Kai Episode 102 (27 April 2014)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Kai Episode 102 (27 April 2014)

Post by Hujio » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:39 am

General Discussion for Dragon Ball Kai episode 102, aired 27 April 2014

ドラゴンチーム全員集合!帰ってきた孫悟空!!
Doragon Chīmu Zen'in Shūgō! Kaettekita Son Gokū!!
The Dragon Team, All Assembled! Son Goku has Returned!!

PLEASE SAVE DISCUSSION FOR AFTER THE EPISODE HAS AIRED
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Ajay

Re: Kai Episode 102 (27 April 2014)

Post by Ajay » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:28 pm

Well, that was awful.

It's a dull episode anyway but that music was almost Faulconer levels of wall-to-wall placement.

Uchiyama's awful artwork tinted green didn't help either.

Very depressing.

I simply can't get over the logic behind putting fucking techno music in Goku's return scene. That's a touching moment Toei, you don't put techno music during a TOUCHING MOMENT!

FUNi dub's score was far better than that crap, Sumitomo. Seriously. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlK7a9-taOU
Last edited by Ajay on Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

dodge2461
Not-So-Newbie

Post by dodge2461 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:32 pm

Pretty sure Goku coming back to life was supposed to be touching, Toei.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:42 pm

What a happy family indeed.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:51 pm

Wow, completely forgot that this was on.

Gotta be honest guys, I've already lost interest in this...the music, the lower budget; it's all been a real turn off and I just feel like I can't be bothered with it anymore. I might tune in again when the fighting starts, just to see how they're done musically- hoping that some of my favourite pieces from BOG will turn up.

Interest will definitely be revived when FUNimation's dub rolls around, but for now, I'll only occasionally be watching an episode if anything notable comes up.

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:55 pm

Something tells me it's gonna be futile to defend kai anymore, so I'll wait until I can watch the episode, but if Ajay is correct, I'm gonna hate this episode with a PASSION, Techno music when Goku comes back?....
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:30 pm

Once again, here's an album of screenshots from the episode.

And also, here's a video of that the Goku/Goten reunion in all its 'glory' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WajinTxvRKI

Eurgh, it's so bad.

I couldn't find a clip of the Z version in Japanese for comparison but here's a clip from the Mexican (?) dub - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGAQnnMjJy8

Gets the tone across absolutely fine and demonstrates just how terribly they handled this scene in Kai.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:50 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:And also, here's a video of that the Goku/Goten reunion in all its 'glory' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WajinTxvRKI
Whoa, holy crap...I'm normally not near as harsh on music as a lot of you are I think, but...dear lord that's awful. :shock:

I mean, I guess the music itself isn't bad, but it doesn't fit the scene. Like...at all. Just about everything Falcouner and crew ever did at least fit better than that.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:53 pm

Can't believe I'm saying this, but I can actually get behind the idea of having the music go for an upbeat feel for that scene rather than a touching one. So, in theory, at least, it's not something I disagree with. But once again, the music itself is just not all that good. Sigh.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:55 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:Once again, here's an album of screenshots from the episode.

And also, here's a video of that the Goku/Goten reunion in all its 'glory' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WajinTxvRKI

Eurgh, it's so bad.

I couldn't find a clip of the Z version in Japanese for comparison but here's a clip from the Mexican (?) dub - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGAQnnMjJy8

Gets the tone across absolutely fine and demonstrates just how terribly they handled this scene in Kai.
Man oh man what's with the music it sounds so bad smh. The music used for this scene in the funimation dub and the ocean dub sounded better then this.

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:00 pm

I like that they tried to have an electronic upbeat song but that constant UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ beat just doesn't work and I don't know why. It just feels so video-gamey.
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:07 pm

This episode was.... atrocius... and that´s coming from someone who supported the music at first.....

I really hate Nagasaki right now

he could have just slapped one of the eternal universes in bog score in there! talk about incompetent!

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:13 pm

Black_Liger wrote:This episode was.... atrocius... and that´s coming from someone who supported the music at first.....

he could have just slapped one of the eternal universes in bog score in there! talk about incompetent!

I'm honestly just looking forward for the dub when funimation releases it.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:15 pm

Black_Liger wrote:This episode was.... atrocius... and that´s coming from someone who supported the music at first.....

According to Nagasaki the music was placed by Motoyama Satoshi.

Anyway, the music placement is awful as usual. The actual editing of the footage was great, though.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:20 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:And also, here's a video of that the Goku/Goten reunion in all its 'glory' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WajinTxvRKI

Eurgh, it's so bad.
:sick: Instead of savouring the moment, it feels like the music and the editing is trying to rush us through the scene, as if we're watching some sort of clip show. How I miss Yamamoto's score...I think having the orchestral version of Dragon Soul playing over this scene would've been magic. Hell, I didn't even think the Kikuchi-mix for Kai was all that bad- it was just a bit weak in parts.

Wow, I feel like I'm starting to care less and less about this. :| I actually enjoy FUNimation's dubbing for the Buu arc as well, so...

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:41 pm

I give up. I absolutely give up.

Kai ended at the Cell saga. Nothing more, nothing less.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:50 pm

Gonstead wrote:I give up. I absolutely give up.

Kai ended at the Cell saga. Nothing more, nothing less.

We heard another one piece of orchestra now, the one with mr satan, but the sound director (which people tell me might not be yukio nagasaki) just refuses to make a good placement

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:49 am

AjayLikesGaming wrote:Once again, here's an album of screenshots from the episode.

Eurgh, it's so bad..
Holy shit that's bad. Break out the glowsticks people!

ErikB
Beyond Newbie

Post by ErikB » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:30 am

Eurgh, it's so bad.
Yeesh. I don't mind the music itself so much, it strikes me as generic ambience which isn't bad to have for this portion of the show...but it's certainly not the right choice for that scene. It really reminds me of something you'd here during a character select screen in a fighting game.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:17 am

Is it just me, or is this episode really... undersaturated?

I mean, Goku's undershirt is almost gray here.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash