Your first Dragon Ball video game

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Your first Dragon Ball video game

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:12 am

So, what was your first Dragon Ball video game?

My first game was Dragon Ball Z: Buyū Retsuden for the Sega Mega Drive. Unfortunately it was only in japanese, so it was hard to navigate the menus, but it had great gameplay and a nice character roster to choose from:

Image Image

Shnuki
Beyond Newbie

Re: Your first Dragon Ball video game

Post by Shnuki » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:55 am

Budokai 2 for PS2. It was also the very first game I ever owned (beside the demo disc which was included with the console).

However, I don't remember when was the last time I played it. I did play it a lot when I got it, but pretty much stopped completely once i got Budokai 3.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:11 pm

Final Bout was mine.

I had absolutely no idea who any of the GT characters were since I don't believe GT was even on TV when we got this in the UK.

It was a pretty godawful game looking back on it but as a kid, I was just happy to be able to play a Dragon Ball game in some format.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:12 pm

Same here. The Japanese import of Final Bout.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:22 pm

Super Butouden 2

used an SNES emulator on my computer, good times...I also was playing Super Butouden 3 pretty much simultaneously, but always prefered 2, despite needing to use a code to play as Goku, unlike in 3. I never could place a reason as to why I thought 2 outshined 3 but for me it totaly eclipsed it.
"You might think you know everything there is to know about me, but really, you're not even CLOSE."

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." ~ Sir Winston Chruchill / Dragon Ball Z in a nutshell

How I enjoy the anime:

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:27 pm

Super Butouden 2 Pirate cartridge for pirated Famicom-like consoles back in the 90's. Pirate carts were kind of hard to stay away from until games were required to have a seal of approval in each country sold, that way, it wasn't as much but they still kept rolling.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Patrick
Beyond Newbie

Post by Patrick » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:28 pm

I may have started a little late with the games, but at the very least, I chose one of the best DBZ games to get!
Zephyr wrote:Toriyama's not breaking into everyone's homes and editing your copy of the manga with a pen to include Goku's mom and this "blasphemous" information about her.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:30 pm

Budokai 2 on PS2. I remember wanting B1 for ages but couldn't afford a PS2 and ended up getting B2 first along with my PS2 for xmas 2003. I played that game non-stop for months until I got B1 and started getting hyped for B3.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:35 pm

Budokai 1 or Final Bout. I forget. I just remember both playing them while I was a kid.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:38 pm

It might have been DBZ Legends at my friends house. I just started watching DBZ at the time, so the game blew my mind. Legacy of Goku was the first DBZ game that I own.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

hulkty
Banned

Post by hulkty » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:17 pm

Budokai 1 for the PS2 or Ultimate Battle 22 for PS1.
...can't remember :/

Shinnin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shinnin » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:55 pm

Legacy of Goku. I never made it to Raditz.

BlazingBarrrager
I Live Here

Post by BlazingBarrrager » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:09 pm

I think mine was Budokai 1 for the PS2. Can't really remember to be honest.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:24 pm

Dragon Ball Z: Budokai (2002)
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:40 pm

T'was Final Bout for me back from its original release.

Many nights of mashing buttons in the beam clashes with friends. Wonderful memories of wonderful times with a terrible game with wonderful music.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:09 pm

Final Bout for me too. Dragon Ball just started airing here and I had really no grasp of who some of those characters in the game were, but I knew that it had to do with Son Goku because he was in it, even if he (his GT kid form) looked a little different than when he was really a kid. I didn't play anything else back then and was addicted, the questionable gameplay aside. Immediately fell in love with its score and still revisit it to play some rounds due to nostalgia.

Always tried to figure out the METEOR combinations.
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme

Darknat
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Darknat » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:24 pm

Dragon Ball Shenron no nazo. A friend of mine got it somehow.

It's not the first game I owned, but the first I played. After that it was probably either the butoden 1&2 or the Dragon Ball Z for arcades.

Eddie
Advanced Regular

Post by Eddie » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:39 pm

I first got into the series a bit before the big game resurgence. My first game was Legacy of Goku. It wasn't particularly good, but at the time I had some fun with it. I was still pretty underwhelmed, though. Ah, well. Things got much better that Christmas when I received Budokai and (the underrated gem) Legendary Super Warriors. :)

My first DBZ gaming memory, on the other hand, was the big feature in GamePro. It definitely got me pumped up for those early Atari releases, and there was a nice little sidebar that gave me my first exposure to the oldschool games.

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:30 pm

I believe a copy of Final Bout that didn't work properly on my PS1...
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

Kantico

Post by Kantico » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:39 pm

Dragon Ball Z: Buyū Retsuden for the Sega Mega Drive