Biggest DB disappointment

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Duo
I Live Here

Re: Biggest DB disappointment

Post by Duo » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:36 am

The reversioning of the show done by FUNImation. I still meet people to this day who "like DBZ" but only watch it in English and know a fundamentally different product from me. It makes me feel lonely.

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:05 am

Duo wrote:The reversioning of the show done by FUNImation. I still meet people to this day who "like DBZ" but only watch it in English and know a fundamentally different product from me. It makes me feel lonely.
Especially when they refuse to watch Kai. u.u
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

Nanotchi

Post by Nanotchi » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:47 pm

TheAldella wrote:
Duo wrote:The reversioning of the show done by FUNImation. I still meet people to this day who "like DBZ" but only watch it in English and know a fundamentally different product from me. It makes me feel lonely.
Especially when they refuse to watch Kai. u.u
I have one friend who says "its just boring. Its not the same."

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:52 pm

I am physically incapable of understanding why any fan would not prefer Kai when it comes to English dub. That's probably been my most frequent argument with folks over on reddit.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:58 pm

Duo wrote:I am physically incapable of understanding why any fan would not prefer Kai when it comes to English dub. That's probably been my most frequent argument with folks over on reddit.
Different strokes for different folks.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:03 pm

WittyUsername wrote:Different strokes for different folks.
Duh. I was not born yesterday. Just because I can't relate to a certain standpoint doesn't mean I don't understand that folks have different preferences. Been there, done that, a thousand times.

This is just one of those cases where the other viewpoint absolutely baffles me. It's often paired with great rudeness as well, such as calling Monica Real and Colleen Clinkenbeard "terrible voice actors". It's almost always apparent that these "anti-Kai" fans watched only the dub of Z for years and years, then cherry picked youtube clips of the new performances, watched thirty seconds, then declared it "shitty".

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:06 pm

Duo wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:Different strokes for different folks.
Duh. I was not born yesterday. Just because I can't relate to a certain standpoint doesn't mean I don't understand that folks have different preferences. Been there, done that, a thousand times.

This is just one of those cases where the other viewpoint absolutely baffles me. It's often paired with great rudeness as well, such as calling Monica Real and Colleen Clinkenbeard "terrible voice actors". It's almost always apparent that these "anti-Kai" fans watched only the dub of Z for years and years, then cherry picked youtube clips of the new performances, watched thirty seconds, then declared it "shitty".
To be fair, I've seen people make similar rude comments regarding Nadolny's "chain-smoker" Gohan, or Linda Young's "grandma" Freeza.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:13 pm

To be fair, I've seen people make similar rude comments regarding Nadolny's "chain-smoker" Gohan, or Linda Young's "grandma" Freeza.
Damnit, beat me to it. I don't think it's rude to make a judgment about someone's talent/lack thereof, though there are mature ways to go about. Using the word "terrible" when describing talent isn't inherently a bad thing.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:17 pm

Exactly as ABED has said, it goes both ways. One can be as critical as they want about any performance - Kai, the original Z dub, hell even the original Japanese - but there's no need to get disrespectful about it. Even the fact that others are about your own preference really doesn't excuse being so back - be the bigger man! Or woman, as the case may be.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:27 pm

And that's where pointing out the disrespect of others comes into play as basis for my counter-criticism. I think we're all on the same basic page, guys & gals.

For the record, I loved Linda Young...as Genkai.

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:46 pm

Guys, guys, guys. I've got another unpopular opinion of mine. I. LIKE. NADOLNY. AND. CLINKENBEARD. OHMYGOSH.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:26 pm

My biggest disappointments are that..

Goku didn't beat Freeza after that whole fight.

The fanbase. (Most of it.) People bashing other people's preferences over a language, calling each other "not a true fan" or a certain language is a "different show" than they version they enjoy. obviously there's a lot worse insults said, about the voice actors, and even the fans who prefer different dubs. It's all pretty sad.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:32 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:The fanbase. (Most of it.) People bashing other people's preferences over a language, calling each other "not a true fan" or a certain language is a "different show" than they version they enjoy. obviously there's a lot worse insults said, about the voice actors, and even the fans who prefer different dubs. It's all pretty sad.
I dunno, man. I think there's grounding in that argument if a person is adamant that the initial Z dub is the only way to watch the show without showing any awareness of the original or correct translations. To me, that's willful ignorance and in my eyes, I just can't see them as a 'true' fan or whatever you want to call it.

I have no real issue with someone who is fully aware of what the show actually is but instead chooses the Z dub. I might think it's a silly choice but they're just as much a fan as anyone else.

But yeah, willful ignorance. I just can't accept that.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:55 pm

Duo wrote: It's almost always apparent that these "anti-Kai" fans watched only the dub of Z for years and years, then cherry picked youtube clips of the new performances, watched thirty seconds, then declared it "shitty".
While it is true that a certain degree of people hate kai only for the integrity of their sense of nostalgia, the general reason for the hate to Gohan's new voice is often consistant and varifiable. Colleen was not the wrong choice for Gohan but thats only if you're really open-minded about it. I personally could not sit through her ear-grattingly shrill screams and screeching yells without conjuring up some hate to the change. Nadoly at least knew how to yell "correctly" in a pitch that didnt sound like a strangled cat.
Last edited by SingleFringe&Sparks on Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:24 pm

I personally could not sit through her ear-grattingly shrill screams and screeching yells without conjuring up some hate to the change. Nadoly at least knew how to yell "correctly" in a pitch that didnt sound like a strangled cat.
And that's an opinion that I don't understand. To me, Nadolny was far more shrill than Colleen.

The single biggest disappointment DB related was the crappiness of DBZ: season 3. It wasn't bad enough that FUNi hired a green voice cast, but they required them to try to sound like other actors (even miscast ones), and the scripts were even worse than the preceding seasons. Then to top it off, the terrible score. They were already behind the 8 ball with the inexperienced cast, but they added insult to injury by making the scripts just god awful. They had the chance to start fresh with season 3 but no. Imagine if instead of the "rockin'" theme song and Dale Kelly saying, "It's a bird, it's a plane, no, it's Goku!" we had heard an adaptation of Cha La Head Cha La followed by Brice Armstrong saying, "Previously on Dragon Ball Z..."
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:43 pm

ABED wrote:
I personally could not sit through her ear-grattingly shrill screams and screeching yells without conjuring up some hate to the change. Nadoly at least knew how to yell "correctly" in a pitch that didnt sound like a strangled cat.
And that's an opinion that I don't understand. To me, Nadolny was far more shrill than Colleen.

The single biggest disappointment DB related was the crappiness of DBZ: season 3. It wasn't bad enough that FUNi hired a green voice cast, but they required them to try to sound like other actors (even miscast ones), and the scripts were even worse than the preceding seasons. Then to top it off, the terrible score. They were already behind the 8 ball with the inexperienced cast, but they added insult to injury by making the scripts just god awful. They had the chance to start fresh with season 3 but no. Imagine if instead of the "rockin'" theme song and Dale Kelly saying, "It's a bird, it's a plane, no, it's Goku!" we had heard an adaptation of Cha La Head Cha La followed by Brice Armstrong saying, "Previously on Dragon Ball Z..."
I don't see how the script for season 3 was any worse than the script for Saban portion of the dub. At least in season 3 Funimation was allowed to mention death.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:47 pm

There's the line I just mentioned, Freeza's innumerable sexual innuendos which just got worse in season 3, "more like burnt toast", Piccolo the motivational speaker, Krillin's in da house!, and just about everything the narrator said. At least the narrator for seasons 1 and 2 didn't have to say such tripe. Season 1 and 2 were bad, but 3 seemed worse.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:48 pm

ABED wrote:There's the line I just mentioned, Freeza's innumerable sexual innuendos which just got worse in season 3, "more like burnt toast", Piccolo the motivational speaker, Krillin's in da house!, and just about everything the narrator said. At least the narrator for seasons 1 and 2 didn't have to say such tripe. Season 1 and 2 were bad, but 3 seemed worse.
Freeza did actually have some innuendos in seasons 1 and 2 as well. "I want to caress these balls" anyone? Also we had lines such as "three-eyed cowboy", and "uh oh, he fell right in the water hazard".
Last edited by WittyUsername on Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:50 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
ABED wrote:There's the line I just mentioned, Freeza's innumerable sexual innuendos which just got worse in season 3, "more like burnt toast", Piccolo the motivational speaker, Krillin's in da house!, and just about everything the narrator said. At least the narrator for seasons 1 and 2 didn't have to say such tripe. Season 1 and 2 were bad, but 3 seemed worse.
Freeza did actually have some innuendos in seasons 1 and 2 as well. "I want to caress these balls" anyone?
That's the only one I remember, there were WAY more in 3. "Whatever turns you on", "We could've been so good together".

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:52 pm

ABED wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
Freeza did actually have some innuendos in seasons 1 and 2 as well. "I want to caress these balls" anyone?
That's the only one I remember, there were WAY more in 3. "Whatever turns you on", "We could've been so good together".
Fair enough.