Kai Episode 99 (06 April 2014)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Kai Episode 99 (06 April 2014)

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:33 pm

General Discussion for Dragon Ball Kai episode 99, aired 06 April 2014

あれから7年!今日から悟飯は高校生
Are kara Shichinen! Kyō kara Gohan wa Kōkōsei
7 Years Since That Event! Starting Today, Gohan's a High Schooler

PLEASE SAVE DISCUSSION FOR AFTER THE EPISODE HAS AIRED

---------------------

Wow, it's been five years since we first put up one of these episode-specific discussion threads, and three years since the last one! For those that are either new or do not remember, we like to keep a couple sticky threads around for the last batch of newly-aired episodes. We ask that discussions that are about single episodes stick to these kinds of threads; other, more-general discussions are of course welcome in their own new/existing/appropriate threads. We will open the thread shortly before the episode is broadcast.

We obviously live in an age where Google exists and you can find whatever you want to find, so please keep your business to yourself. We will not be providing links to view things live, to archive them later, etc.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Re: Kai Episode 99 (06 April 2014)

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:04 pm

It's on! No too big on the music so far...

Was on the wrong channel. :shock:

The biting scene is in the opening...I like this. :P Pretty enjoyable overall. Animation looked a bit stiff at times. Noticed some CGI as well, the city stuff at the start looked like it was left over from BOG.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:14 pm

Love the new intro. That's how you do a Dragon Ball intro.

Really not enjoying the new score yet though. Feels incongruous to both Kikuchi and Yamamoto so it may take a lot of time to get used to. Reusing tracks from BoG has definitely thrown me a bit. Wasn't expecting that.

Videl's new voice...uh, I mean, it's not bad but it's not got that same Videl charm that we once had. Again, unfair to make judgements yet but I'm very unsure right now.

Quite liked the music they used during that baseball scene, that seemed to fit a lot more than what came previously, that's for sure!

MID-BREAK

New eyecatches are okay. Goten and Trunks fusing followed by a terrible drawing of Videl for the first one. Second one is Goku and Vegeta fusing followed by a group shot. Decent enough.

Trunks sounds fantastic! Far less smoker voiced than in Z. Really happy with that actually.

I can't abide this music at all right now. I don't know what it is but it's throwing me off so much. All the reused BoG tracks don't work whatsoever. Can't stand it.

Again, really cool new ending animation. Not sure how I feel about that song actually. Does tend to take me a lot longer to love ending themes generally though.

Nozawa was fantastic in that! I don't know why I was even concerned that she wouldn't be but damn, she really delivered.
Last edited by Ajay on Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:28 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:19 pm

That eyecatch... :sick:

The scouter ad was pretty funny.

Jaco the Galactic Patrolman ad! :)

Completely missed the 2nd half of that eyecatch because I was typing this. :|

Has there been any new redrawn scenes yet? Haven't seen any myself, but that's because I've mostly been listening to the audio of the episode.

More re-used BOG music. Always enjoy hearing familiar pieces of music, but the soundtrack in general....I dunno. The music doesn't seem to stop- it feels like it's just been placed over the scenes without any real thought.

Goten!!!

Kick-ass ending animation. Absolutely loved it!

Feel like I should've watched the original episodes to really get a feel for the edits. Ah well. Watching Dragon Ball again, episode by episode, once a week, is something I haven't experienced in a long time. Had a lot of fun, it's actually really exciting! :D Definitely gonna tune in next week. Even sticking around for One Piece. It's 15 years old now? :shock:

New opening and ending for anyone that missed it, by the way. Someone in the chat-box of the stream I was watching uploaded these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8Haof_-Rzc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsc0ipyIpUs
Last edited by DragonBoxZTheMovies on Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:21 pm

Apparently it's no longer the "Dream 9" block, but the "Strong 9" block. Interesting. On another note, Masako Nozawa is killing it, as always.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

SRB2Unleashed
Regular

Post by SRB2Unleashed » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:41 pm

This was very identical to the rough edit of my Kai Buu saga, except mine ended a little further than what we left off here.

I enjoyed the faster pace and the reanimated scenes seem to be gone as this was on a shoestring budget, which actually worked in our favor. However the music here was very disappointing as BoG had at least a few tracks I'd consider "very good" while here it's more of generic "DB styled Mortal Kombat" toned and it's not that great. Better than recycled Kikuchi? Debatable.

The new pieces we got from the NEP, OP, ED and eyecatches were very visually bland and once again embraced the video game feel, which is not a good thing.

Since production for this arc is already done I assume what we've gotten so far will not change, which is very saddening.

Maybe I'm being too critical since it was only the first ep but usually I feel content after watching a Kai episode, here I'm not.

Overall, a 6/10. Maybe as we get deeper into the arc I'll praise it's pacing more (after all, Batman Gohan isn't exactly a super engaging plot) it's not awful and I'm sure the English Dub of it will be quite spectacular.

I kinda hope FUNi does some liberties with their release of Kai Buu and color correct the damn thing, though.
GT isn't bad, just sucks ass in comparison to the other 2 animes.

Subscribe to me on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ImmaKrillinYT

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:41 pm

Nozawa is still amazing.

The recycled BoG music is annoying (I know Z did it all the time, but it fit better), and the music that isn't is kind of generic.

I love the OP and ED, though, both the visuals and the songs. It got me pumped.

New Videl sounds a tad too cutesy for my tastes.

I'll have to watch it again subtitled before I can give a full review (on my blog). My impression so far is... eh, I guess it sped through some of that extraneous high school material.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:43 pm

Non-stream of consciousness, coherent post time!

That intro was absolutely fantastic. I'm so glad that song turned out so nicely, it really sets up such a positive and exciting tone to each episode. I was going to say it feels very 'classic Dragon Ball Z' but I guess that makes sense given who wrote it. I think I'll be very sad to see that go if and when it changes. I'm not wrong in thinking there'll be 4 different intros? Maybe that was outros...I'm a little fuzzy on that.

Videl's voice change! Damn, that really hit me hard. It's such a distinct voice to replace and that's really gonna take a while to adjust to. It wasn't bad but it didn't make me smile like it did in Z's days. A serviceable job and one I think will be hard to fully form an opinion of until far later in the show. I guess we'll see how that pans out in the tournament and beyond!

Regarding the score, I'm not keen at all. It's strange, I really liked Battle of Gods' soundtrack and yet, despite all the reused tracks in Kai, I just didn't like it. Whether it's that association with the flashy new animation from the film, I don't know, but that didn't sit right with me. The 'previously on' music was Faulconer levels of unfitting and the rest just seemed rather...bland. I did enjoy the cowboy western track for the baseball scene though, that's definitely the type of stuff that works in its context.

Pacing-wise, it seems to be doing its job. Of course, that episode didn't seem to have masses cut out from what I can remember but, of the cuts that did happen, it didn't seem particularly incongruous. They're certainly going through the high school section far faster than Z ever did and that's 100% okay with me. I'm very much looking forward to the tournament section.

Like Heath mentioned, Nozawa is absolutely nailing it! All the inflections for the key comedy sections were done so well! Can't wait to hear how her screams are sounding!

EDIT: So that episode seemed to cover the first chapter of Vol. 29 of the Kanzenban as well as two episodes of Z (200-201). So yeah, not a huge amount cut out overall.

One last thing I wanted to say was about the 16:9 crop. I hate the idea of cropping the show but I won't lie, they've done a fantastic job of framing it up for that aspect ratio. Only time I ever noticed it being an issue was when Trunks and Vegeta talk to Gohan for the first time. Trunks short height seemed to create some issues in framing it nicely but aside from that; really well done.
Last edited by Ajay on Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Deadtuber.

Prylum

Post by Prylum » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:44 pm

Oh boy, that opening.. Its as good as I was hoping it would be! That bite! But I have to say, I'm absolutely in love with that ending song :shock:

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:44 pm

Gonna be the odd one here and say I actually loved the new music.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

CashmanX
Patreon Supporter

Post by CashmanX » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:45 pm

Loved the opening song, but the actual animation dissapointed me. They really blew through the highschool stuff too. How many chaptes did they cover here? :shock:
olympia wrote: 21:28 why are we still talking about the emails
21:29 who gives a fuck
21:29 shut the fuck up trunks
21:29 * mean trump

SRB2Unleashed
Regular

Post by SRB2Unleashed » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:57 pm

CashmanX wrote:Loved the opening song, but the actual animation dissapointed me. They really blew through the highschool stuff too. How many chaptes did they cover here? :shock:
Three
GT isn't bad, just sucks ass in comparison to the other 2 animes.

Subscribe to me on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ImmaKrillinYT

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:19 pm

Loved the opening but I prefer DragonSoul. However the ending is quite awesome. Why they really flew pass H.S. Episodes. Miss Yammamoto though. Wasn't green tint like preview though.

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:21 pm

The score was fairly generic but I did like the piece that played during Saiyaman's poses. My inner Yamcha fan is disappointed that he didn't fly off with the others in the OP (even though Chaozu did). But the ED did him justice.Not that it really matters since he does absolutely nothing.

Also it is good to see that they are properly promoting all that DB-related merchandise.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:27 pm

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:34 pm

Its oficial. There isnt a single DB opening that I find bad. Even though this one seems the weakest of them all.
I still have to get used to it and the ending (Love that group photo). There were worse than this one though. Overall I really enjoyed the animation and colors from both.

About the episode itself, this highschool episodes will end so fast...
The sountracks look promising unlike before.

About the preview, I was expecting this time Goku doing his "Ossu!" from Other World but whatever. Lets see how this rolls. :P
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:37 pm

I'm gonna hold out on watching the episode until I can do so through more legal means. However, I cheated a bit on that stance and took a look at the uploaded YouTube videos of the new intro and ending. FANTASTIC animation! Music was....eh, it was good. Still not surpassing any of Kageyama's work, though (in my opinion).
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:38 pm

Thanks for posting this. Very nice to listen to that ending theme again. Wasn't amazed by it on a first listen but that's definitely grown on me quick.

Deadtuber.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:45 pm

I'll be waiting for the rest of Kai to come over here before I watch it, but it was fun talking to some friends who were watching this as it aired and getting their thoughts bounced off of me. I'm a little concerned with how fast this seems to be moving though, based on the first four episode titles that were revealed. I know most of the Saiyaman arc was filler and therefore does need to be chopped...but it just seems like it's going a little too fast. I just don't want a repeat of the Saiyan Arc here.

Love, love, love the new opening and ending though. The songs are great, definitely can't wait for full versions, and then eventual English versions. I'm not really feeling some of the animation though. Maybe it's just me, but while I really enjoyed the all new stuff (like the panning over the city, or the gang together in that photograph, and other such things), I'm not really feeling the new animation of in-series events (though I loved the Goku/Boo trading bites part). We're gonna be seeing that stuff again in-series anyway, and it just seems a little cheap, like they couldn't think of other things to show in the animation or something. But that's just a minor nitpick for me.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:50 pm

Still can't believe that we're watching new Dragon Ball Kai, more than three years after it initially "ended" in 2011.

When do we find out the ratings? Looking forward to seeing how healthy the Dragon Ball franchise is in Japan right now, one year on from BOG.

Can't stop watching the new opening and ending. They feel so...modern.