"DBZ: Battle of Z" (360/PS3/Vita) On-Going Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Re: "DBZ: Battle of Z" (360/PS3/Vita) On-Going Discussion Th

Post by TheGmGoken » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:47 pm

omegalucas wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:
BobZ wrote:I'm not sure if this has been posted yet and I apologise if it has:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_QfWn40 ... e=youtu.be

Basically, some guy found the opening in the demo files and decrypted it... in super low quality. Still, it looks cool and I'm glad it uses 2D animation! :mrgreen:
Honestly. That intro seemed boring. I know there is no music due to copyrights. But still...
The music according to the comments was FLOW's version of CHA-LA HEAD-CHA-LA with (fight) effects.
That's nice since that's a great song. But the intro itself is still boring...........

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:56 pm

Intro felt too much like intros I've seen before in previous db games, and the jump cut to BOG was jarring, but I always appreciate more ssjg Gokû and Beers, so the jump isn't that big a deal.

Also, I'm almost certain that was one of the dbh animators who drew Gohan near the start, the face looked so much like Beat.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:58 pm

It's not very impressive to be honest. It's not like Budokai 3's or Ultimate Blast's amazing intros.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

supersaiyan DbZ fan
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyan DbZ fan » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:01 pm

I know I'm late on this one. Please guys tell me the name of the soundtrack of the first trailer of boz. Please. The trailer which had "to be continued" at the end of it. Thanks. (Emergency)
Someone hit me up when Krillin, Tien, Yamcha, Chiaotzu :lolno:, Goten, Buu, and Gohan :!: :!: :!: become relevant again :?

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:06 pm

Chuquita wrote:
Also, I'm almost certain that was one of the dbh animators who drew Gohan near the start, the face looked so much like Beat.
Honestly thought that the intro was fake. Cause the animation was similar to when Beat kicks Broly in the face. Hell I thought Gohan was Beat as well :lol: .
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:It's not very impressive to be honest. It's not like Budokai 3's or Ultimate Blast's amazing intros.
This reminds me of a mixture of Raging Blast 2 Intro and an original Idea(BoG). Though Budokai 2 to me will always be the best in terms of Intro.

BobZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by BobZ » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:10 pm

By the way, I made a screenshot of the title screen with my Vita in order to use it as a screen saver for it:

http://i.imgur.com/7WEgpEh.jpg

Feel free to grab it. :)

I also tried to do the same with my PS3 in order to have the image in HD, but could not find out exactly how to make a screenshot properly. :/

If anyone else can make it work and is willing to, please go ahead and share. :)

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:15 pm

BobZ wrote:I'm not sure if this has been posted yet and I apologise if it has:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_QfWn40 ... e=youtu.be

Basically, some guy found the opening in the demo files and decrypted it... in super low quality. Still, it looks cool and I'm glad it uses 2D animation! :mrgreen:
I find it amazing how people do stuff like that. Even though I can work on computers, I just think it's funny that someone is so dedicated to see the new intro they hack the game files. LOL :lol: I admire their spirit. :P
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:19 pm

Edit: I'm now seeing the file, just need to get MediaCoder and then I'll up it, me thinks.

EDIT 2: OH MY GAWD THE DECODED OPENING LOOKS FUCKING AWESOME IN HD!! :shock:
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:50 pm

After testing the demo, I must say the concept is kinda cool.

When you get to the main menu and hear Goku saying to gather the energy and then you see all the energy being shared by players throughout the world with that background music of epic hope... It gives you chills, like you're feeling that epic "being a team with thousands of people" "share your energy" feel of the Genki Dama for the first time in "real life" (the game is virtual of course, but the people sharing their energy and playing at the same time as you are real). I think it's a great main menu to symbolize the main objective behind this game.

The solo mission mode is a bit cheap, given the more akward controls and there's no "complex" cutscenes to be found, but it's still interesting due to the special situations and scenarios we've never seen before.

However, I find that the mission mode really shines when you do it in co-op: there is really something unique and thrilling (at least as far as Dragon Ball games are concerned) when you team up with members online to defeat the AI. There is this sense of Dragon Team you've always felt through the numerous battles in the story, for the first time in a DB video game, players helping each other against a mutual non-player foe, synchronizing similar attacks or on the contrary trying to complete your allies' strategies with moves and tactics that are different from theirs. And all of it culminate with all allies trying to share what's left of their energy with the rest of the world.

I think those are definately very interesting and thrilling concepts to be worked on in future games. I don't think it should replace the Budokai and Tenkaichi games - or even whole new game styles trying a totally different approach in the future -, but I do think that it is a valid third kind of Dragon Ball battle game in its own right that deserves to have its own series of games from time to time and show us what it can be like once it's been refined to its max potential.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:13 pm

Here you go guys: http://youtu.be/oczRGpw1lU4

Toy with it as you like it.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

BobZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by BobZ » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:20 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:Here you go guys: http://youtu.be/oczRGpw1lU4

Toy with it as you like it.
Wow! :o Thanks for that! The quality is the bomb!

Anyway, after playing the demo a bit more on my Vita, I gotta say that I agree with what Cold Skin said.

Once you get used to the controls and mechanics, the game kinda starts to grow on you and the idea as a whole is really neat indeed. : )

JeffJarrett
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by JeffJarrett » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:39 pm

The first two parts (battle against Hirudegarn, and battle against Broly and the others) are similar to Dragon Ball Heroes trailers.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:41 pm

Wait, does the game have offline vs mode?

As for the opening, the God Goku vs Beers part was awesome.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

BobZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by BobZ » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:43 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:Wait, does the game have offline vs mode?
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that way.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:31 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpS-NxXLdPM - Dragon Ball Z Battle of Z Demo Thoughts - xTheRisingSunx

Anyone opinions on this. Any thing he said wrong.

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:43 pm

So I finally had a chance to play everything the demo and it pretty much matched every one of my expectations. The graphics look a lot better on my television than they do in screen shots and the style reminds me of a slightly weaker Borderlands. Overall I like it, and it looks better than the Spike games put out this gen. Just having cell shaded backgrounds that look like they're apart of the same world as the characters really boosts the look of everything.

I'm still trying to figure out the depths of the combat, but so far I'm iffy on it. It's about what I expected but I'm still disappointed about how shallow it is. The controls, somehow made sense(I really thought they wouldn't) but it took me like one match to get use to everything. Offense wise it's just about on par with the Spike games; defense it's lacking a lot...or I just can't figure it out. There isn't a lot in the way of counter attacks and dodging, and once you get into a chain with a good player, the game is almost unplayable. What makes that frustrating is that unlike other fighting games getting caught in an unbreakable chain isn't uncommon. Just about anyone can do one. If someone has figured out how to counter and properly dodge please let me know. The simple controls also lead to some chaotic vs matches. The Co-op stuff flows well; but when it's all (or a majority of) real players in a match it's just MADNESS. This is both a fun and annoying thing. I'm looking forward to some of the other verses modes however; I saw some of the ideas and they look fun.

Ultimately, this game is going to rely on the community sticking around. Artdink has a vision and it looks like they are really trying to get people to stick with this game in the long run. If people can stick around I think this game could be great. The problem is, they could have made this game last so much longer if they had offered offline multiplayer. Co-op was easy to jump in and out of with strangers online, but it took me forever to get into the battle stuff and it was laggy as hell. I don't know who is responsible for handling the servers, but if they don't improve them this game will be a wasteland within 3 months.

Still, this game has a lot of potential and it's the first game in years that I've actually wanted to play. Even with it's flaws I can say it's pretty fun. Seeing as how most PS3 games have been coming out at $39.99 recently, I can justify putting money towards this. If it's a full $60 though...we'll see.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:31 pm

Dragonball Z Battle of Z Demo - Scouter Vegeta Online Fight - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCXSzPTVbxk - chaospunishment·

Is this real? What I mean is. Is Scouter Vegeta playable!? Or did someone manage to hack and play as Vegeta :shock: :o

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:07 pm

I'd totally buy this game if we played as a community from time to time.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:38 pm

Insertclevername wrote:I'd totally buy this game if we played as a community from time to time.
Now we'll get to see Kaznenshuu debates such as TENSHINHAN Vs. KURIRIN in video game form!
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:16 am

If this game can finally settle those power debates in the in universe section, then it's existence is justified.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.