Goku Vs. Paikuhan

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

deadguy366

Goku Vs. Paikuhan

Post by deadguy366 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:55 am

How was Goku able to defeat him so easily if he couldn't even stand up to Cell. Paikuhan basically one shotted Cell a couple episodes earlier, so there should be no way Goku is stronger. He didn't even go ssj2.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Re: Goku Vs. Paikuhan

Post by Gonstead » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:31 am

1. Cell wouldn't have been at full power, much less 'Super Perfect'.
2. He was caught off guard
3. BS Toei filler character hyping, almost as bad as the humans on Kaio's planet defeating the Ginyu Force.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Nazi Cola
Advanced Regular

Post by Nazi Cola » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:13 am

Cell was definitely "Super Perfect" and I'm sure there's even a guidebook except attesting to this. Now, that's not to say he couldn't have been suppressed or in a relaxed state, but he essentially became "Super Perfect" by default because you don't just lose a zenkai power-up.
CatouttaHell wrote:I guess he's just impossibly powerful and he now gets thrills from letting things go as much to hell as possible before busting out his ultimate power and ending the villain or some shit.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:58 am

That "Super Perfect" form was more of a transformation like SSJ2 created via the zenkai than his actual base power. That's at least how I see it.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:28 am

There's also the fact that, IIRC, Pikkon never used Burning Shoot against Goku.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:43 am

deadguy366 wrote:How was Goku able to defeat him so easily
Er, what? From what I recall, Paikuhan had the advantage in the fight. Plus, Paikuhan defeated Cell with a special technique that seems to work like the Kaio-ken, and he never used that on Goku.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Mystic Buu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mystic Buu » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:41 am

I always believed that he was suppressed but Paikuhan also used some flame technique like Kaioken and that helped.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:43 am

It wasn't an easy victory, Paikuhan was giving Goku a lot of trouble and had the advantage until the end, but was outsmarted. And there is a lot of argument about the kaioken-like technique Paikuhan uses to defeat Cell or if Cell uses a significant portion of his power, dropping his own defenses to attack Goku.

Darknat
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Darknat » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:23 pm

I suppose it doesn't count, but doesn't the tenkaichi 3 encyclopedia says that Goku was SS2 in that fight? I know the anime staff didn't even know back then what a ss2 was, and the hair was not correct, and also there was no lighning (for the most part), but maybe this has been retconed.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:58 pm

That episode in hell isn't one I take that seriously to be honest. I mean Cell and all the other villains get locked in jail for crying out loud.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:02 am

I go with the suppressed theory, but Paikuhan is still stronger than Goku either way at the time...it's the Goku/Daimao/Mutaito thing all over again
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Super Vegetto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Super Vegetto » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:42 am

I don't know if this is right translation, but it says: Cell’s strength wasn’t any different in Hell.

So if that is what it says, it's all because of this:

Pikkon (special attack) > SPC > Pikkon

mAcChaos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mAcChaos » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:05 pm

He didn't beat Cell. He only surprise attacked him and launched him into that lake, which doesn't let people escape, remember?

So after that it was over. If Cell was able to get out again then who knows what would happen.

Remember just because you hit someone with a surprise attack in DBZ doesn't mean you are stronger. Look at SSJ Kid Trunks kicking Fat Buu or Piccolo kicking Freeza.
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

Super Vegetto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Super Vegetto » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:14 pm

He got 2 hit on Cell. Cell was outcold with 1st...btw ginyu force got out of lake back in frieza saga...
Last edited by Super Vegetto on Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mAcChaos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mAcChaos » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:25 pm

Super Vegetto wrote:He got 2 hit on Cell. Cell was outcold with 1st...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w56glJVbrw4

Huh, you're right. If you look at Cell's eyes, they're blanked out.

Also I like how Freeza gets jealous of Cell's power.
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

Super Vegetto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Super Vegetto » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:30 pm

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:19 am

A single image, particularly a meme image, is not an appropriate response to a conversation.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:15 am

In-Universe Rationale:
  • Kaio-ken puts a huge strain on the body.
    Super Saiyan puts a huge strain on the body.
    The living body as seen in the Boo arc can endure less than the dead body (see Goku going SS3).
    The living body therefore could not take Kaio-ken on top of Super Saiyan given the strain.

The Super Exciting Guide says
    • SS1 is base form x 50
      SS2 is SS1 x 2, so that would be base form x 100.
    Goku has used Kaio-ken up to x20.

Goku went super saiyan and then upped the power by using Kaio-ken when he fought Pikuhan, so if Goku's Kaio-ken was greater than x2 as a Super saiyan then he would be equal to if not greater than SS2 bc SS1x2 = SS2...and Goku was able to do this because Goku was dead and the dead body can take more strain than the living body allowing Goku to be more powerful than an SS2 without going SS2 :crazy:
"You might think you know everything there is to know about me, but really, you're not even CLOSE."

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." ~ Sir Winston Chruchill / Dragon Ball Z in a nutshell

How I enjoy the anime:

deadguy366

Post by deadguy366 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:28 am

90sDBZ wrote:That episode in hell isn't one I take that seriously to be honest. I mean Cell and all the other villains get locked in jail for crying out loud.

That's a good point actually. Based on that episode Goku should've been able to defeat Cell, however Kakarot88's and others responses have helped rationalize things for me. Thanks.

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:27 am

Gonstead wrote:1. Cell wouldn't have been at full power, much less 'Super Perfect'.
2. He was caught off guard
3. BS Toei filler character hyping, almost as bad as the humans on Kaio's planet defeating the Ginyu Force.
I see it as :
Cell > Paikuhan > Goku

But the only reason Paikuhan gained the advantage was because the attack he used was like kaioken of some sort. It multiplied his ki.
So with moves like Kaioken, then I see the chain as :
Paikuhan > Goku > Cell.

Goku only won the match because he outsmarted Paikuhan and would have lost if not otherwise. Hell, he even resorted into using SSJ kaioken during the fight.