Did Toriyama "ruin" Battle of Gods?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Re: Did Toriyama "ruin" Battle of Gods?

Post by TheGmGoken » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:59 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote:The thing is, when most people hear "Battle of Gods" they don't think of oversized cats break dancing.
Don't judge a book by its cover has always been Db knowledge.

Freeza Final Form
Vegeta short size
Boo
And even Birsu

JamesOwnz
Beyond Newbie

Post by JamesOwnz » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:48 am

Personally I think BoG is easily the best DBZ movie.. by far.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:29 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote:The thing is, when most people hear "Battle of Gods" they don't think of oversized cats break dancing.
Which is precisely what makes it so great, IMO. If there's one thing Dragon Ball has always been good at, it's going against expectations, at least in that regard. Certain plot points are really predictable in a way, now that we've had it for so long, but I'll bet that wasn't the case when nobody knew where it was heading.

And I'd agree on the topic of wanting to see the original SS God and Beers designs. I'm happier with what we actually got than what those sound like, but I'd still love to see them.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Flame Dragon
Regular

Post by Flame Dragon » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:11 pm

God Goku with a cape sounds so lame! Plus it would look silly, like the magic SSJ4 pants, Saiyan transformations aren't magic, they can't generate clothes. :D

Honestly unless the cape was made of ki and shrouded Goku with his aura, it would look retarded.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:50 pm

Li'l Lemmy wrote:Did Toriyama "ruin" Battle of Gods?
Whatchu talkin' bout, Willis?

MDSTSSJ
Regular

Post by MDSTSSJ » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:59 pm

Flame Dragon wrote:God Goku with a cape sounds so lame! Plus it would look silly, like the magic SSJ4 pants, Saiyan transformations aren't magic, they can't generate clothes. :D

Honestly unless the cape was made of ki and shrouded Goku with his aura, it would look retarded.
I prefer way more magic SSJ4 pants than disgusting capes!

In esthetics terms, fabric cape or Ki cape or whatever shitty cape, looks so stupid and silly to me, never like it. I bet that Superman, Batman and other fighters " Superheroes " looks way better without a cape!

Capes are best ( barely ) suited to Kings, Gods, etc. but If they are going to fight at some point, take off that silly shit please!

You imagine Birusu with a cape? Oh what an awful thing!

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:31 pm

Original SSJG Goku = Beat on steroids?

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:45 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote:Original SSJG Goku = Beat on steroids?
So SSG was to promote Db Heroes all along :lol:

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:21 pm

Dear God, if they had went through with the original draft of Battle of Gods then it would've led to the introduction to the DBHeroes series where Beat is some long lost decedent of Goku who inherited the God Powers and he goes into the game to learn about his ancestors (Goku and co.) and join them in there past battles to become a better hero lol.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:49 am

When Battle of Gods information was first coming up and I started reading about Toriyama's contributions, I did originally believe it was going to be for the detriment of the movie. None of the original gags I saw appealed to me, and I really disliked the Super Saiyan God design or hearing how the movie had no sense of drama. I had no expectations of it being good, but I expected that I could enjoy it a little bit if the action was good, and expected that Toriyama's involvement would have ruined that. But as it turns out, the only thing I was able to enjoy out of Battle of Gods was the gags and character interactions. So without that, Battle of Gods probably wouldn't have been worth anything to me.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:06 am

I do think it would have been cool if he'd gotten clothes that resembled the Kaioshin attire.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:16 am

Big Momma wrote:I do think it would have been cool if he'd gotten clothes that resembled the Kaioshin attire.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:16 am

Kental you have a piece of fanart on standby for just about every little what-if idea don't you? :P :lol:

Those look pretty cool by the way.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:44 pm

Got this from Fanpop.

Since Toriyama did Character design. He really fucked up Trunks's character design. So that's kinda something is messed up. Don't think it ruined the movie though
Trunks: he's 8 in the Majin Buu Saga, so he's 18 at 28th World Martial Arts Tournament; that means he should be 13/14 in this movie, but he's still a child. His future counterpart looks more mature than him, although they have the same age.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:03 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote:Kental you have a piece of fanart on standby for just about every little what-if idea don't you? :P :lol:

Those look pretty cool by the way.
If it fits the situation, then by all means ill post it.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

Post by Son_Gohan » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:02 am

Personally I don't feel the movie lived up to its potential, and frankly, Toriyama's spacious involvement played a considerable part in that.

Being credited as the creator of a series that ended more than a decade ago does not necessarily mean he’d know what’s best for DragonBall in the year 2013. Even looking back at the success of the original series, how much did Toriyama's personal preferences really contribute to it? Based on documented interviews, some of his original ideas on what direction the story should take--#19 & #20 being the only enemies that show up in the Artificial Human arc, for example--were rejected by his editors, and as a result the plot received more depth and benefited from the arrival of new characters. Being the self-confessed gag author that he is, it could be inferred that the points in the story where it took on a more serious tone as seen with the Freeza and Cell arcs took him far out of his element; that’s where someone in the role Yū Kondō held at that period would become integral to the narrative developing as it did. This is one reason why turning over the reins in production for Battle of the Gods may have proven as a bad move since the content now lacks that same balance his editors provided.

It becomes evident not too long into the film that the silliness and overall lightened atmosphere is out of place for a story which takes on this universal scale and tries to convey there being a lot at stake. It’s conflictive; it does not work well, and comes across as a parody of itself, in my opinion. The lack of seriousness wasn’t at all as subtle as it once was. The humor is too exclusive to an audience who’d recognize specific character traits, relying too heavily on emotional extremes and out-of-character moments. Perhaps these choices would have been better suited for something akin to the 2008 Special, but by how this movie was advertised, the final product left much to be desired.

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:03 am

I thought the story was alright.. To me, what ruined Battle of Gods was the directing... I don't like the director they picked to direct this movie.. Masahiro Hosoda. I feel like they could have gotten someone so much better than this guy. So many weird close ups in this movie.

GsTvo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GsTvo » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:12 pm

Mmm no, the animation staff "ruin" Battle of Gods.

I liked Battle of Gods, but in some points it could be better. For example:
- The Super Saiyajin God. Come on! Goku with pink hair? a god?
- The beginning of the movie It is very childish, especially because of Wills.

And details like the Kaio's planet, how he rebuild it?, but Toriyama's style its there, and I find different things unlike the other 13 movies.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:15 pm

And details like the Kaio's planet, how he rebuild it?, but Toriyama's style its there, and I find different things unlike the other 13 movies.
He's a god of creation. Just like how Birsu is the God of destruction. Birsu destroyed it once already. Then Kaio rebulid then. Then Cell destroyed it.

GsTvo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GsTvo » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:30 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:
He's a god of creation. Just like how Birsu is the God of destruction. Birsu destroyed it once already. Then Kaio rebulid then. Then Cell destroyed it.
Jaja, it's a joke right?