Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:46 pm

kei17 wrote:
dbboxkaifan wrote:
kei17 wrote:As MagicBox stated, it's the original aspect ratio that people are sticking with. It's not that they're obsessed with 4:3. Again, why do you keep commenting on the technical side of things you don't have any clue about? To me, it seems like you often disturb fruitful discussions by posting some nonsensical indication about technical things.
Well that's disrespectful of you to say "you have no clue about" when that isn't true, I'm aware that DBZ's series OGAR is FS but considering that we're now on the WS era things have changed, although old shows/films should maintain their OGAR for its authentic experience.

The films (DB/DBZ) were intended to be seen on WS view but personally I prefer to watch them on 4x3 AR because that way nothing's cropped out from top to bottom.
OGAR, FS, WS... :roll: Why do you use such confusing abbreviations? Anyway, your statement here doesn't make any sense to me. What does that have to do with BoG? Yeah, the old movies were shot in 4:3, but things are completely different when it comes to BoG which doesn't have any extra image at the top and bottom sides from the beginning.
Pretty much this.

To sum up, even though BOG is 16:9, it was originally shot in 16:9 so there is literally no image being cut off the screen when you watch this. You are getting the whole intended picture from the get go. Its not like the Season or Orange Brick sets where the 16:9 crops off a chunk of the image.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:55 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:OGAR
"Original... something... Aspect Ratio"

What does the "G" stand for?

On another note, one week left until the TV airing! :D
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:10 pm

MagicBox wrote:On another note, one week left until the TV airing! :D
Woo-hoo! I am beyond excited to see what additional material we get out of this, and still really hoping by some stroke of luck that FUNi gets that footage when they finally get to put this one out.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:25 pm

kei17 wrote: OGAR, FS, WS... :roll: Why do you use such confusing abbreviations? Anyway, your statement here doesn't make any sense to me. What does that have to do with BoG? Yeah, the old movies were shot in 4:3, but things are completely different when it comes to BoG which doesn't have any extra image at the top and bottom sides from the beginning.
This is what I was going to say. The previous movies were animated in 4:3, but with the thought in mind that they were going to be cropped to 16:9 for theatrical release. BOG, on the other hand, was animated in 16:9 for release in 16:9. There is nothing cut from the top and bottom of the frame. Cropping BOG to 4:3 would be pointless as it would reveal nothing extra.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:32 pm

As it's now been confirmed that I definitely won't be home for the entire broadcast, I'm desperately hoping someone will compile clips of the new material to post somewhere. T_T
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:43 pm

Chuquita wrote:As it's now been confirmed that I definitely won't be home for the entire broadcast, I'm desperately hoping someone will compile clips of the new material to post somewhere. T_T
I wouldn't worry, it's practically inevitable that it'll happen. I can still remember how it was literally like...five minutes after Kai's first Android arc episode ended in Japan, that some pretty decent quality copies of it's new ending animation started showing up on Youtube.

Granted this stuff might see quite a few more take-down notices than that did, considering.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:45 pm

UltimateHammerBro wrote:Birrus.
Not only does it fit as a romanization (except for the double-rolling r, which doesn't exist in Japanese or in English), but it also contains the "virus" pun, and it's also similar to birra, a colloquial term for "beer" (and Italian for "beer" too).

I was writing this reply and I had written that there was no way to properly adapt the name, but then I had a moment of enlightment and went back to edit my whole post :lol:
I'd say screw the outrage, if you can come up with a localization that respects the intention of the name like Beerus does in English, I'd say go with it. Whenever a German dub comes out, they'll unfortunately probably use Bills too. But, would Bierus work in German the same way Beerus works for the English version?

If Bills can get away with adding an extra l, your romanization can get away with an extra r. Same with Beerus, the Bi in literal got transliterated into Bee, so your adaptation is equally valid.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:40 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Chuquita wrote:As it's now been conmed that I definitely won't be home for the entire broadcast, I'm desperately hoping someone will compile clips of the new material to post somewhere. T_T
I wouldn't worry, it's practically inevitable that it'll happen. I can still remember how it was literally like...five minutes after Kai's first Android arc episode ended in Japan, that some pretty decent quality copies of it's new ending animation started showing up on Youtube.

Granted this stuff might see quite a few more take-down notices than that did, considering.
I sure hope they'll pop up, I do appreciate the optimism. Thank you. :3

EDIT: I did some research and found out OP Movie 8's "Director's Cut"'s 15 minutes were all at the beginning of the movie as one big chunk, and most of it is battles (the added scenes are an abridged version of Whiskey Peak, for anyone familiar with OP, it's the arc directly before Alabasta, the arc movie 8 adapted). I have no idea how that would work with BOG, but I'd rather have the new scenes spread throughout the movie rather than tacked on at the beginning.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:24 am

A trailer aired on Fuji TV and it had some additional shots in which Goku is eating a nikuman (steamed meat bun) on Kaio's planet.

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:31 am

kei17 wrote:A trailer aired on Fuji TV and it had some additional shots in which Goku is eating a nikuman (steamed meat bun) on Kaio's planet.
Very cool! Can't wait to get a chance to view this. More new DB in any shape or form I will take.
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:37 am

SSJ4 Furanki wrote:
Not only does it fit as a romanization (except for the double-rolling r, which doesn't exist in Japanese or in English), but it also contains the "virus" pun, and it's also similar to birra, a colloquial term for "beer" (and Italian for "beer" too).

I was writing this reply and I had written that there was no way to properly adapt the name, but then I had a moment of enlightment and went back to edit my whole post :lol:
I'd say screw the outrage, if you can come up with a localization that respects the intention of the name like Beerus does in English, I'd say go with it. Whenever a German dub comes out, they'll unfortunately probably use Bills too. But, would Bierus work in German the same way Beerus works for the English version?

If Bills can get away with adding an extra l, your romanization can get away with an extra r. Same with Beerus, the Bi in literal got transliterated into Bee, so your adaptation is equally valid.
That depends on what you want to say in German. "Bier" is "Beer" in German but "Virus" is like "Veerus", so if you pronounce it "Beerus" if you pronounce it like in English (which is the case with Freezer, Cell, Boo and Baby in German as well) you come close to what "Virus" is pronounced in German, except the "G" and "B". Most fans won't know where it comes from but it works.
Last edited by Cetra on Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:48 am

RocktheDragon wrote:
kei17 wrote:A trailer aired on Fuji TV and it had some additional shots in which Goku is eating a nikuman (steamed meat bun) on Kaio's planet.
Very cool! Can't wait to get a chance to view this. More new DB in any shape or form I will take.
More sweatsuit Gokû is always welcome for me. X3
*Hopes the commercial pops up online somewhere.*
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:03 am

Cetra wrote:
SSJ4 Furanki wrote:

That depends on what you want to say in German. "Bier" is "Beer" in German but "Virus" is like "Veerus", so if you pronounce it "Beerus" if you pronounce it like in Englisch (which is the case with Freezer, Cell, Boo and Baby in German as well) you come close to what "Virus" is pronounced in German, except the "G" and "B". Most fans won't know where it comes from but it works.
I see! Makes sense, I just thought Bierus would work since Bier + Virus would work the same was as Beer + Virus for Beerus. Although if you kept the pronunciation like the German roots. Beer-roos, almost identical to the Japanese pronunciation if I'm not mistaken.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:19 am

Is it weird that things like this are exactly what I wanted?

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:26 am

SSJ4 Furanki wrote: I see! Makes sense, I just thought Bierus would work since Bier + Virus would work the same was as Beer + Virus for Beerus. Although if you kept the pronunciation like the German roots. Beer-roos, almost identical to the Japanese pronunciation if I'm not mistaken.
You know, normally you would pronounce "Beer" like "Bear" in German. However as the German version pretty much has kept the originally intended pronounciation of every Dragon Ball term (Son-Goku, Kuririn, Genkidama, Cell, Boo, some exceptions still exist) he would be pronounced "Beerus" like English people do - at least if the continue with the same kind of logic.
Last edited by Cetra on Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:30 am

Here's a screencap.

I'm not really fond of this kind of stereotypical moments like Goku likes eating and Roshi perverts that happen too often in anime, though. I hope there will be something more creative.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:36 am

While I am glad to see a new scene promoted I hope they are animating more than just generic moments like this. There is a lot more room to play around with the party scene.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:20 pm

Would it be safe to assume that they're bringing back the same higher(-ish) budget and good(-ish) talent from the rest of the movie? Or can we expect the new scenes to look more like TV-quality animation? How does Toei usually handle these new TV broadcast scenes? Do they usually blend in with the theatrical animation pretty seamlessly?

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:46 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:All right thanks Mike.

For example, there's the TMNT of 2014 and 1980, the 2014 modernized edition just look so childish, awful and awkward whereas the 80's turtles knew what they were supposed to be and do, plus the animation was better (than all just child-like).
I dunno what to tell you if you don't think the 1980s TMNT cartoon wasn't childlike, hahaha. And besides the first episode and some other scenes done by Toei, the animation is your standard 80s fare,IMO. Although, from what I've seen, the 2014 turtles do seem a little younger. But I'd say it's about equal, if not a little less kiddy than the 80s series. (Then again I've only seen the first season)
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:40 pm

God I hope they give the others more time to shine.