Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Post by ect5150 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:23 pm

JEFFMAN219 wrote:Not that I'm interested in buying it but what happened to the season 1 blu ray on amazon? Did so many people gave it bad ratings that amazon removed it from there site lool?
It's my experience a batch has a disc that doesn't play or something like this. I've personally seen this happen to the Star Wars Clone Wars season sets. I always buy these things on sale, but every single season of the Clone Wars has issues. They essentially reviews the items and got a new batch in at some point. I swear it happened with almost every season except the first season with the Clone Wars blurays. Currently, Season 5 is messed up and it leads to odd-ball pricing (it shouldn't be as high as it currently is). At least with the previous seasons the prices adjusted after everything was said and done (then I caught them on sale with a price tracker). I'm betting the same will be true with the Season 1 release as well if you give it time.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:56 am

I guess it'd be a good idea if I go and check all my discs then. But I never knew about disc problems :? It'd probably be too late for me to return it considering I already left the person feedback saying everything was good. haha
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:02 pm

samuraix123 wrote:I guess it'd be a good idea if I go and check all my discs then. But I never knew about disc problems :? It'd probably be too late for me to return it considering I already left the person feedback saying everything was good. haha
Even if the disc has an issue the seller isn't to blame but FUNimation due to rushing the production.

One thing that always made me wonder was the "Disc Made in Mexico" couldn't they afford to do it in North America?
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:00 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:One thing that always made me wonder was the "Disc Made in Mexico" couldn't they afford to do it in North America?
The Mexican's can't make a disc? Either way, it's primarily going to be some manufacturing process that is heavily done by machines. I don't think it'll make too much difference where the machine sits - either in Mexico or the US (or on the other side of the planet for that matter).
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:12 pm

ect5150 wrote:The Mexican's can't make a disc? Either way, it's primarily going to be some manufacturing process that is heavily done by machines. I don't think it'll make too much difference where the machine sits - either in Mexico or the US (or on the other side of the planet for that matter).
It's not whether Mexicans can or can't but that they could do it in their own country, but that FUNimation could also take care of it in North America.

For example, really expensive clothing brands are produced in China yet they're from Italy which is confusing (imo), but I suppose it's cheaper to make the production in China than Italy. Tbh, I've never noticed the difference between cheap and expensive clothes (I did touch the clothes to feel if they were any better) other than the ridiculous price.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:27 pm

Just checked all of the discs and they are fine for me so SHEW! :P Glad that worked out in my favor considering I have awful luck! :lol: Has anyone here had this problem though?
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:14 pm

Cannot wait 'till Season 3 is released. My favourite season. Then the whole trunks/andriod/cell saga is where DBZ went down, thankfully it picked up again in the Buu Saga.

By the release schedule of these new sets it looks like they'll be done in approximately a year. Question is then what? Are Funimation done with DBZ for good?

Also, wouldn't the Kai Buu Saga BD's interfere with this release. Unless they wait for this release to be completed.

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Done for good? That's a good one. We'll either get a half-assed 4:3 release immediately following these sets (since it's either that or a hiatus), or if FUNimation's sworn off 4:3 Z releases, I could imagine a one to two year hiatus before we get Orange Brick 3.0.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Also, wouldn't the Kai Buu Saga BD's interfere with this release. Unless they wait for this release to be completed.
Most probably, but FUNimation considers Kai and Z to be different entities.
Last edited by KingofWisdom on Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:36 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Cannot wait 'till Season 3 is released. My favourite season. Then the whole trunks/andriod/cell saga is where DBZ went down, thankfully it picked up again in the Buu Saga.

By the release schedule of these new sets it looks like they'll be done in approximately a year. Question is then what? Are Funimation done with DBZ for good?

Also, wouldn't the Kai Buu Saga BD's interfere with this release. Unless they wait for this release to be completed.
I agree I can't wait for season 3 as well considering the Freeza saga is my favorite! :D I also can't wait til we make it up past the Cell saga because I wanna see my Paikuhan! :P :)
KingofWisdom wrote:Done for good? That's a good one. They'll find a way to release it again immediately following these sets. Or, if FUNimation's sworn off 4:3 Z releases, I could imagine a one year hiatus or so before we get Orange Brick 3.0.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Also, wouldn't the Kai Buu Saga BD's interfere with this release. Unless they wait for this release to be completed.
Most probably, but FUNimation considers Kai and Z to be different entities.
I definitely agree with this. Funimation will never stop finding ways to sell the series. BUT! If these Blu-rays don't have any other issues other than the cropping and such then I'll probably just stick with these and the Dragon-boxes.
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:40 pm

KingofWisdom wrote: Most probably, but FUNimation considers Kai and Z to be different entities.
I can see where they're coming from, and judging by the internet it certainly is treated as a separate entity by fans (mostly the YT fans). I mean I own both Kai and Z (mostly cuz I actually enjoy the filler and BF music although the Kai music isn't too bad).

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:49 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Cannot wait 'till Season 3 is released. My favourite season. Then the whole trunks/andriod/cell saga is where DBZ went down, thankfully it picked up again in the Buu Saga.

Funimation will never be done putting out DBZ, it's just a matter of how long the breaks are between releases. I'd figure that all future releases will be in Blu-ray so if they do decide to do a Dragon Box release (or Dragon Boxisq) on blu-ray we have a good chance of getting it after this series. I do believe that this Blu-ray series has to be successful for that to happen though, or they will just pump out another cheap BD set again for the masses.
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:51 pm

maybe GT on Blu Ray and if we're lucky, Dragon Ball? I'd love Dragonball in level set quality. That would rock

But if the broadcast audio can be pushed, I think we know what the next selling point would be. Question is...what aspect ratio lol
Last edited by eledoremassis02 on Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Black_Anime_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Black_Anime_Fan » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:52 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:maybe GT on Blu Ray and if we're lucky, Dragon Ball? I'd love Dragonball in level set quality. That would rock
Hell yeah.
Goku wrote:You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!
DBZ ended after the Frieza Saga.

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:53 pm

Basically, DBZ will only stop being rereleased when it no longer makes a profit or when it's no longer worth the effort.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:23 pm

Do you guys think I'll be good waiting before buying season 2 & 3 for $16? because I really don't have money to throw around right now so do you guys think these prices will stay the same until next month?
#1 Paikuhan fan!

sumpter360
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Location: St. Peters, MO - Currently applying for Residency at Hinata Apartments :)

Post by sumpter360 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:51 pm

samuraix123 wrote:Do you guys think I'll be good waiting before buying season 2 & 3 for $16? because I really don't have money to throw around right now so do you guys think these prices will stay the same until next month?
If you order now, you shouldn't be charged until they ship.
I am neither subbie nor dubbie, I am all that is good: I am a FANBOY!

PSN ID (on PS4): sumpter360
YouTube Account: TheDbG33K
Twitter Account: https://twitter.com/dbG33K
Tumblr Blog: http://g33kout.tumblr.com

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:15 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:maybe GT on Blu Ray and if we're lucky, Dragon Ball? I'd love Dragonball in level set quality. That would rock

But if the broadcast audio can be pushed, I think we know what the next selling point would be. Question is...what aspect ratio lol
I think if they use the broadcast audio, it'll almost certainly be in a 4:3 release, as that's something they'd aim at the "hardcore".

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:24 pm

samuraix123 wrote:Do you guys think I'll be good waiting before buying season 2 & 3 for $16? because I really don't have money to throw around right now so do you guys think these prices will stay the same until next month?
Amazon pre-orders always give you the lowest price in the pre-order period. So, if they drop the price another $5 the day before the release, you get the new low price. If the pre-order price goes up $10, you still get the previous low price. I do this with a few releases (mainly, Game of Thrones since I don't subscribe to HBO), and it seems like the past two seasons of that always had an extra low price the day before the actual release.
ect5150

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:39 pm

I just don't have the money to pre-order it right now so it'll have to stay that price :P
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:52 pm

samuraix123 wrote:I just don't have the money to pre-order it right now so it'll have to stay that price :P
Amazon won't charge you until it ships.

So, not that I support these releases, but pre-order away!