Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ajay

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" Coming To Blu-ray (Updated 12/31

Post by Ajay » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:29 pm

I think it'll be very interesting to see exactly how they would handle a high definition remaster. I'm not really aware of any of Toei's Blu-Ray releases for cel animated shows. What are their policies on grain reduction, colour timings etc?

It's often hard to tell whether the grain on the Dragon Boxes is just subtle as a result of the low definition format or whether there's any form of reduction similarly seen on the Level sets.

Would they bother with colour correcting the shifted hues or leave it be? They certainly fixed those issues in Kai but that was a very different scenario.

Anyone have any insight?
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:15 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:I think it'll be very interesting to see exactly how they would handle a high definition remaster. I'm not really aware of any of Toei's Blu-Ray releases for cel animated shows. What are their policies on grain reduction, colour timings etc?
Toei released an HD remastered DVD box of the Hokuto no Ken series. Though it's not Blu-ray, it's billed as being remastered in HD. They did extensive true-to-original-cels style color correction and cleared away the grain. I guess they'll do the same to Dragon Ball.

The Blu-ray box of Saint Seiya movies was done the same way.

Last edited by kei17 on Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:23 pm

kei17 wrote:They did extensive true-to-original-cels style color correction and cleared away the grain. I guess they'll do the same to Dragon Ball.
Do you think it would end up looking similar to kai?
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:29 pm

kei17 wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:I think it'll be very interesting to see exactly how they would handle a high definition remaster. I'm not really aware of any of Toei's Blu-Ray releases for cel animated shows. What are their policies on grain reduction, colour timings etc?
Toei released an HD remastered DVD box of the Hokuto no Ken series. Though it's not Blu-ray, it's billed as being remastered in HD. They did extensive true-to-original-cels style color correction and cleared away the grain. I guess they'll do the same to Dragon Ball.
So I guess they'd be giving DBZ a blurry HD remaster like they've done with Kai, but hey, at least the colours would be fixed (instead of the pinky that's on the Dragonbox Z). :)

Edit: Seeing those Saint Seiya shots gives me some hope they won't then.
Last edited by dbboxkaifan on Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:29 pm

qjz123 wrote:
kei17 wrote:They did extensive true-to-original-cels style color correction and cleared away the grain. I guess they'll do the same to Dragon Ball.
Do you think it would end up looking similar to kai?
With more faithful colors, I guess.

dbboxkaifan wrote:So I guess they'd be giving DBZ a blurry HD remaster like they've done with Kai, but hey, at least the colours would be fixed (instead of the pinky that's on the Dragonbox Z). :)
I guess it's hard to do extensive color correction without destroying grain when it comes to 16mm film footage. Grain gets in the way if you want to select a particular range of colors.
dbboxkaifan wrote:Edit: Seeing those Saint Seiya shots gives me some hope they won't then.
They're transferred from 35mm film. The TV series of DBZ won't look that sharp.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:31 pm

Has anyone posted a screenshot to show how they handleled the split screen shot in the eisode goke vs. Vegeta?

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:47 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:Has anyone posted a screenshot to show how they handleled the split screen shot in the eisode goke vs. Vegeta?
http://i4.minus.com/ibm1uoyrEke0s3.png It's a center crop there wasn't much they could do with this scene.
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:26 pm

Goku's face in particular looks terrible.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:44 pm

kei17 wrote:

I really hope they'll release Dragonball directly to Blu Ray, no stupid "Hd remaster DVD box"...
Last edited by sangofe on Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DBGod
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBGod » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:52 pm

I must say, these Blu Ray releases do look really nice, this is how the Orange Bricks should have looked like. But of course, its no DBOX.

I think my ultimate dream for a release would be Steve Franko's raw transfers slapped onto a Blu Ray ;) The level sets were the closest thing to that. But because of the ignorant casual fans, we now have this Blu Ray release as a result. Grrr..
If you have any English recorded material and would like to put it to good use, please PM me!
"He's strong, oh he's strong alright. This is not good, hmmm...."

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:53 pm

sangofe wrote: I really hope they'll release Dragonball directly to Blu Ray, no stupid "Hd remaster DVD box"...
It would be nice to see a level sets style remastering from Toei using their original film masters. That way we get the sharpness of the level sets along with the dark detail of kai, but looking at the screen shots Kei posted about what Toei has done in the past it doesn't look too likely that we'll get a grainy true to source release.
Kendamu wrote:

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:14 pm

Just realized Madman's bringing these over to AUS and NZ soon. Wow. Just, wow.

They've brought over everything from the past decade or so. The Ultimate Uncut DVDs (minus the 'Vegeta Saga' ones), the 'Orange Brick' season sets, DBZ Kai, the 'Level' sets, and now these. But you know what's missing here?

Yeah, the freakin' Dragon Boxes. Do you know how fucking annoying that is? To have nearly every re-release of the series come out here, apart from the one that I actually want to buy. :| Oh, and where's our re-release of Curse of the Blood Rubies? Where is it? They told me that they'd put it out if there was anything significantly different about that release. This was back in 2010/2011. Guess what? It's uncut and has a new dub, but It's still not out here.

Ugh, I'm done. I love you Amazon. Too bad I started buying from you a little late. :cry:

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:19 pm

DBGod wrote:I must say, these Blu Ray releases do look really nice, this is how the Orange Bricks should have looked like. But of course, its no DBOX.

I think my ultimate dream for a release would be Steve Franko's raw transfers slapped onto a Blu-ray ;) The level sets were the closest thing to that. But because of the ignorant casual fans, we now have this Blu-ray release as a result. Grrr..
Maybe the majority voted for 4x3 AR but FUNimation decided to go with 16x9 AR due to being the modern aspect ratio of TVs on Blu-ray.

FUNimation could've milked more money out of this version by making a 4x3 AR version on DVD, but well, the Orange Bricks are still selling so no reason to.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

DBGod
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBGod » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:25 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
DBGod wrote:I must say, these Blu Ray releases do look really nice, this is how the Orange Bricks should have looked like. But of course, its no DBOX.

I think my ultimate dream for a release would be Steve Franko's raw transfers slapped onto a Blu-ray ;) The level sets were the closest thing to that. But because of the ignorant casual fans, we now have this Blu-ray release as a result. Grrr..
Maybe the majority voted for 4x3 AR but FUNimation decided to go with 16x9 AR due to being the modern aspect ratio of TVs on Blu-ray.

FUNimation could've milked more money out of this version by making a 4x3 AR version on DVD, but well, the Orange Bricks are still selling so no reason to.
That is true. With 16:9 being a standard in this modern era, I think a raw transfer with NO garbage filters to destroy the video would have been amazing, should FUNi decide not make the 4:3 with black bars.
If you have any English recorded material and would like to put it to good use, please PM me!
"He's strong, oh he's strong alright. This is not good, hmmm...."

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:32 pm

It'd at least be the best we'd get out of FUNimation (Steve Franko's raw transfer).
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

darkknightkryta

Post by darkknightkryta » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:06 pm

kei17 wrote:
qjz123 wrote:
I guess it's hard to do extensive color correction without destroying grain when it comes to 16mm film footage. Grain gets in the way if you want to select a particular range of colors.
That's not necessarily true. The best way to colour correct film reels is to actually compare the film with stock film from Kodak. You can calculate the displacement between the two reels and from that you can figure out how to get the colours back. It's how the Level sets were done and why they look as good as when the reel was made.

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:35 pm

kei17 wrote:
Wow, these look incredible! I'm also expecting a similar, blu-ray release from Toei for the entire Dragon Ball series. I thought last year would have been a good time to release DB Blu Rays as they could have capitalized on Battle of Gods hype, but maybe 2014 makes sense considering there are no real major Dragon Ball releases on the horizon (as far as I can tell).

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:38 pm

From Funi's responses to Kanzenshuu's questions, it sounded like the majority vote may well have been 4:3, but they also looked at the sales performance of the orange bricks compared to the Dragon Boxes and Levels, and also the cost-effectiveness of cutting off all the damage on the tops and bottoms of the frames, and those things swayed their decision.

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:53 pm

Fizzer wrote:From Funi's responses to Kanzenshuu's questions, it sounded like the majority vote may well have been 4:3, but they also looked at the sales performance of the orange bricks compared to the Dragon Boxes and Levels, and also the cost-effectiveness of cutting off all the damage on the tops and bottoms of the frames, and those things swayed their decision.
I think this is the release Funimation had in mind even before the survey judging by the way they described their new remastering process. The survey question asking about the aspect ratio was just used to determine whether or not there were enough people who wanted a 16:9 release. Regardless if they were the majority or not.
Kendamu wrote:

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:58 pm

qjz123 wrote: I think this is the release Funimation had in mind even before the survey judging by the way they described their new remastering process. The survey question asking about the aspect ratio was just used to determine whether or not there were enough people who wanted a 16:9 release. Regardless if they were the majority or not.
That also makes sense.

Does anyone have any figures or estimates regarding the costs of the two remastering processes, say per episode or per minute?