Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

qjz123
Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Post by qjz123 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:43 pm

Here are some screenshots from episode 42 and 66
http://minus.com/mhZgDYm5NHdZq Can someone tell me when in the episode the Gohan shot is I couldn't find it.
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:50 pm

qjz123 wrote:Here are some screenshots from episode 42 and 66
http://minus.com/mhZgDYm5NHdZq Can someone tell me when in the episode the Gohan shot it I couldn't find it.
It's from when Goku and Recoome are staring each other down I believe (most of your shots look to be from 67, but that's fine since that episode was also very bright).

Also, those screenshots are surprising. Looks like they realized those episodes were too bright, and they look much better now. I'd say that reversed my opinion on this specific set, and I'd say that since the overly bright episodes are no longer so, it's enough of an improvement to consider this worthy to purchase over S2.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

SupremeSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by SupremeSSJ » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:57 pm

The Vegeta close up he looks like he has cut down the middle of his face or is that me.
Edit: When i closely look at the pic its not a cut but it just looks like he has a darker skin tone on one side.
Last edited by SupremeSSJ on Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:02 pm

qjz123 wrote:Here are some screenshots from episode 42 and 66
http://minus.com/mhZgDYm5NHdZq Can someone tell me when in the episode the Gohan shot is I couldn't find it.
The only thing that irks me is how yellowed some of the screenshots are, why the hell couldn't they fix those too?

I'd have liked to see "Topless Vegeta" like the screen below (slightly edited on Paint.net)

Edited

Original

It can't be that hard to colour correct these yellowed scenes but I assume that'd be too much work for FUNimation's staff to deal with. -.-
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:07 pm

But, at the same time, that shot you've given us clearly suffers from a red tint. Shame on both sides IMO.

have they turned down the DNR since the first set? It kind of looks that way, but I'm not the right person to comment. How does this work out? Is season one really that much more damaged than the rest, or is it just poor quality control?
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:16 pm

bkev wrote:But, at the same time, that shot you've given us clearly suffers from a red tint. Shame on both sides IMO.

have they turned down the DNR since the first set? It kind of looks that way, but I'm not the right person to comment. How does this work out? Is season one really that much more damaged than the rest, or is it just poor quality control?
I think they have slightly turned down the dnr and the artificial sharpening. In the season 1 blu rays clouds really suffered and backgrounds looked awful that effect has been severely lessened in the season 2 blu rays.
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

Krycek7o2
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Krycek7o2 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:18 pm

bkev wrote:But, at the same time, that shot you've given us clearly suffers from a red tint. Shame on both sides IMO.

I was wondering that myself. The colors are still bit off, but the DNR is not as extensive as the first season set.

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:58 pm

The season blu rays look a lot better for this shot.
Orange bricks
Blu ray
Kendamu wrote:

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:59 pm

Do you guys think that funimation will release the original Dragon Ball on blu ray? I'm thinking about getting the rest of the blue bricks but I want to see if funimation will release a blu ray version of it or if they relese the dragon box.

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:00 am

JEFFMAN219 wrote:Do you guys think that funimation will release the original Dragon Ball on blu ray? I'm thinking about getting the rest of the blue bricks but I want to see if funimation will release a blu ray version of it or if they relese the dragon box.
I doubt it they don't have film masters for Dragon ball.
Kendamu wrote:

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:03 am

qjz123 wrote:
JEFFMAN219 wrote:Do you guys think that funimation will release the original Dragon Ball on blu ray? I'm thinking about getting the rest of the blue bricks but I want to see if funimation will release a blu ray version of it or if they relese the dragon box.
We don't know that for sure.

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:14 am

qjz123 wrote:
If these do well I'm sure FUNimation could get film masters, but who's to say they don't already have them?
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

matiasdf

Post by matiasdf » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:22 am

[/quote]
They obviously didn't considering the different colors, framing and lack of vanishing lines.[/quote]

You mean original telecine and all? Does anyone know if framing is typically done at telecine stage?

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:22 am

qjz123 wrote:The season blu rays look a lot better for this shot.
Orange bricks

Blu ray
Even though Funimation dropped the ball again with this cropped release, I think some people don't want to admit that this is a pretty decent release. sure it's got some problems but what release doesn't? Can't say the Dragon-boxes because some people say there's too much pink on the skin(Doesn't bother me) but I do like this release and each comparison seems to outshine the orange bricks every time.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:52 am

samuraix123 wrote:
Orange bricks

Blu ray
Even though Funimation dropped the ball again with this cropped release, I think some people don't want to admit that this is a pretty decent release. sure it's got some problems but what release doesn't? Can't say the Dragon-boxes because some people say there's too much pink on the skin(Doesn't bother me) but I do like this release and each comparison seems to outshine the orange bricks every time.
Honestly for the price you really can't beat it. Would I ever pay the $45 msrp Hell No! but getting 30+ episode for under $17 isn't a bad deal.
Kendamu wrote:

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:55 am

matiasdf wrote: You mean original telecine and all? Does anyone know if framing is typically done at telecine stage?
Well the orange bricks were scanned from the 16mm film in 16:9 automatically center cropping the entire series. These sets are selectively cropped meaning they're working with a 4:3 film scan and selectively cropping it digitally.
Kendamu wrote:

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:04 am

Here's another comparison to the orange bricks
Orange bricks
Blu ray
Kendamu wrote:

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:06 am

qjz123 wrote:
samuraix123 wrote:
Orange bricks

Blu ray
Honestly for the price you really can't beat it. Would I ever pay the $45 msrp Hell No! but getting 30+ episode for under $17 isn't a bad deal.
I agree bud. I sure wouldn't give 40 some bucks for them haha :P
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:18 am

If only these were just in 4:3, I'd actually be okay with the colours and sharpening.

Sure, it'd be a step down from the levels but at least it would be a step up from the OB's. Sort of a nice middle-ground.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Landcross

Post by Landcross » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:35 am

samuraix123 wrote:
Orange bricks

Blu ray
This. You've said it best. These releases don't have to be the bane of our existence. Except for 16:9, they're not bad at all. And I'm dealing with the 16:9.

Mine showed up today.