Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

qjz123
Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" Coming To Blu-ray (Updated 12/31

Post by qjz123 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:42 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
qjz123 wrote:
final_flash wrote: Look how on the level set and Dbox set you can see all 5 spaces inbetween the beems. On the BD (blu ray) set all you can see is 3 spaces.
I can see all 5 lines on the blu ray must be a youtube issue http://imageshack.com/a/img822/6152/3bqa.png.
No, that's a different frame. The screen is flashing between dark and light rapidly. But even on the other two film sources, you can see all of the detail in the "bright" frames. Here it's all washed out. Not to mention that grain artifacting looks ATROCIOUS.
You're right I deleted the post. Edit. proper shot of season blu ray http://imageshack.com/a/img689/302/5teh.png Level sets http://imageshack.com/a/img843/6261/hs2t.png
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:55 pm

kei17 wrote:From what I've seen, the only instance of extensive grain removal on 16mm film that doesn't bother me at all is the HD remaster of kinescoped early Taiga dramas.
If those are kinescope recordings then wouldn't they have been recordings of videotapes or live TV? If that is the case then the grain removal makes sense because it wasn't part of the image in its original format; also, wouldn't that make an HD kinescope recording transfer essentially an upscale?

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:57 pm

Hm, it's clearly visible that the grain is still there trying to make its way.

They could've smoothed it to make it less obvious couldn't they?
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:00 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:Hm, it's clearly visible that the grain is still there trying to make its way.

They could've smoothed it to make it less obvious couldn't they?
I assume they were trying to avoid a blurry look. They were trying to make the set seem sharp at least on the surface to the casual viewer.
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:42 pm

Wow, seeing those animated GIFs, the shaking is making me dizzy.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:48 pm

I think I'll be buying it and darkening it on my screen.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

Corpsecreate
Beyond Newbie

Post by Corpsecreate » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:26 am

I thought I'd put up a video of "The Death of Raditz" from my filtered version for comparative purposes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tak8uKZQKbA

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:15 am

I've only casually inspected this set for the most part and don't expect to go super deep into it, but so far I'm not hating it. I'm not absolutely loving it, either, but I'm not about to hurl this into a nearby dumpster or anything.

I'll give more detailed thoughts on it tomorrow.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

final_flash
Banned

Post by final_flash » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:37 am

Here is another shot. Look how on the blu ray set you cant see the little lines through the whole circle like you can on the level, and Dbox sets. Also, the outline of the rocks that touch the circle is missing on the blu ray set as well. I know that it flashes, but these pics are right in sync with each other. There is definitely missing detail.
As you think, so shall you become.
Bruce Lee

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:50 am

I think instead, I'll try and find the money for the Dragon Boxes and mux the audio from a download of these to them. Sounds like a nice plan, since this probably is coming in at higher quality.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:50 am

final_flash wrote:Here is another shot. Look how on the blu ray set you cant see the little lines through the whole circle like you can on the level, and Dbox sets. Also, the outline of the rocks that touch the circle is missing on the blu ray set as well. I know that it flashes, but these pics are right in sync with each other. There is definitely missing detail.
We already know detail is missing at this point we're beating a dead horse.
This is what the film scan looked like before Funimation 'remastered' it
Raw film scan
http://imageshack.us/a/img51/9107/2c0h.png
Season 1 blu ray
http://imageshack.us/a/img24/7311/e4z1.png
Raw film scan cropped to 16:9
http://imageshack.us/a/img21/4544/fnhh.png

This release has been heavily Dnr'ed detail loss comes with the territory.
Kendamu wrote:

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:44 am

Those level sets shots man...such perfection. What a damn shame they had to cancel them.
DBoxes...again too pink. And the missing details from the Seasons Sets is enough to turn people off from purchasing them. I need a solid release of the entire series and i'm on a budget, so the Season Sets I have to stick with. If FUNi decides to release the entire series again like the Level Sets once these sets end their run I don't know how i'd feel.
One World. 🌐 🕊

Haseowolf
Patreon Supporter

Post by Haseowolf » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:48 pm

Corpsecreate wrote:I thought I'd put up a video of "The Death of Raditz" from my filtered version for comparative purposes:

Always so wonderful looking. T.T Seriously, what has to be done to get these? Do you have scrips for each part of each episode (recap, part 1, eye catches, part 2, preview)?
[[ Saber_Breaker ]]
Want even MORE Dragon Ball podcast goodness? Check out We Gotta Podcast on Spotify, YouTube, or anywhere else you get your podcasts.

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:16 pm

Our only hope is that the success of these Season Blu-rays will be enough for a Dragon Box rerelease or a return to the Level remastering. It's a long shot, but if that doesn't do it, then we might be stuck with these widescreen bastardizations... I mean, modernizations.
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

Corpsecreate
Beyond Newbie

Post by Corpsecreate » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:09 pm

Haseowolf wrote:
Corpsecreate wrote:I thought I'd put up a video of "The Death of Raditz" from my filtered version for comparative purposes:

Always so wonderful looking. T.T Seriously, what has to be done to get these? Do you have scrips for each part of each episode (recap, part 1, eye catches, part 2, preview)?
I used the same script for all episodes. Color correction was done mostly scene by scene and audio sync was done manually for each part.

Haseowolf
Patreon Supporter

Post by Haseowolf » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:29 am

Corpsecreate wrote:
Haseowolf wrote:

I used the same script for all episodes. Color correction was done mostly scene by scene and audio sync was done manually for each part.
The monotonous work of getting the color cast out and then adjusting the hues to be closer to the proper values was probably the part that got to me over time. Did you have a way of expediting the process? Or better yet, have documented values of it all for others to use in their own color correction? You've obviously put in a lot of work and the results are truly astounding.
[[ Saber_Breaker ]]
Want even MORE Dragon Ball podcast goodness? Check out We Gotta Podcast on Spotify, YouTube, or anywhere else you get your podcasts.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:19 pm

KingofWisdom wrote:Our only hope is that the success of these Season Blu-rays will be enough for a Dragon Box rerelease or a return to the Level remastering. It's a long shot, but if that doesn't do it, then we might be stuck with these widescreen bastardizations... I mean, modernizations.
- Dragon Box re-release? Maybe in the form of Part sets (budget release).
- Level remastering? Too expensive and time consuming.

If FUNi could give us a 4x3 AR DBZ release then everyone would be satisfied with that.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Haseowolf
Patreon Supporter

Post by Haseowolf » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:29 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
KingofWisdom wrote:Our only hope is that the success of these Season Blu-rays will be enough for a Dragon Box rerelease or a return to the Level remastering. It's a long shot, but if that doesn't do it, then we might be stuck with these widescreen bastardizations... I mean, modernizations.
- Dragon Box re-release? Maybe in the form of Part sets (budget release).
- Level remastering? Too expensive and time consuming.

If FUNi could give us a 4x3 AR DBZ release then everyone would be satisfied with that.
I'm not sure what FUNi's contract says what they can and can't do with the Dragon Box stuff, so this may all be moot in light of that.

The Dragon Box releases were nice and spiffy packaging-wise with the box, the booklet, etc. so I can understand why it might be cost-prohibitive to run more of those, but an alternative might be just a repuprposing and running with that. Offer up the discs as seven sets with something like their S.A.V.E. packaging. Do thin packs or whatever with no Dragon Book in a sleeve and just sell that. You have large numbers of episodes per set, quality footage, and something that anyone can grab without paying out the wazoo.

I don't think they make a big deal out of releasing something as a S.A.V.E. edition so since it's a product they already had on the market they could just push it out to stores and call it a day. No muss no fuss.
[[ Saber_Breaker ]]

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:33 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:If FUNi could give us a 4x3 AR DBZ release then everyone would be satisfied with that.
Not counting the Rock the Dragon set, though, FUNimation hasn't released unremastered footage since the Ultimate Uncut Special Editions. I don't know that I'd be satisfied with 4:3 Season Blu-rays, but I guess it'd be something.

supersaiyan3
Not-So-Newbie

Post by supersaiyan3 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:18 pm

In light of the artifacts that are on the blu-rays, do you guys think they could have benefited from less aggressive sharpening? Would you be willing to sacrifice some line detail to get rid of those artifacts?

I applied a couple denoising & deblocking filters (hqdn3d & pp7). They do a good job with making the clouds & landscape look better, but you lose some line detail. I'm just wondering, would you guys prefer less artifacts or less detail? I do think this release does a good job with bringing out the lines & borders, but sometimes they look too sharp & you end up with (moving) artifacts around soft objects like clouds.

I should mention, I don't really know what I'm doing here. I just applied the filters at full strength, so somebody with more experience might be able to use some finesse to get the best of both worlds.

(Left is original, right is the fitered version)
Also, here's this
http://www.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/57745