Have you ever lost interest in the franchise?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSJ Electric Fury
Beyond Newbie

Re: Have you ever lost interest in the franchise?

Post by SSJ Electric Fury » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:31 pm

I lost interest in the Red Ribbon Army and General Blue sagas. The Red Ribbon one is boring (at least the Muscle Tower portion) and, though I don't remember it well, the General Blue one is arguably nonessential to the story. I'm iffy about the Fusion Saga, since things are dragged out and it seems to become padding between the Majin Buu and Kid Buu sagas (Kai may help to remedy this). The (21st) Tournament Saga is mostly absent of engaging fights, but at least it has story importance.

I watched the FUNimation Z series back in 2003 but stopped after Toonami was removed from afternoon broadcast. I got back into the series with the stateside Nicktoons broadcast of Dragon Ball Kai I had found out about. Manga-wise, I did read some of the Buu arc this past year, to see how the Kai version of the anime will likely be scripted.
"You can't make up for your mistakes when you're dead." - Irina Akulov, Xenoblade [Chronicles] X
ringworm128 wrote:

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:30 am

I'll always like it, but I guess you could say Dragon Ball sorta comes and goes when it comes to me. Like whenever something new comes out, or I'm feeling nostalgic.

AnzuMazaki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by AnzuMazaki » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:37 am

Well I NEVER lost interest in Dragonball at all but there was a time between 2004-Early 2008 when I liked Yu-Gi-Oh! more than DB (hence my username, if I could change it it would be YamchaFan by now).

but come 2008 after watching the original DB for two years, it revived my love for the series and it became my main fandom, with the original series as my favourite DB anime.
Wishes she can change her name to YamchaFan (her name everywhere else)
Obssessed with the Earthlings and the original DB anime

YamchaFan's deviantART: https://yamchafan91.deviantart.com/
YamchaFan's Fanart Tumblr: https://yamchafanart.tumblr.com/
YamchaFan's YouTube (where you can see MikuMikuDance Videos): https://www.youtube.com/user/MihoNosaka

BlackCatScott
Regular

Post by BlackCatScott » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:10 am

I've never lost interest in the series. There are times of course when I'm just not watching the series, because I've seen it countless times now and I like to watch others shows! I don't think periods of time where I'm just not watching the series would count as any loss of interest though. There's never been a period of time where Dragonball Z hasn't popped into my head at least once a day. I've always felt the need to check some Dragonball forums, watch some videos on YouTube, talk about it with someone, or just check the latest news. Funnily enough though I've seen many a friend lose interest (and gain it again) over the years.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:36 pm

I'll always love Dragon Ball...but I have definitely lost most of my interest in the past 2-3 years.

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:23 am

My interest waxes and wanes, though the past couple of years (basically from the birth of Kanzenshuu on) have definitely been on the higher end of the scale.

Although, to be perfectly frank, I find myself gradually becoming more of a Toriyama fan in general, rather than a Dragon Ball fan in particular. The reason I don't go all-out down that route is simply because I have no time for that, with all the Dragon Ball translations and whatnot I have on the docket already. There's plenty of overlap, though....
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:14 pm

I have yet to marathon the Dragon Ball anime and don't own the DBZ movies yet so I've got plenty to do. These days I'm re-watching early DBZ and loving it. I recently got a blu-ray surround sound system that makes watching even my mono Dragon Boxes freaking amazing. It even adjusts the aspect ratio so I can watch it on my widescreen HD TV in 4:3. So yea now I want the movies. I got Akira on blu-ray and holy hell, I finally have a home theater system and its an awesome upgrade for me. :o

A simple sound and video quality upgrade has re-sparked my interest in watching the anime.

Kid Trunks
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kid Trunks » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:56 pm

My interest is definitely at an all time low. I rarely look at the forum anymore. As others have said, at this point I've already given my opinion multiple times on anything I've had an interest in. And I don't have any questions about the storyline/characters, they've all been answered over the years. I don't care about the new games, they feel so redundant.

I watched Battle of Gods a few days ago and generally hated it. I hadn't watched anything Dragonball in over 2 years so I thought it might feel fresh. But from the minute it stated I felt burnt out on it so quickly. Same old thing: everyone just happens to be together for a party, everyone loses in 1 punch, injured Vegeta stands there holding his arm, blah blah blah.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:27 am

I would say my interest is definitely not what it used to be, but the decline isn't as drastic as it may appear to certain people who have been around for all of my years where I was an extremely active member of all facets of the community. I was a teen at one point, and with the natural progression of life I became exponentially busier the last half-decade. I will strongly say that I wish I could remain more involved, but I do remain highly present around Kanzenshuu. I check in and observe regularly, but at least here on the forum (and twitter as well) I sadly don't participate much anymore; slightly due to decreased interest, mainly due to a lack of free time (and yes, I know, free time will only continue to go down as life goes on :| ).

It does come back in spurts though, and I dive back into various Kanzenshuu fan projects and BGM endeavors and spout some words on the forum! Home is where the heart is.

Aoi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Aoi » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:22 pm

Just wanted to share my story.

Naturally, my interest in different shows has waned over time. I used to be obsessed with Breaking Bad, and now I can barely be bothered to watch it if it's on TV. With Dragon Ball, I go through cycles, but my love for the franchise has never diminished. I'm eternally grateful for how it's made me happy during some of the toughest periods in my life. In High School, I suffered through clinical depression, and I was taking some pretty hardcore medication. This series actually helped me get through this period. And this is something that I'll always be grateful for. My interest may have waned when the English broadcast of Dragon Ball GT came out (who wouldn't :roll:), but Dragon Ball always had a special place in my heart. When I first saw the series in Japanese, it was as good as I had imagined it would be.

The big test came years later, when casually watching Dragon Ball Kai during my time working abroad. I couldn't believe that I (age 24 at the time) had become completely absorbed by Kai. And I knew the story scene by scene. I loved it. About a few years ago, I finally sat down to watch the original Dragon Ball. Except for the Red Ribbon arc (the worst part of Dragon Ball IMO), I found the rest of the series to be brilliant. Same with Battle of Gods (which, in wrestling terms, actually got me to "mark out"/feel like a kid again).Naturally, I'll stop thinking about it if there's no news up. But whenever I find out that there's some new Dragon Ball (tv or film) coming out, I get really happy. The show's like a lifelong companion to me. I just adore it, and still think it's the coolest thing ever. Oh and Dragon Ball Abridged is genius. It always makes my morning when I see a new episode has been posted. :D

dan2026
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dan2026 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:41 pm

I had lost interest until the Kai Buu saga was officially announced.

MrSatan2099
Patreon Supporter

Post by MrSatan2099 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:39 pm

Same as most everybody else I suppose. I never get rid of any of my memorabilia, because I know I'll eventually come back around again. I guess I get most excited about the brand when I meet a younger person who's just recently gotten into it. I've met kids watching Kai and GT on Nicktoons who genuinely have no idea what's going to happen next, and that's always a good reminder of the glory days. Hopefully something big will happen in next few years to reignite my enthusiasms, but until then my fandom is just sort of simmering on medium.

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:16 pm

I just wanted to add that with the reemergence of Dragon Ball Kai it has never been harder to lose interest in the franchise! I'm glad that it's back on the tube, and can't wait to check out Funimation's dub of it in the next year or two.
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

BojGrass
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BojGrass » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:48 pm

My love for the franchise has always remained, though my interest definitely comes and goes. It's always slacked off after a few months of nothingness. It's always been funny though. Every time I've been in a low period after about a year or so I get a wild hair and I've always thought "I'll go check out Daizex (at the time)," and without fail something new was going on. The first time I remember coming back to the series was the Ultimate Uncuts/Brick releases. This last time it was Battle of Gods. This last time has been different as well. I've actually bothered to go back and purchase/read the manga which has kind of fueled the flame. Buu Kai isn't helping, though I haven't been able to watch it because I'm not sure how to watch Japanese broadcast television. :P

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:22 pm

With all this new stuff my interest is lowering. Kai doesn't really count as "new" to me. But stuff like Jaco, BoG, and Minus turns me off a bit. Not fond of old series getting new plots added to it.