Dragon Ball GT: What did you like about it?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cetra
I Live Here

Dragon Ball GT: What did you like about it?

Post by Cetra » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:14 pm

I know many people don't like GT or at least not that much but I would like to know what you did like about it.

General points that come to my mind are:

[*]Other than many I like the idea of the now way smarter but still naive Goku to be a child; it reminds of Dragon Ball, at least stops him a bit from being overkill and I think it is just more fitting for the Galaxy Tour
[*]I did like Pan, she was annoying but she is Videl's daughter and Videl was also call it whatever you want when trying to reveal Gohan's identity, the rest that is left is just childish behaviour and I understand childish behaviour for a child
[*]I liked that Trunks was a part of the crew because of Future Trunks' popularity while he was not shown to be as cool as him but still funny, maybe a better mix would have been good as Trunks was a total brat but also funny as a kid
[*]I like Vegeta's hair - the spikey version, not the paint brush version; not having his flame hair shows a bit more that even they age; they always were drawn a bit differently with their lines in Z when they got older and also when the art style changed a bit but I like the new hair as well
[*]I liked how Baby was a "better Cell than Cell himself" - if you ask me the GT saga being some kind of prologue for Baby was cool - some super villain being created in the other corner of the universe seemed cool and I liked his whole concept and his Vegeta host-look. Also I like the Revenge Death Ball
[*]I like that each character was given a bit more detail in his life - GT was not very long of course but that is why I like the Z fillers; they add detail and depth and life in general to the world
[*]I liked the Super Saiyajin 4 style - it is my most favourite form except Broly's Densetsu no Supa Saiyajin
[*]I liked how some special things were looked at like the 4-Star Dragon showing some companion-like feelings for Goku because it was his grandpa Gohan's Dragon Ball and he loved it
[*]I like Gogeta and I like what the Big Bang Kame Hame-Ha looks like but only really in the games
[*]I thought the ending was way better than Z's original ending
[*]I like Dan Dan Kokoro Hikareteku (RIP Izumi Sakai, thank you for such a wonderful song), especially Izumi's version and Izumi's Don't you see!
Last edited by Cetra on Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball GT: What did you like about it?

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:18 pm

The villain designs, especially Super 17, SSJ4 designs, and the Shadow Dragon Arc's basic concept of the overuse of Dragon Balls. Everything else can die.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:20 pm

I like the idea behind Baby, SSJ4, the Japanese soundtrack, the Shadow Dragon Arc's idea of overusage of Dragon Balls, and it has a better ending than Z does.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:20 pm

DarkPrince_92 wrote:The villain designs, especially Super 17, SSJ4 designs, and the Shadow Dragon Arc's basic concept of the overuse of Dragon Balls. Everything else can die.
Oh, yeah, I forgot the overuse. I would have thought of it as cool that someone was evil because of Piccolo Daimaoh killing Shenlong.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:24 pm

I really liked the art and music, and I really liked the vibe of the first 16(?) episodes. It was like the Pilaf arc, but in space.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:56 pm

Also the japanese theme. I love it over any other DB opening.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:03 am

Three words: "Super. Saiyan. Four."

With that being in first place by a huge margin, other high points include the music, the (usually) brisk pacing compared to DBZ, and the overall ideas of the story arcs, despite their poor execution.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:13 am

The soundtrack, the fight scenes and some of the villain designs. I used to like the Bebi saga, but I start to like it less now. The Shadow Dragon saga is always been hit or miss for me.
Last edited by Hellspawn28 on Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Captain Sauza
Beyond Newbie

Post by Captain Sauza » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:22 am

Super 17 was cool.
"We are Cooler's Armored Squadron!" *performs Sauza fighting pose*

Eternal Super Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Eternal Super Saiyan » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:29 am

It felt a lot like the first Dragon Ball series. GT definitely had a "lighthearted" approach compared to Z. That's mostly what I liked about it.
"Lord Beers, what are those?? Do they taste like root beer?" ~ Goku

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:33 am

The soundtrack, the premise of traversing the universe looking for Dragon Balls, the Japanese voice acting.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:46 am

I like the first arc's concept and all the designs that went into it before Baby is introduced. I guess... that is it.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:05 am

penguintruth wrote: the premise of traversing the universe looking for Dragon Balls
This is my answer. It's such a great idea that they do absolutely nothing with.

On that note the premise of there being repercussions for using the Dragon Balls so often is great. There's even a line somewhere in the show that points out that it wasn't supposed to be so mind numbingly easy but here these assholes are circling the planet in an hour.

Edit: Also the design of Super Saiyan 4 is great. I love it far more than I do blond hair and way more than that monstrosity known as Super Saiyan 3.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:22 am

I like the idea of Goku becoming a kid again, but it over stay it's welcome after the Bebi saga.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:28 am

The 4th ending theme and animation is what I like most. Actually I think that might be the only thing I like about GT.

garnetjester
Beyond Newbie

Post by garnetjester » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:42 am

I love its music. I also like the fact that Pan was a main character, and she was a fighter (not as good as I'd wanted). it tried to give some closure to dragon ball with its ending, which was more metaphysical than the open ending of DBZ. I also like SSJ4, it's a really cool design.
"Giving up is something we can do anytime, so let's head on, even if it's just a little bit!"

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:53 am

Baby is one of the best villains in the entire franchise.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:32 am

a lot of the idias are good but very badly excuted
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

JackyBoi99
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by JackyBoi99 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:51 am

Bebi vegeta arc, super saiyajin 4, vegeta, the opening, the music and the animation
It is clear that sometime in Mark Satan's life, he acquired the dragon balls and called upon shenlong to grant him immortality.

98% of Kanzenshuu-goers have not kissed a girl. If you're one of the 2% that has, copy and paste this into your signature.
- Kid Buu

JackyBoi99
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by JackyBoi99 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:52 am

However at times it was poorly executed :eh:.
It is clear that sometime in Mark Satan's life, he acquired the dragon balls and called upon shenlong to grant him immortality.

98% of Kanzenshuu-goers have not kissed a girl. If you're one of the 2% that has, copy and paste this into your signature.
- Kid Buu