Funimation. Voice Actors.

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Adam

Funimation. Voice Actors.

Post by Adam » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:40 pm

Hi, well this is kind of a dumb question but it's killing me, so i'll just ask it.

Well recently i've been looking at the voice actors of Goku. Sean Schemmel as far as i know has done episode 54+.. One of my questions is. Does he do every saga of dragonballz? and something else that puzzled me.. is the difference between FUNimation (Ocean Group) And FUNimation (in-house actors)..I'm really confused because when i read about Goku voice actors it says that. From FUNImation ocean group, Kirby Morrow does the voice of Goku... and then i read that in FUNimation (in-house actors) Sean Schemmel does the voice of Goku all the sagas.. is their a difference between in house actors and ocean group. i'm soo confused someone please answer these questions.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:49 pm

Ocean was/is a production company that localizes anime. Many of the VAs who work with Ocean were hired by Funi/Saban to provide the voices on the early DBZ dub.

Schemmel, Sabat and the rest of them were hired directly by Funi to do the voices after the Ocean group was fired when Funi started dubbing the series without Saban. I believe they work almost exclusively for Funi as opposed to the VAs that work with the Ocean group, who are more like free agents. Thus they're Funi's "in-house" voice actors.

I'm not sure if I told that right :? .
Last edited by Majin Buu on Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Adam

Post by Adam » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:01 pm

I remember seing an episode on Tv it had the voice of Kirby Morrow for Goku instead of Sean Schemmel..Now i have the same episode on my computer yet the voice Sean Schemmel does goku and not Kirby morrow. so do they make two versions of some episodes with different voice actors?...it was really strange..

Pang_Tong

Post by Pang_Tong » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:04 pm

The Ocean Group still dubs the episodes for....is it Canada or the UK? Or am I way off?
[i]"Pang Tong, upon arriving at his new position, found the job to be boring and indulged himself in wine and pleasure, rather than collecting taxes or administering justice."[/i]

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:06 pm

Adam wrote:I remember seing an episode on Tv it had the voice of Kirby Morrow for Goku instead of Sean Schemmel..Now i have the same episode on my computer yet the voice Sean Schemmel does goku and not Kirby morrow. so do they make two versions of some episodes with different voice actors?...it was really strange..
I'm gonna say he was Goku in the late days of the Funi/Saban dub. Or like Pang said, what you saw is the Ocean dub that airs in Europe. I'm not exactly sure.
Last edited by Majin Buu on Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:06 pm

Pang_Tong wrote:The Ocean Group still dubs the episodes for....is it Canada or the UK? Or am I way off?
Ocean dubbed DB and DBZ for Canada and the UK. Blue Water Studios dubbed GT for the same regions.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:09 pm

After checking Wikipedia, Kirby Marrow did voice Goku for the Canada dub so that's probably what you saw.
Last edited by Majin Buu on Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Adam

Post by Adam » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:09 pm

Thanks everyone. i need to ask one more question. Sean Schemmel does the american dub version of dbz?

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:10 pm

Yep. The American dub Goku Sean Schemmel.

Maphisto86
Patreon Supporter

Post by Maphisto86 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:47 am

Well speaking as a Canadian we did get the Ocean group dub as far as the early Frieza saga and then it switched to the new Funi cast.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:03 am

Maphisto86 wrote:Well speaking as a Canadian we did get the Ocean group dub as far as the early Freeza saga and then it switched to the new Funi cast.
IIRC, it was switched back to Ocean after a time. Canada got a mix of both dubs. We American's got the Ocean version up until Ocean was fired (end of season 2) and then FUNi through the rest of the series, and then FUNi for the first 2 seasons with the re-dub. That could also be what the poster saw. He saw the original Ocean version on TV and then the re-dub on his computer.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:50 am

IIRC, it was switched back to Ocean after a time. Canada got a mix of both dubs. We American's got the Ocean version up until Ocean was fired (end of season 2) and then FUNi through the rest of the series, and then FUNi for the first 2 seasons with the re-dub. That could also be what the poster saw. He saw the original Ocean version on TV and then the re-dub on his computer.
No, we didn't get FUNI through the whole series. It switched sometime during the Cell Games saga (Episode 165, if I am right). Sad to say is, no Ultimate Uncut redubs on YTV lately :cry:

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:12 am

Okay, I'll just break this down:

North American: Seasons 1-2 & movies 1-3: Ocean Group; Season 3-DB, rest of movies & GT: FUNi.

Canada & UK: DB & GT: Blue Water; DBZ: Season 3: FUNi; Season 4-End of DBZ: Ocean Group; movies 1-9: Bridge Entertainment.

That's about it, unless I missed something...
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:25 am

FUNimation's "Fusion Saga" aired here as well.

But only once, then it switched to the Ocean Group's version.
Where's the beef?

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:45 am

Ocean Group; movies 1-9
They dubbed the movies too?!

Now this I gotta see :D

DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DB_Fan » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:58 pm

Eclipse wrote:
Ocean Group; movies 1-9

I don't think you want to. :wink: Watch it only if you want to see Mr. Big Green. :D

Kula
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kula » Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:53 pm

The 'Big Green' movies weren't dubbed by Ocean. They were vomit inducingly awful.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:03 pm

Eclipse wrote:
Ocean Group; movies 1-9

Well... no... :oops:

I should've made this clearer... when I do the :, it's the stuff that the dubbing company did that came before it. When I usedc the ;, I mean that I'm moving onto the next group.

As so: FUNi: DB-GT; Ocean Group:..., etc.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

BoxerGloves
Beyond Newbie

Post by BoxerGloves » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:06 pm

DB_Fan wrote:
Eclipse wrote:
Ocean Group; movies 1-9

I don't think you want to. :wink: Watch it only if you want to see Mr. Big Green. :D
Oh, dear God. Just watching the clips of that U.K Bridge dub on You Tube was bad enough already. Who'd even want to see something like that anyway?

The 'Big Green' movies weren't dubbed by Ocean. They were vomit inducingly awful.
Yep. As far as I could see, those were nothing more than a fandub-turned-official versions.

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:26 pm

Oh, I know that they didn't do Big Green. I just wanted to see the Ocean dub movies just because of the fact I was interested to see how it would be like...that's all
The Big Green ones? Or the ones by Ocean?