What do you look foward to the most from the Buu Arc of Kai?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

xXInfinite026Xx
Beyond Newbie

What do you look foward to the most from the Buu Arc of Kai?

Post by xXInfinite026Xx » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:09 am

I know that many of us are eagerly awaiting the final arc of Kai to be available at last, but is there anything in particular that you look forward to the most when it finally gets released? Whether it be new OP/ED animations, new eyecatches, watching specific moments with re-recorded dialogue (Japanese or English), there's quite a few interesting material to look forward to despite us knowing the overall story.

One thing in particular that I'm looking forward to the most is how the fight between Goku and Majin Vegeta would turn out. Everything from the pacing, new music, and FUNi's renewed script is something that I'm very curious to a see how it tuns out. It will be an interesting experience for myself since I had quite a few fond memories with those episodes. I'm hoping that I'd at least be satisfied with it.
My YouTube Channel!
Payne222 wrote:The most overrated character in Dragon Ball is Sasuke. I mean, he can't even go Bankai. How's he gonna be King of the Pirates if he sucks that bad?

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Re: What do you look foward to the most from the Buu Arc of

Post by Codarik » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:57 am

Justin Cook's Super Buu, REALLY looking forward for that. He was great the first time around, but I'm sure he will put on a more phenomenal performance for Kai.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:03 am

Color-corrected footage and new music. I also look forward to seeing how it'll be different than my own edit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4-PtD1APwU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtiM5rFVGGs

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:43 am

-Justin Cook's Buu, hopefully it's not just him growling. A piece of my soul died when I learned a filter was applied to his voice in the original dub. It's pretty awful without it.
-Kara Edwards in general. She's always been pretty strong as Videl. Goten... I really did not enjoy what she put out in Budokai Tenkaichi 2. It's the sole instance where someone was better on the show than they were in the game.
-Whoever the new Dabra is. I just have strong feeling the original guy isn't coming back. You look at the people Kai recast; Nadolny, Vollmer, Brad Jackson, Monika Antonelli, Meredith McCoy; you don't hear these people in dubs anymore. To my knowledge, Dabra's actor hasn't done anything except Dabra in games.
-Babidi, I guess. The original actor was recast in couple of games, right?
-The music. Apparently some people know who it is, but I haven't been able to piece anything together except that it's not a newcomer. Norihito Sumitomo? Akihito Tokunaga? Are they using pre-made music from BoG or GT? Are they composing new music? Is it someone else entirely?!
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:50 am

New opining and ending

New eyecatches

New soundtrack

New dub

Faster paced story

True hd remaster

Finally have all of DBZ from Saiyan saga to Buu saga in 4:3 hd
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Shnuki
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shnuki » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:53 am

B wrote:-Whoever the new Dabra is. I just have strong feeling the original guy isn't coming back. You look at the people Kai recast; Nadolny, Vollmer, Brad Jackson, Monika Antonelli, Meredith McCoy; you don't hear these people in dubs anymore. To my knowledge, Dabra's actor hasn't done anything except Dabra in games.
-Babidi, I guess. The original actor was recast in couple of games, right?
About Dabura - while I do like Rick Robertson's performance, getting someone to do demonic voice probably wouldn't be too hard. So, even if he'll get recast, the new guy would probably be just as good - if not better.

And if we're talking about Babidi - whoever voiced him in Budokai 3, he did a lot better than the original voice actor from the series (and I'm talking about the FUNi dub and the Japanese original - IMO, Joji Yanami was not the best choice for a whiny wizard).

And what do I look forward the most? Just a good English dub, and maybe some extensive cutting to the filler that takes place in Buu's insides - this just needs to go.

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:30 am

I suppose that I'm looking forward to the dub's revised dialogue. Kyle's Gohan, Majin Vegeta with Sabat's upped game and then I guess Vegito.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:48 am

Despite not watching the show in English anymore, I am quite excited to see just how much they'll improve on the initial dub. There were a few really nice surprises in the previous arcs, such as Chris Ayres' Freeza and Schemmel's goofy Goku portrayal, so hopefully there'll be some more improvements and alterations that'll shock me in the same way.

I'm just praying that Boo's childish voice isn't as painfully annoying as it initially was in English. On the plus side, it'll be nice to hear Kid Buu's maniacal laugh with a good cast surrounding it - that was always a strange improvement over the original.

In terms of my proper Japanese viewing, I'm just excited to hear Horikawa deliver that speech again. You just know it's going to be incredible. With his amazing performance during his death scene on Namek, there's no way he won't top his original delivery of the farewell speech.

I was a little skeptical on how convincingly Nozawa was going to be able to do Goten at her age now but luckily Battle of Gods knocked those fears out the window. Now I'm just excited to hear her do the SSJ3 transformation and all the various battle scenes that proceed it.

I hark on about Yamamoto's score a lot because I really do think it makes Kai. It's a shame he's no longer working on it but I am really hyped (and a little scared) to see what this new composer comes up with. Battle of God's score didn't do a whole lot for me so I'm hoping it's taken in a very different direction from that and at least made consistent with what Yamamoto was going with prior to his termination.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:51 am

I'm looking forward to seeing how exactly they deal with the 'Mystic' Gohan fight and Buu's absorptions, given that if they're going to stick closely to the manga - it'll all be over in one episode! I think that the anime for this portion of the story was just about right in terms of pacing, but the source material itself was just chaoatic. Perhaps they will handle it very similar to how they handled Z, and keep in a lot of the filler.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:38 pm

I'm interested in seeing a rather unique precedent in the anime industry: an instance where the dub actually debuts before the original version.

Don't quote me on this, but I don't think that has happened before. It has some interesting implications...and I'm interested to see how that plays out.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:52 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:I'm interested in seeing a rather unique precedent in the anime industry: an instance where the dub actually debuts before the original version.

Don't quote me on this, but I don't think that has happened before. It has some interesting implications...and I'm interested to see how that plays out.
Hm...Space Dandy.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:58 pm

TheAldella wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:I'm interested in seeing a rather unique precedent in the anime industry: an instance where the dub actually debuts before the original version.

Hm...Space Dandy.
I had a feeling in the back of my mind that there was another instance of this that I wasn't aware of.... :oops:

In any event, from doing a quick scan of that show's Wikipedia article, it appears that that show too was dubbed by FUNimation. Interesting coincidence.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:00 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:It appears that that show too was dubbed by FUNimation. Interesting coincidence.
And yet not so surprisingly this then happened.

FUNI up to old tricks again?! :lol:
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:28 pm

Space Dandy episodes #1-2 were screened in Japan last year, actually.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the new composer does. I also wonder if any new insert songs will be created. I'm also curious to see who works on the Opening and Ending animation and how many new eye catches and title cards are created.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:08 pm

More than anything I'd like to know who's taking over on the music front. The reason I haven't bought Kai is that you can't get the entire thing with the Yamamoto score (and I'm not big on supporting creative laziness either, but it had a good sound), and collecting it all with the replacement score is no good because the placement of the music is awful. I cannot watch the Kai version of Gohan going Super Saiyan 2. NO.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:12 pm

To see who's doing the new music (I'm assuming it's Sumitomo based on Kei's hints) and also looking forward to the new English dub. Especially to see how well Schemmel can do Super Saiyan 3's scream even though he did well the first time. Also to see how they word Gohan's 'retard' comment at Buu.
Last edited by El Diabeetus on Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:47 pm

SSJ4 Furanki wrote:To see who's doing the new music (I'm assuming it's Sumitomo based on Kei's hints) and also looking forward to the new English dub. Especially to see how well Schemmel can do Super Saiyan 3's scream even though he did well the first time. Also to see how the word Gohan's 'retard' comment at Buu.
They could just have him call Buu a 'moron' or something if they want to be politically correct.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:56 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
SSJ4 Furanki wrote:To see who's doing the new music (I'm assuming it's Sumitomo based on Kei's hints) and also looking forward to the new English dub. Especially to see how well Schemmel can do Super Saiyan 3's scream even though he did well the first time. Also to see how the word Gohan's 'retard' comment at Buu.
They could just have him call Buu a 'moron' or something if they want to be politically correct.
I assume that's what they'll go with on the Nicktoons broadcast, but on the uncut version they'll probably do something more harsh. Maybe not 'retard' harsh, but something like dumbass, jackass, etc.

CashmanX
Patreon Supporter

Post by CashmanX » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:16 pm

New opening/ending animation and music. But with how cheap Toei is being these days...
olympia wrote: 21:28 why are we still talking about the emails
21:29 who gives a fuck
21:29 shut the fuck up trunks
21:29 * mean trump

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:52 am

From SaiyamanMS in the buu saga kai thered

https://www.facebook.com/madmanent/post ... 9081883478
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.