Chinese Bootleg Sequel Manga in 1996

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kei17
I Live Here

Chinese Bootleg Sequel Manga in 1996

Post by kei17 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:29 pm

As you know, there have been many fan-made Dragon Ball sequel projects after the rumor of AF became popular around the world. However, there already was a sequel in 1996, immediately after the original manga ended, and it was commercially published in China. It's called 西藏版 (xi zang ban, literal translation: Tibet version) after the name of the publisher 西藏人民出版社 (xi zang ren min chu ban she, literal translation: Tibetan People's Publishing House). It has three arcs, and each of them was divided into five volumes, so there are fifteen volumes in total. Of course, it's a bootleg series. In the first place, all the Dragon Ball manga releases in China had been bootlegs until the early 2000s.

Image Image

Surprisingly, the art is half-decent for a bootleg, and though there are some panels that were obviously ripped-off of the original manga, it's mostly original. They even bothered to write the onomatopoeias in (broken) Japanese to label it as a true sequel produced in Japan. Since I don't speak Chinese, I don't understand the story, but it seems a little more creative than today's mass produced AF fan manga at least.

You can read all the volumes on this site: http://hi.baidu.com/supermajin/item/d18 ... 3248e1dd2a

Also, there is another bootleg sequel published by 新疆青少年出版社 (xin jiang qing shao nian chu ban she, literal translation: Xinjiang Juvenile Publishing House). I don't know much about this series, but it looks worse than xi zang ban. *Edit: I did a little research on this and it turned out to be a sequel to xi zang ban, so it's a bootleg of a bootleg. :lol:

In addition, there is a bootleg Dragon Ball/Dr. Slump crossover published by 中国华裔出版公司 (zhong guo hua yi chu ban gong si, Overseas Chinese Publishing Corporation) in 1990.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Last edited by kei17 on Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Chinese Bootleg Sequel Manga

Post by B » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:44 pm

Is that supposed to be Vegeta? But yeah, based on those three pages, it's not awful-looking.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:55 pm

...Do I even want to know what Yajirobe is doing to Mr. Satan on the cover of the first volume? :shock:

Pretty neat find though. I dunno how much I'll get out of it by flipping through pages I can't read (I'm assuming they're untranslated anyway), but I may give this a look just for the heck of it. It's just amazing to think how many different unofficial creations there are stretching back over the years.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:16 pm

B wrote:Is that supposed to be Vegeta?
He is just a weak earthling.

Gyt Kaliba wrote:...Do I even want to know what Yajirobe is doing to Mr. Satan on the cover of the first volume? :shock:
I want to know that, too. :lol: For your information it's volume 1 of the final arc, and the subtitle says "Piccolo suicides himself".

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Chinese Bootleg Sequel Manga in 1996

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:28 pm

Yeah...just gonna go burn my eyes out now.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:39 pm

Gross... just gross.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:51 pm

KentalSSJ6 wrote:Yeah...just gonna go burn my eyes out now.
DarkPrince_92 wrote:Gross... just gross.
Do you mean the cover? :lol: The actual contents look good anyway.

doomydoomydoom
Beyond Newbie
Location: Meditating in front of a waterfall, listening to Gohan and his dragon's whistling New Wave crap...

Post by doomydoomydoom » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:59 pm

LMFAO! My God, nothing like a Chinese bootleg.

Seems impossible to infer that Yajirobe is doing anything OTHER than what you'd think he's doing to Mr. S...

"Piccolo Suicides Himself?" Eh? I'm assuming they mean a "last ditch" attack on an enemy. Although I'd like to imagine him killing himself like Tommy Wiseau in The Room.

*Piccolo puts finger in mouth* "Gahd...fowgive me. MAKANKOSAPPO!!!"
Auric Goldfinger wrote:
James Bond wrote:Do you expect me to talk?

No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!
I tought dat when I beat dis monkee, I was goin to da Urf, but it caused me a trouble. WE ARE DA ONE WHO WILL CAUSE DA TROUBLE. But if I don't eat rice, da powah won't come. So DON'T SAY SUCH A SILLY TING! OHKAY? And let that child alone.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:26 pm

More info added to the OP.

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:33 pm

kei17 wrote:
KentalSSJ6 wrote:Yeah...just gonna go burn my eyes out now.
DarkPrince_92 wrote:Gross... just gross.
Do you mean the cover? :lol: The actual contents look good anyway.

I like how they did Pikkoro antenna.
And what is happening with Satan :wtf: ?

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:58 pm

Incidentally, a similar thing happened in Indonesia, too. A bootleg publisher continued the serialization of Dragon Ball themselves because it was a huge hit, but the sequel was soon cancelled due to the bad reputation.

shinmaru wrote:I like how they did Pikkoro antenna.
And what is happening with Satan :wtf: ?
They are just flowing in the wind, though. As for Satan, I looked into the volume and it seems to be a panel from a gag scene where Yajirobe is trying to take out something from Satan's ass.

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:24 pm

What are the general storylines of these various works?
"You might think you know everything there is to know about me, but really, you're not even CLOSE."

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." ~ Sir Winston Chruchill / Dragon Ball Z in a nutshell

How I enjoy the anime:

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:27 pm

No way! I saw a few of these in China Town in NYC years back! They were on a table full of other old Chinese mangas and I assumed they were just reprints of the official mangas (with covers I'd never seen before). I didn't bother to skim through them, instead I just brought the other books instead. Crap, if I knew I would've brought them too. I think they were only a few bucks each.

EDIT: At least I'm pretty sure it was the same fan made books. A few of these covers looked awfully familiar.
As for Satan, I looked into the volume and it seems to be a panel from a gag scene where Yajirobe is trying to take out something from Satan's ass.
Oh my god... that has got to be one of the grossest gags I've heard of. What's in his ass anyway that has to pulled out with a stick?

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:41 am

Scarz wrote:No way! I saw a few of these in China Town in NYC years back! They were on a table full of other old Chinese mangas and I assumed they were just reprints of the official mangas (with covers I'd never seen before). I didn't bother to skim through them, instead I just brought the other books instead. Crap, if I knew I would've brought them too. I think they were only a few bucks each.

EDIT: At least I'm pretty sure it was the same fan made books. A few of these covers looked awfully familiar.
You should've bought them! But they could be 海南版 (hai nan ban), which includes only the original manga. Hai nan ban was the most popular DB manga release in China (of course it's a bootleg, too) and this xi zang ban sequel manga obviously took it as a model.

Hai nan ban comics

Anyway, calling this "fan made" is a little inappropriate because the publisher sold the books for pure commercial purposes by hiring an artist themselves.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:13 am

Alright, so I translated the volume and chapter titles for the first bootleg Kei posted up. Seemed like the perfect chance to put my still rather meager Chinese skills to a good (?) use.

Like Kei said earlier, this series consists of 15 volumes (7 chapters a volume), divided up into 3 story arcs. But in addition, there appears to be a fourth story arc continuing things, which has 3 volumes at the moment with the last 2 apparently still not complete. Despite being broken up into these sub-sections, the entire thing appears to be one big storyline, called the "Zero World" or "Jia Tai" story arc.

Going just off the chapter titles, this "Jia Tai" fellow (absolutely no clue what, if anything, this name is based on) is apparently the master of this "Zero World" place, and has his own "Armed Guard" that sounds a bit like the Ginyu Force. A lot of the other villains (Jia Tai's underlings, I'd assume) seem to have names like "Cindy" and "Sally", but I could be wrong. One of them has the same name in Chinese as the tokusatsu hero Gridman for God knows what reason.

I'll have to try actually reading the thing next to try and make sense of all this.

Anyway, here's the titles:
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:21 am

Someone get these scanned and translated!

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:17 am

kei17 wrote:Image
Cannot be unseen. Oh my God, this is more disturbing than any Dragonball slash fanfiction premise I've heard of - and believe me, there's some messed up ideas out there.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

ACCloud
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ACCloud » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:05 am

Bizarre artwork aside, kudos to whoever wrote this thing for using Oob. It seems like he doesn't appear much after the third volume (he seems to become Babidi's slave?), but it's nice that they at least gave him a decent role - his fight with Goku looked kinda neat. It also looks like Goku and Vegeta got a lot of screen time together, which always has the potential to be fun - particularly in the last volume which shows them exploring some sort of strange, new realm. Honestly, if it was English, I'd probably give it a read :)

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:30 pm

The Chinese bootleg sequel looks pretty awesome! I would totally try to get my hands on this release if I had any idea as to how. I think I will show my wife the scans and then we can go through the story together that way. It will make for a great Friday night read. :lol:
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.