally going to be his second form, but his editor said it was too ugly, so Toriyama made another transformation as his final form.
Yes I remember all the mess with 19 and 20 but never heard his editors had him come up with Fusion or whatever.

JamesOwnz
Beyond Newbie

Post by JamesOwnz » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:58 am

It would have been quick, but I would have liked to have seen Vegeta save the day for once.
I thought it was really quite lame how Vegeta ALWAYS got his ass handed to him... Zarbon, Recoome, Frieeza, 18, Cell, Buu... Buu again... so many little things I'd change in regards to how some of his fights had gone haha.

I like the idea of Vegeta being the one to kill Buu but not sure how that would happen hmm how about something like.

Majin Vegeta Vs Goku takes place the same but both taking each other to their entire limits... I mean the max.. where they have been fighting so hard neither of them can stay in SSJ anymore... then I guess have Vegeta pick up the win (clean btw haha)

Then have Vegeta report back to Babidi and Buu... and have Buu kill Vegeta in a one shot.

Everything then pretty much plays out the same until Goku and Vegeta vs Buu.... Vegeta realizing Goku can't win as a SSJ3 decides to fight and then blow himself up.

end.

TheOverlyMadHatter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOverlyMadHatter » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:32 am

I would welcome the idea, as long as he had a (lenient) editor to keep him in check when it comes to inconsistencies with canon. But, though I could be wrong, I doubt Toriyama's up for writing serious material like Freeza/Cell arc, so we could probably expect something in the vein of NekoMajin Z if a sequel were to come into being.

I'd much prefer a completely new series, with the relation between it and Dragon Ball being as strong as that of the latter and Dr. Slump. I'm satisfied with the way my favorite series ended, and I'd like it to stay that way, additional products aside (movies, OVAs, Video Games). But if a sequel WERE in the works, of course, I'd be all over that, regardless.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:49 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote:Cell's final form was originally going to be his second form, but his editor said it was too ugly, so Toriyama made another transformation as his final form.
No, not really. His editor did indeed demand that Cell have transformations, and tell Toriyama to make Cell attain his perfect form already as soon as the second form was introduced, but y'know, it was established right off the bat that Cell needed to absorb both #17 and #18 to attain his perfect form. In other words, as soon as Cell's second form appeared, it was already known that he would have another transformation after it. I suppose it could be that Toriyama never intended to have him reach said perfect form at all, but if so... Thank you, Toriyama's editor. Because setting up the idea that the villain has an undefeatable perfect form he's trying to reach and then killing off said villain before he reached it would be anti-climactic as hell.
But yeah, pretty sure the only editorial interference with second form Cell was having him then almost immediately reach his perfect form once it was introduced. Toriyama said he wanted to use the second form for longer, but I see no reason to assume that he wasn't going to have him reach his perfect form at all before his editor complained.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:20 am

Vegard Aune wrote:
UpFromTheSkies wrote:Cell's final form was originally going to be his second form, but his editor said it was too ugly, so Toriyama made another transformation as his final form.
No, not really. His editor did indeed demand that Cell have transformations, and tell Toriyama to make Cell attain his perfect form already as soon as the second form was introduced, but y'know, it was established right off the bat that Cell needed to absorb both #17 and #18 to attain his perfect form. In other words, as soon as Cell's second form appeared, it was already known that he would have another transformation after it.
Maybe the interaction between Toriyama and his editor over Cell took place before Cell was introduced into the manga, and Toriyama just had a rough idea of his story, and sketches.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:10 am

I woudln't want an ongoing series for the same reasons I don't like the new material coming out. I absolutely hated the Jump Special and the Episode of Bardock. I haven't seen Battle of Gods, but I'm fairly certain that I would hate it too. Why? Because to me, Dragon Ball has been beaten to death already. The biggest reason why I'm a fan is because of nostalgia. There is no nostalgia in the new material. I don't want something that I loved as a child to be used, reused, and recycled over and over again.

I just want to have my fond memories and pop in a DVD every now and then and remember the good old days. But enough is enough. You can't keep using it. It's like the Power Rangers. When I was a kid, loved the damned Power Rangers. I thought it was a good story (although watching now is hilarious) and blah blah. Then...it just kept going and going and going and going and after a few seasons, I was like, "Enough of this, I'm tired of the same exact premise being used non-stop." Dragon Ball, to me, is suffering from this since they decided to come out with more and more material. So if it was a continued series, I know I'd get sick of it. Not only would I get sick of it, but my fond memories of the original material would probably lessen because it's no longer, "Wow, it's old and hard to find, and not on TV, and blah blah blah." Now it would be like Power Rangers, yeah it's still on, and yeah I don't care.

Pokemon suffers from this. I never liked it, but I could stand to watch the old stuff NOW because as a kid, I saw it and it brings back some sort of nostalgia. But it's still ongoing! I can't even stand the thought of that. If I wanted to buy the whole thing, there's NO WAY that I'd have the space, money, or patience for that.

JamesOwnz
Beyond Newbie

Post by JamesOwnz » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:04 pm

Beaten to death?

There's been very little new material really.

Before this year there was.. what one special in 20 years since the Manga/Anime ended?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:50 pm

^He's right since we didn't much new stuff before 2008. DB from 1997 - 2007 seem pretty dead to me.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:39 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:I woudln't want an ongoing series for the same reasons I don't like the new material coming out. I absolutely hated the Jump Special and the Episode of Bardock. I haven't seen Battle of Gods, but I'm fairly certain that I would hate it too. Why? Because to me, Dragon Ball has been beaten to death already. The biggest reason why I'm a fan is because of nostalgia. There is no nostalgia in the new material. I don't want something that I loved as a child to be used, reused, and recycled over and over again.

I just want to have my fond memories and pop in a DVD every now and then and remember the good old days. But enough is enough. You can't keep using it. It's like the Power Rangers. When I was a kid, loved the damned Power Rangers. I thought it was a good story (although watching now is hilarious) and blah blah. Then...it just kept going and going and going and going and after a few seasons, I was like, "Enough of this, I'm tired of the same exact premise being used non-stop." Dragon Ball, to me, is suffering from this since they decided to come out with more and more material. So if it was a continued series, I know I'd get sick of it. Not only would I get sick of it, but my fond memories of the original material would probably lessen because it's no longer, "Wow, it's old and hard to find, and not on TV, and blah blah blah." Now it would be like Power Rangers, yeah it's still on, and yeah I don't care.

Pokemon suffers from this. I never liked it, but I could stand to watch the old stuff NOW because as a kid, I saw it and it brings back some sort of nostalgia. But it's still ongoing! I can't even stand the thought of that. If I wanted to buy the whole thing, there's NO WAY that I'd have the space, money, or patience for that.
If you like Toriyama's DB humor, you'll like Battle of Gods.