Is it bad to watch DBZ in fast forward?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Is it bad to watch DBZ in fast forward?

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:22 am

Okay I realize this doesn't really relate much to DBZ but I did not know where else to post it; I recently started watching my Dragon Box DVD's in 1.5x Speed on my PS3 to make up for the pacing. Will this be harmful to my DVD?
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Re: Is it bad to watch DBZ in fast forward?

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:21 am

With all the flashing and explosions, I think your eyes are more at risk.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:39 am

Kid Buu wrote:Okay I realize this doesn't really relate much to DBZ but I did not know where else to post it; I recently started watching my Dragon Box DVD's in 1.5x Speed on my PS3 to make up for the pacing. Will this be harmful to my DVD?
Don't think so. If it was a VHS, I'd say it'd be harmful. On DVDs, not really...
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

Vice
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Vice » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:31 am

I play everything at a 1.15x speed on VLC. 1.5 speed seems way too fast, I wouldn't push it past 1.2x personally.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:37 am

Doesn't that ruin the mood :/ ? I mean, the music, and all the sounds will sound very strange...

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:12 pm

Music sounds a bit fast at times but the voices sound fine to me; especially since I'm just going off subtitles.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:09 pm

sangofe wrote:Doesn't that ruin the mood :/ ? I mean, the music, and all the sounds will sound very strange...
It's just 1.1 - 1.5x faster. That should't ruin much since I watch fights in DBZ like that. Unless it's a great fight(Then I play it at regular). But everything sounds normal. The music is just a BIT faster.

Alchemist Ed
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alchemist Ed » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:50 am

I was wondering for a while if anyone else on Kanzenshuu did this. Ever since watching Kai, I've really noticed how terribly slow Z's pacing is. It didn't bother me so much as a child, but now that I have more responsibilities in my life, I don't have the patience to watch all the stare-downs and cutaways at normal speed. For the last half of my full DragonBox viewing, I played it at 1.5x speed on my PS3. It's not too jarring on the Japanese version, the one I've been consistently watching, but when I try to see a scene in the dub at 1.5x, it's really hard to watch. I don't think it'll damage your discs at all, though.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:03 am

I also skipped the opening, endings, next episode previews, and fastforwarded the recaps. Then at 1.5x speed; I actually managed to watch the series pretty fast.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:53 am

I just tried this for the first time... I thought the audio would be noticeably different, but it's really not bad. I think I'm going to do this to catch up on One Piece.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:23 am

I watched Dr. Slump like this (both anime). It was getting boring watching 317 episodes in Japanese without any subs to understand what was going on, and I wanted to finish it as quickly as possible. But I still found it funny. :mrgreen:
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:09 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote:I just tried this for the first time... I thought the audio would be noticeably different, but it's really not bad. I think I'm going to do this to catch up on One Piece.
Ha, glad I could help. :D

Vice
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Vice » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:29 pm

1.5x seems a little fast to me. Like I said, I don't go beyond 1.2x speed personally.