What's that BGM in the Japanese version? Read the OP!

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Re: Want to identify a music cue from the anime? Go here!

Post by SSj_Rambo » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:55 pm

It's always exciting to see more people tackling the unreleased BGM of the series! And you're doing a great job with the rips.

I spent a lot of time touching up a lot of Mugiwalaarge's rips but it looks like you're just doing it better from scratch, so thank you! I should get around to making a master list of just the unreleased pieces using kenisu's guide. Would make it easier to check off these unreleased pieces as we collect clean rips.

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:00 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:It's always exciting to see more people tackling the unreleased BGM of the series! And you're doing a great job with the rips.

I spent a lot of time touching up a lot of Mugiwalaarge's rips but it looks like you're just doing it better from scratch, so thank you! I should get around to making a master list of just the unreleased pieces using kenisu's guide. Would make it easier to check off these unreleased pieces as we collect clean rips.
I already have that list. :) What i really need help on is judging the M numbers for a lot of the pieces, especially before they started using... M numbers. The "F"s are just a mess. I have them organized by chronological appearance for now, but eventually, I think they should be organized by similarity. So if anyone has some suggestions about the numbers in the first grouping, I will gladly consider it.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:39 pm

Awesome work, Zestanor. I love the end of Angry Blue which sounds like Bach's Little Fugue.

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:51 pm

Awesome work so far Zestanor. I've been watching Dragon Ball on FUNi's site lately (as of this post, I'm up to the 22nd T.B. so far) and a bunch of those pieces in the show were so heavily drowned in sound effects that I was kind of afraid you wouldn't be able to get clean rips of them. Gotta say I'm impressed.

Keep up the good work! :thumbup:
-Joey

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:55 pm

jpdbzrulz4sure wrote:Awesome work so far Zestanor. I've been watching Dragon Ball on FUNi's site lately (as of this post, I'm up to the 22nd T.B. so far) and a bunch of those pieces in the show were so heavily drowned in sound effects that I was kind of afraid you wouldn't be able to get clean rips of them. Gotta say I'm impressed.

Keep up the good work! :thumbup:
Yeah, every instance of "Army Attack" had gunfire drowning out some of it. :crazy: I'm up to episode 68 in my trawl.

Edit:
Damn Damn Damn. :lolno: I'm starting on movie two... but it seems that Funimation didn't actually do a 5.1 mix for it. :lolno: :lolno: :lolno: It's not even stereo! It's the same damn mono track copied five times over! What a bummer! Movie really is a mess on this boxset. I wonder if it's in stereo on the old release? Even with stereo, I can usually cancel the vocals, but here, I got nothing.

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:31 pm

Zestanor wrote:Yeah, every instance of "Army Attack" had gunfire drowning out some of it.
IIRC, one of the old two-disc sets used "Army Attack" for one of its menus. Hmm...
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:17 pm

kenisu3000 wrote:
Zestanor wrote:Yeah, every instance of "Army Attack" had gunfire drowning out some of it.
IIRC, one of the old two-disc sets used "Army Attack" for one of its menus. Hmm...
I'm satisfied with my rip of that track, but if you'd like to send that file my way... There were 11 of the 2-disc sets, and movies 2 and 3 also probably had menus with music. I wonder if there are any other unreleased tracks on those?

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:29 pm

There are some unreleased cues in the movie 3 DVD menus.

Main menu: Goku, The Bottomless Pit
Language: Yamucha's Roga-Fūfū-Ken
Extras: The Wrath Of Tao Paipai
Chapters: Missiles From Tao Paipai

Unfortunately though, they're all just the first 10-to-30-or-so seconds of the pieces looped over and over again, with the exception of the language menu music, which is the whole piece looped over and over again. :crazy:

As for the movie 2 DVD, only the main menu has music, which is just a generic horror movie track not from the movie or show at all. :x
-Joey

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:50 pm

jpdbzrulz4sure wrote:There are some unreleased cues in the movie 3 DVD menus.

Main menu: Goku, The Bottomless Pit
Language: Yamucha's Roga-Fūfū-Ken
Extras: The Wrath Of Tao Paipai
Chapters: Missiles From Tao Paipai

Unfortunately though, they're all just the first 10-to-30-or-so seconds of the pieces looped over and over again, with the exception of the language menu music, which is the whole piece looped over and over again. :crazy:

As for the movie 2 DVD, only the main menu has music, which is just a generic horror movie track not from the movie or show at all. :x
That reminds me, does anyone have a list (or know where I can find one) of DVD menu themes played?
I know the DB Season Sets used tracks from the series (the same ones for all five).
The DBZ sets used a random unreleased song.
The DBGT sets used Menza's dub music.
The DB Movies all used music from DBZ Movie 1 (oops...even Movie 4 which isn't Kikuchi)
I don't have the Z Movies, yet, so I don't know about these. Do they used Kikuchi or dub music?
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:39 pm

The blue season sets used I1 "Away on the Bike!" (released) for the top menu, "Collapse" for episode select, and "Kame Sennin Rock" for the setup menu. I actually did use the menu audio for my rip of the latter two unreleased tracks.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:45 am

Zestanor wrote:The blue season sets used I1 "Away on the Bike!" (released) for the top menu, "Collapse" for episode select, and "Kame Sennin Rock" for the setup menu. I actually did use the menu audio for my rip of the latter two unreleased tracks.
Yeah, I knew about those ones, since I have the Seasons and DB Movies, just don't have the Z movies yet (would've been nice if they used different ones depending on the set or something like that)

But anyway, I'm really glad you uploaded these! The quality is so high on these it's practically unnoticable that they're unreleased. :D Army Attack was totally one of my favorites!
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:52 pm

All right, guys. What I've done so far is from the three movies and 153 episodes of Dragon Ball.
Phase 2: I've got about 50 incomplete DB pieces that are played in Z, so I'll be ripping a lot of discs.

Funi's 5.1 mix for Z is a bit... spastic. Hopefully it gets better, but unlike in Dragon Ball, a lot of the music is covered by sfx. And there are still some tracks that I really want to make noiseless (Son Goku's Redemption Day, Sexy Girl Music, At a Loss, Kuririn's Theme)!

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:24 am

Zestanor wrote:All right, guys. What I've done so far is from the three movies and 153 episodes of Dragon Ball.
Phase 2: I've got about 50 incomplete DB pieces that are played in Z, so I'll be ripping a lot of discs.

Funi's 5.1 mix for Z is a bit... spastic. Hopefully it gets better, but unlike in Dragon Ball, a lot of the music is covered by sfx. And there are still some tracks that I really want to make noiseless (Son Goku's Redemption Day, Sexy Girl Music, At a Loss, Kuririn's Theme)!
What version of the 5.1 mix will you be using? I've analysed both the Level set mix and the Season Blu-Ray mix, and they're different. For instance, the dialogue track in the Level sets only contains dialogue and sfx (there are sfx in the other tracks too) but the same track in the Season Blu-Rays contains dialogue, sfx, and lowered down music.
Maybe you could use one of these "full soundtrack" sites which contain unreleased tracks. PM me if you need them.
Btw, congrats for finishing all DB.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:47 pm

I'm using the 5.1 from the Dragon Boxes, which I assume is the same as that of the orange bricks.

That's odd that they are different... I don't own any Blu-rays. Could you upload a short section of audio from both sets at the same location? Either leave it ac3, or decompress to wav, but don't reencode, and make sure it stays in 5.1. Thanks!

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:18 pm

Zestanor wrote:I'm using the 5.1 from the Dragon Boxes, which I assume is the same as that of the orange bricks.

That's odd that they are different... I don't own any Blu-rays. Could you upload a short section of audio from both sets at the same location? Either leave it ac3, or decompress to wav, but don't reencode, and make sure it stays in 5.1. Thanks!
I'm sorry, but I don't own any of them (I own a different DBZ release). I once downloaded some rips of the Level sets because I was interested in how the 5.1 audio was done (for different purposes than yours), but I don't have the files anymore. Here's an image from episode 1 of DBZ in the Season Blu-Ray. The corresponding line in the dialogue track is "Have you forgotten your pride Kakarot? We're Saiyans, the mightiest warriors in the universe!". See how, in the third track, there is music apart from the voices?

In the Level set, this didn't happen. I remember that, when the Level sets were new and I was looking at that very same section in Level set audio, I thought: "well, it's only a matter of time that some fan who doesn't like Nathan Johnson's score adds Faulconer's soundtrack to these episodes."
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:07 pm

I'm looking at the top two channels: yeah, that's about how it looks on the Dragon Boxes. From what I can tell, Funimation was still getting a handle on the whole 5.1 surround thing with the first "season" DVD, which corresponds to the the early episodes I was looking at. In the later episodes, they seem to have settled on a mixing method, which they kept for the Dragon Ball DVDs.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:54 pm

Zestanor wrote:Funi's 5.1 mix for Z is a bit... spastic. Hopefully it gets better, but unlike in Dragon Ball, a lot of the music is covered by sfx. And there are still some tracks that I really want to make noiseless (Son Goku's Redemption Day, Sexy Girl Music, At a Loss, Kuririn's Theme)!
They started using separate music tapes around 18 or so episodes. Speaking of Son Goku's Redemption Day, you can't get anything better than this. http://yahoo.jp/box/uEFCeY Edit: Link fixed.
Last edited by kei17 on Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:27 am

kei17 wrote:
Zestanor wrote:Funi's 5.1 mix for Z is a bit... spastic. Hopefully it gets better, but unlike in Dragon Ball, a lot of the music is covered by sfx. And there are still some tracks that I really want to make noiseless (Son Goku's Redemption Day, Sexy Girl Music, At a Loss, Kuririn's Theme)!
They started using separate music tapes around 18 or so episodes. Speaking of Son Goku's Redemption Day, you can't get anything better than this. http://yahoo.jp/box/qRFO1N
That's actually The Fallen, but it's good to know that clean version is possible for that song!

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:31 am

Zestanor wrote:
kei17 wrote:
They started using separate music tapes around 18 or so episodes. Speaking of Son Goku's Redemption Day, you can't get anything better than this. http://yahoo.jp/box/uEFCeY
That's actually The Fallen, but it's good to know that clean version is possible for that song!
Oops, I uploaded a wrong file. Here's the real thing: http://yahoo.jp/box/uEFCeY