More FUNi Dragon Boxes: Will it ever happen?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

NessMudkip
Beyond Newbie

More FUNi Dragon Boxes: Will it ever happen?

Post by NessMudkip » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:12 pm

Personally, I'd like to see FUNimation Dragon Boxes for the other DB Series and movies more than anything else DB-related that could come out (Well, maybe aside from English Kanzenban, but that's another story!). But as much as I'd like to see these... Will it ever happen? It's been ages now since FUNimation put out the survey to gauge interest in further Dragon Boxes, and with Blu-Ray on the rise, at what point do we assume it isn't going to happen? Like I said, I really really REALLY want it to happen, but soon I'm going to have to bite the bullet and pick up the Blue Bricks/GT Bricks.
Hey! Check out my YouTube Channel! I talk about Dragon Ball quite a lot. www.youtube.com/nessmudkipz

The Doc
Not-So-Newbie

Re: More FUNi Dragon Boxes: Will it ever happen?

Post by The Doc » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:25 pm

I know in one of their recent surveys, they actually asked something along the lines of "Which of the following would you like to see next come out on Dragon Box?" and the choices were Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball GT, or the Dragon Ball Z Movies. (Someone can feel free to correct me if I'm remembering this wrong.) Seems like Funi at least WANTS to do more Dragon Box's.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:27 pm

I kinda give up hope for new DB boxes at this rate. I would imagine we would get them by now, but I think they must not sell well enough for Funi to release the other boxes.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:29 pm

Ah, but they wouldn't be Blu-Rays in 16:9, and that's what the people really want!
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:41 pm

I seriously doubt we will get more Dragon Boxes. Obviously, like most of us here, I hope it happens, but it won't. There's no money in it for FUNimation it seams...

I know how you feel bro, but facts are facts. The Blue Bricks are the best we gonna get for the foreseeable future. I accepted this fact a few months ago. We are lucky we got the Z Dragon Boxes. What we have available to us now is good enough in their eyes...

Sad but true. :cry:

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:51 pm

I feel like time traveling back to 2007 and making this thread without the word "more" in the title. That's my lame admittance that I still have hope.

Unless Toei decides to put out their own Blu-ray remasters down the line. If that happens, FUNimation can just go to HFI L.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:41 pm

No because who want these Boxes? We all want 16:3 center cropped blue rays :roll:

doomydoomydoom
Beyond Newbie
Location: Meditating in front of a waterfall, listening to Gohan and his dragon's whistling New Wave crap...

Post by doomydoomydoom » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:17 pm

I'm half-optimist and half-pessimist, so with this issue I'd say probably; that's if what we all say about FUNi is true (i.e. that they will milk the franchise as long as there are people around to sell it to). It seems like they're exhausting options pretty quickly, so to me the logical next step would be another Dragon Box, maybe the movies. Then again it's all up to Toei, regardless of whether or not FUNi has interest. I'm sure they were mumbling and grumbling over giving permission to release Z in the first place.
Auric Goldfinger wrote:
James Bond wrote:Do you expect me to talk?

No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!
I tought dat when I beat dis monkee, I was goin to da Urf, but it caused me a trouble. WE ARE DA ONE WHO WILL CAUSE DA TROUBLE. But if I don't eat rice, da powah won't come. So DON'T SAY SUCH A SILLY TING! OHKAY? And let that child alone.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:06 pm

No. Because Gen Fukunaga beats up puppies and hates us.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:09 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:No because who want these Boxes? We all want 16:3 center cropped blue rays :roll:
DBZ in 16:3? I wonder what that looks like. :wink:

Pretty sure FUNimation's original press release from when the Dragon Boxes started coming out in '09, said that they had the thirteen DBZ Movies.

Maybe Gen Fukunaga lost them, like he lost the first 16 episodes of GT. Guys, we have lost movies! :o

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:26 pm

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:No because who want these Boxes? We all want 16:3 center cropped blue rays :roll:

Pretty sure FUNimation's original press release from when the Dragon Boxes started coming out in '09, said that they had the thirteen DBZ Movies.

Maybe Gen Fukunaga lost them, like he lost the first 16 episodes of GT. Guys, we have lost movies! :o

:lol: :lol: :lol: . That was funny. If this is true is Toei preventing them? Or do they not like the fact that it's in 4:3 480p? Honestly I think Funimation want DBZ in reversed. I bet BoG will be in 4:3 240p and DBZ will be 16:3 4k HD -_-.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:43 pm

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:
Like that...

I cannot believe that the opportunity to post that picture presented itself more than once.

Anyway, at this moment I'm not really holding my breath for more DBoxes. And really, rather than giving us more of those... I think I'd be content if FUNi just provided us with a non-awful consistent release of all of DBZ that isn't also a limited edition type deal. Like, the DB and GT season-sets seem decent from what I can tell, and the movies are fine because they had higher quality film to work with when remastering them + there's no issue with them being cropped to 16:9 as they were animated with the intent of being cropped in the first place, but for Z... Now admittedly I have FUNi's DBoxes for Z and the Japanese boxes for the rest of the franchise, but for the sake of those who aren't so lucky... is it so much to ask to get a consistent release that isn't cropped, oversaturated, and has had all the detail smooshed out, FUNi? At this point I might be willing to buy such a release just to send you the message that that's what we want. (I have been considering getting the season-sets for DB and GT for the same reason BTW. Well that, and I'd like to have a subtitled version just in case I should ever want to look up the translation for something.)

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:37 am

They have access to the movie D-Box masters, right?

I think we'll get those at some point. Maybe to tie into the release of Battle of Gods, whenever that happens...

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:19 am

Hopefully we'll get the Movies soon, at least. The only reason I haven't just bought them all seperately is because I'm holding out for a possible DBox release.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:20 am

I doubt the new BRDs are center cropped, weren't they "selectively cropped" in the sense the same way Kai aired on TV?

I don't think we'll ever see new Dboxes stateside, prices of the JP Dboxes are actually pretty good these days.
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:37 am

Daimo-Rukiri wrote:I doubt the new BRDs are center cropped, weren't they "selectively cropped" in the sense the same way Kai aired on TV?
So FUNi claims... But the trailers sure don't seem to be indicating that. And FUNi also claimed that the colors were completely untouched on the season-sets, so I wouldn't be so quick to believe the "selective cropping"-deal.

ssjcj
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssjcj » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:41 am

Does anyone know what they have said about Dragon Boxes at anime conventions?

TTC817

Post by TTC817 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:55 pm

I really hope so, this was the best treatment that Z has gotten on home video in America. I would love to see the original DB, GT, and the Movies get this same treatment in time, but FUNi seems to be more interested in reissuing Z for the umpteenth time than reissuing the other series.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:22 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I kinda give up hope for new DB boxes at this rate. I would imagine we would get them by now, but I think they must not sell well enough for Funi to release the other boxes.
Me too buddy :( I waited forever on Funimation to release the original Dragonball Dragon-boxes and I thought for sure! when I seen that survey and how everyone was voting for either the Dragonball Series Dragon-box or The Movies, I thought we'd get them but no such luck. more people ''Supposedly'' voted for the 16x9 cropped Blu-ray. :lol: Ah well...I finely caved and decided to get all the Blue Season Sets for Christmas so if they come out now I'll be mad. :P
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:45 pm

I would likely just import the Japanese DB boxes at this rate. I don't like watching things raw, but I seen DB/Z/GT so many times that I know what is going on.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/