Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" Coming To Blu-ray (Updated 12/31

Post by Fizzer » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:32 pm

I think some decision makers at Funi might be tempted to say "fuck giving them a hardcore release after all the hate they've thrown around over this one". It's not like they'd make huge amounts of money from a release aimed at us.

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:09 pm

Fizzer wrote:I think some decision makers at Funi might be tempted to say "fuck giving them a hardcore release after all the hate they've thrown around over this one". It's not like they'd make huge amounts of money from a release aimed at us.
Yes, but I'm sure they'd want to get on our good side.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:15 pm

As long as there's money to be made from DBZ, they will milk it. Not throwing us a bone would mean giving the series a break, since they're not going to immediately do another widescreen release. There's still an audience for the 4:3 AR, even if it isn't a huge one, what with the Dragon Boxes being out of print. Even the people who bought those might be willing to upgrade now that enough time has passed, especially if their old DVDs have gotten scratched up.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:25 pm

KingofWisdom wrote:As long as there's money to be made from DBZ, they will milk it. Not throwing us a bone would mean giving the series a break, since they're not going to immediately do another widescreen release. There's still an audience for the 4:3 AR, even if it isn't a huge one, what with the Dragon Boxes being out of print. Even the people who bought those might be willing to upgrade now that enough time has passed, especially if their old DVDs have gotten scratched up.
I'd expect that from the careless casual customers who don't know how to hold a disc properly and avoiding from making scratches but the collectors/hardcores? They've gotta know it better than them.

I'm always very careful with my discs because I don't want to scratch them no matter what.

P.S.: Blu-ray Discs do get scratched nevertheless.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:31 pm

DVDs get scratched just by watching them.
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:34 pm

KingofWisdom wrote:DVDs get scratched just by watching them.
Not to the point that it causes any immediate degradation though. You can still watch a DVD many times without it getting scratched enough to cause any real problems.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:37 pm

KingofWisdom wrote:DVDs get scratched just by watching them.
I've watched various DVDs plenty of times and they all work perfectly, so that would only be true in case you were to move/shake the device reading the disc thus far it'd scratch the disc to make it unreadable.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:51 pm

Fizzer wrote:I think some decision makers at Funi might be tempted to say "fuck giving them a hardcore release after all the hate they've thrown around over this one". It's not like they'd make huge amounts of money from a release aimed at us.
No sane business would base their release schedule over how much hate is or isn't thrown. As individuals, they probably care about that. As a business, it should have no effect. As I've said before, the Dragon Boxes weren't a gift to the fans. They released them because they knew people would buy them, and because they expected to turn a profit. If they didn't expect them to, they wouldn't have released them. And that's in spite of the fact they probably got more hate off of the orange bricks than they have off of these. And yet they didn't fold their arms and go, "Hmph. They're mean. We're not going to give them to opportunity to give us money for things they want." So, honestly, the more "hate" is thrown at this, I'd say the better chance we have. That just shows them there's an intense market for what they're not selling, and that they might be able to make more money if they cater to those people.

As Michael Corleone once said, "It's not personal. It's strictly business." :D
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:54 pm

The Dragon Boxes were for a niche audience. Yeah they expected to turn a profit, but it wasn't a mass market product.
DVDs get scratched just by watching them.
No they don't. I've had some DVDs for over 15 years and they are perfect.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:56 pm

ABED wrote:The Dragon Boxes were for a niche audience. Yeah they expected to turn a profit, but it wasn't a mass market product.
I'm not sure what your point is. In fact, it sounds like you're just restating what I said. Yeah, they were niche, but they were expected to be profitable. If they hadn't been, they wouldn't exist.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:09 pm

Well.....I kinda just broke over and bought season 1 of the new Blu-ray. :P :lol:
This is pretty much me.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:59 am

Having out these down for a few days and picked them back up, the flaws in the release are still super obvious but I don't care nearly as much either way anymore. If they do go back and do it properly, I'll be really happy, but these things aren't the death of Dragonball to me or anything.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:55 am

Damn, just chucked on Disc 1 of this.. it's almost hurting my eyes. Dragon Ball Z is just not made for Widescreen.. it just feels odd.

The DNR is also fucking distracting.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:07 pm

How much demand is there in Japan for the original Z to be remastered in HD? Because the way I see it, Kai is pretty much Toei's attempt at remastering Z in HD and if I were them I wouldn't waste time going back to original series(especially if the demand isn't there), just concentrate on making future BoG sequels or specials.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:13 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:How much demand is there in Japan for the original Z to be remastered in HD?
I guess the original Z would sell more than Kai. Kai is disliked there more than you think.

Patrick
Beyond Newbie

Post by Patrick » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:03 pm

kei17 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:How much demand is there in Japan for the original Z to be remastered in HD?
I guess the original Z would sell more than Kai. Kai is disliked there more than you think.
Just curious, why is this the case? I've heard the reasons as to why some American fans dislike Kai, but not any from the Japanese side.
Zephyr wrote:Toriyama's not breaking into everyone's homes and editing your copy of the manga with a pen to include Goku's mom and this "blasphemous" information about her.

Black_Anime_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Black_Anime_Fan » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:27 pm

From what I've heard Kai does pretty well in Japan, I didn't think it'd be that unpopular.
Goku wrote:You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!
DBZ ended after the Frieza Saga.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:35 pm

Patrick wrote:
kei17 wrote:I guess the original Z would sell more than Kai. Kai is disliked there more than you think.
Just curious, why is this the case? I've heard the reasons as to why some American fans dislike Kai, but not any from the Japanese side.
1) The beloved Kikuchi score got replaced.
2) Unmei no Hi ~Tamashii vs Tamashii~ is gone.
3) Some of the original voice actors have become too old that their performances are underwhelming compared to those in Z.
4) Needless recasts
5) Wakamoto's unserious performance
6) Yamamoto threw dirt at the series.
7) AKB48

Black_Anime_Fan wrote:From what I've heard Kai does pretty well in Japan, I didn't think it'd be that unpopular.
Yeah, it did so well that each Blu-ray box sold less than 1,000 copies and did not increase merchandising sales.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:36 pm

....what's #7 meant to mean?
Last edited by Kid Buu on Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:39 pm

They're that female group who sung the second ending theme, "Kokoro no Hane" (Wings of the Heart).