Ebay DragonBall reels

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Ebay DragonBall reels

Post by shinmaru » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:16 pm

Hello i was looking at Ebay and i came across this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-3-Collec ... 1106391072
Maybe someone here is interested.

kei17
I Live Here

Re: Ebay DragonBall reels

Post by kei17 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:31 am

It's surprising that they were still using 1 inch Type C VTRs at the time. Thanks for sharing!

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:34 am

we should all chip in and get these :lol:

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:56 am

eledoremassis02 wrote:we should all chip in and get these :lol:
If only these had something to do with Garlic Jr. or Raditz, we'd have VegettoEX on them in a heartbeat.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:47 am

Hmm it says duplication master and edited but on film? But when it comes to film I like buying direct and demand a playing to see how well the film copy they have has kept up. I don't like buying random anything on film from strangers.
Doesn't even sound like the seller has played them to test the quality and condition of the film.

I've been trying to find the Saiyan arc on film for awhile, I only seem to find an abundance of freezer episodes...

I buy a lot of cartoons on film, have some unedited looney tunes which the DVDs still have those edits, especially banned episodes.

Since these have the US box art "probably just a place holder" wonder what audio track these have? English or Japanese?
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:01 am

If it's edited and has the US episode titles, then I imagine it's what you'd find on Toonami back in the day.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:03 am

Daimo-Rukiri wrote:Hmm it says duplication master and edited but on film?
They're 1 inch reel-to-reel videotapes. Not film.

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:55 pm

I just got this message from the seller, hope it helps someone.
I have not been able to test them but they seem to be in great condition and very clean. I'm also assuming they are english and not Japanese. I don't know much about them. They were found in a closing warehouse. Hope that helps.
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:10 am

kei17 wrote:
Daimo-Rukiri wrote:Hmm it says duplication master and edited but on film?
They're 1 inch reel-to-reel videotapes. Not film.
So, what was the purpose of these? I'm guessing these are the VHS masters? I'm really just going by the words "duplication master"...

Also, I find it odd that the earlier episodes are dated '00 but the later episodes are marked as '99.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:29 am

kei17 wrote:It's surprising that they were still using 1 inch Type C VTRs at the time. Thanks for sharing!
Surprising, but not that surprising. Type C was well liked, and used a lot. It was still used quite a bit through the mid 90s. It dropped off towards the late 90s, but plenty of companies still used them (as I recall, they were very reliable, so the machines were still used even when many companies were moving to new equipment, since smaller companies could buy the used equipment at great prices, and they still worked to a relatively high standard.)

In fact, now that I think about it, I think the studio lab at CSUN still had one that they used for things in 2008 when I was there as a TA (or was I a PA...)
Tanooki Kuribo wrote:So, what was the purpose of these? I'm guessing these are the VHS masters? I'm really just going by the words "duplication master"...
Also, I find it odd that the earlier episodes are dated '00 but the later episodes are marked as '99.
It's possible they had different masters for various potential reasons.

These would have been used for making the VHS and DVDs of the era.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:13 am

These look like masters for FUNimation's censored VHS tapes, not worth $600. Maybe if they were original Japanese masters, but not censored FUNImatation ones.

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:36 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote:These look like masters for FUNimation's censored VHS tapes, not worth $600. Maybe if they were original Japanese masters, but not censored FUNImatation ones.
It says "uncut" on the label. Doesn't that mean uncensored?

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:57 am

Godo wrote:
UpFromTheSkies wrote:These look like masters for FUNimation's censored VHS tapes, not worth $600. Maybe if they were original Japanese masters, but not censored FUNImatation ones.
It says "uncut" on the label. Doesn't that mean uncensored?
Only one of them says uncut, the others say edited.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:54 pm

Something like this only has value based on what any given person would pay for it, so any given person saying what the value is doesn't really mean much outside of 1- The person selling it (and since it's something unique, they'll want more regardless,) and 2- Any person interested in it.

I wouldn't pay $600 regardless of what version it is.

No doubt there is someone who has money who got the VHS tapes when they were younger that if they knew these existed would be willing to pay more than $600 just to have them (just like you have people who have laserdisks of a few things, but no player to play it with.)
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:49 pm

MarcFBR wrote:
kei17 wrote:It's surprising that they were still using 1 inch Type C VTRs at the time. Thanks for sharing!
Surprising, but not that surprising. Type C was well liked, and used a lot. It was still used quite a bit through the mid 90s. It dropped off towards the late 90s, but plenty of companies still used them (as I recall, they were very reliable, so the machines were still used even when many companies were moving to new equipment, since smaller companies could buy the used equipment at great prices, and they still worked to a relatively high standard.)

In fact, now that I think about it, I think the studio lab at CSUN still had one that they used for things in 2008 when I was there as a TA (or was I a PA...)
Thank you for the info. I thought that it had died out until the mid '90s.