Toriyama says Goku won't turn Super Saiyan 2 or 3 any more!?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

qjz123
Regular

Toriyama says Goku won't turn Super Saiyan 2 or 3 any more!?

Post by qjz123 » Fri May 02, 2014 12:12 pm

Goku endlessly keeps getting stronger, with Super Saiyan 3 in the manga and Super Saiyan 4 in the anime; does Super Saiyan keep getting limitlessly stronger too? Might we eventually see things such as a Super Saiyan 5…?!

Super Saiyan 2 and 3 are nothing more than powered-up variations of Super Saiyan. After the fight with Beerus, Goku realized that mastering his normal state and Super Saiyan would raise his level more and sap less strength, so I think he probably won’t become Super Saiyan 2 or 3 any more.
This is from Saikyō Jump's June 2014 Issue translated here http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... mysteries/. Toriyama said after fighting Beerus Goku realized that he's better off mastering his normal state and Super Saiyan rather than transforming into Super Saiyan 2 or 3. Does this mean those forms are now obsolete and that the power of Super Saiyan 3 is achievable in the normal Super Saiyan state :crazy: I'm confused.
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Re: Toriyama says Goku won't turn Super Saiyan 2 or 3 any mo

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Fri May 02, 2014 12:15 pm

Well, that really throws a wrench into GT.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri May 02, 2014 12:16 pm

You should add "probably" to the title, seeing as that's what Toriyama actually says. We wouldn't want people getting the wrong idea.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Fri May 02, 2014 12:19 pm

qjz123 wrote:that the power of Super Saiyan 3 is achievable in the normal Super Saiyan state :crazy: I'm confused.
We already knew that. See Ultimate Gohan. As the Old Kai said, transformations is not the way to go.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri May 02, 2014 12:32 pm

Translated: "I forgot SS2 exists, and SS3 is really hard to draw"

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri May 02, 2014 12:36 pm

Freeza Soldier #156 wrote:Well, that really throws a wrench into GT.
No it doesn't? As said in the other thread, Toriyama says "probably" won't. SS2 is only used like once, for 10 seconds, and SS3 is used twice, for less than a minute combined. I think that fits just fine.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Fri May 02, 2014 12:50 pm

This is kinda hinted on in the Cell arc as well, when Goku and Gohan decide to keep using the SSJ transformation instead of using the "ascended" forms. But then the Buu arc comes along and we get two new SSJ transformations (with SSJ2 being established as a separate form).
I wonder how the whole story would have went if they didn't introduce SSJ2 and SSJ3.

But all in all, I simply believe that drawing SSJ2 and SSJ3 is harder and just using SSJ1 makes the movies easier to both animate and write, especially since they now can make any of the characters as strong as they want when they don't have to follow a strict continuity and power scaling as it had to be done during the manga's run.

Low Tone G
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Low Tone G » Fri May 02, 2014 12:53 pm

I take that statement like: Goku doesn't need to transform into SSJ2 and 3, as those put a real strain on body, and Goku wants to fight as long as he wants, so he better trains his base and SSJ, and having SSJ-G the SSJ2 and 3 wouldn't give him any addition in strength, just more strain, so it's completely uncessary to ascend to those levels.
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Fri May 02, 2014 1:38 pm

It's way easier to fit Toriyama's comment in with GT than it is to fit his other comments from that Q&A in with the manga (3 Kaioshins?!).

In general...I really doubt Toriyama has any interest in discounting GT. But he also doesn't seem to know/remember much about it, and doesn't seem to be making any effort to avoid contradicting it (which, again, is pretty much the same as with the actual manga).
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Low Tone G
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Low Tone G » Fri May 02, 2014 2:10 pm

Herms wrote:It's way easier to fit Toriyama's comment in with GT than it is to fit his other comments from that Q&A in with the manga (3 Kaioshins?!).

In general...I really doubt Toriyama has any interest in discounting GT. But he also doesn't seem to know/remember much about it, and doesn't seem to be making any effort to avoid contradicting it (which, again, is pretty much the same as with the actual manga).
Maybe the Kaioshin he mentioned was the rerpective Dai Kaioshin, who indeed creates planets and new life-forms, as the East Kaioshin doesn't really do anything other than watching the universe's events... :P
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri May 02, 2014 2:14 pm

I'm ok with this. Two was never that much noticeably different appearance-wise, and three I never liked all that much because of those eyebrows. >_>
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri May 02, 2014 2:26 pm

I don't think we need to take it as, "Goku will never use SSJ2 or SSJ3 again under any circumstances." Just that Goku realizes his normal form and mastered SSJ are optimal for battle, so he'll focus on them for his training. Which stuff in both the manga and other spin-off material has already kind of said or shown. But if the fate of the Earth depends on Goku whipping out Super Saiyan 3 for all of 5 seconds, I doubt he's going to refuse to do so.

Plus, the context of Toriyama saying this is, "after the battle with Beerus." So if the whole thing about Goku keeping all or most of Super Saiyan God's power is true, then it's very likely he really never will need Super Saiyan 2 or 3 again. I'm not sure what difference even Super Saiyan 1 still makes.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri May 02, 2014 3:14 pm

I don't see anything weird here. Goku absorbed the power of Super Saiyan God, and as we saw in the movie, Goku could use the majority of its power in base, and transforming into Super Saiyan didn't make him significantly stronger, if any at all. So, since Super Saiyan 2 & Super Saiyan 3 put a strain in the body, while Super Saiyan (Full Power) doesn't, it makes sense for Goku to abandon them now that they don't help him much, like he abandoned Super Saiyan Grade 2, Super Saiyan Grade 3, and Super Saiyan God.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

MasterVampire
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MasterVampire » Fri May 02, 2014 7:19 pm

Whatever...

Just give me Vegeta SSJ3

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Fri May 02, 2014 7:38 pm

Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Fri May 02, 2014 8:02 pm

Honestly didn't like this tidbit. It's just a repeat of what the Cell arc did in regards to the Graded forms, except now it contradicts the idea of Super Saiyan 2 being the right way to transform. NOPE, that's wrong as well, and SS2/3 are just more Graded forms.

Of course this IS said in context of Goku's battle with Beerus, and it's probably a good idea there to avoid him becoming too strong now that he's been haxed up with God power.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri May 02, 2014 9:33 pm

Kid Buu wrote:Ha, I was right!
Nothing is said about Goku losing the ability to become a Super Saiyan 3.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Fri May 02, 2014 10:57 pm

Saiga wrote:Honestly didn't like this tidbit. It's just a repeat of what the Cell arc did in regards to the Graded forms, except now it contradicts the idea of Super Saiyan 2 being the right way to transform. NOPE, that's wrong as well, and SS2/3 are just more Graded forms.
Old Kai already said that was wrong as well. Transformations are not the way to go.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Fri May 02, 2014 11:13 pm

I thought this was moreso implying that Goku in God Form can access all of its power regardless of SSj form, so there's no need to go a step or two further and have the drawbacks.

This would go in line with the common fan explanation of Gohan's Ultimate power-up being accessible regardless of whether he is in base form or SSj.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Fri May 02, 2014 11:22 pm

Marco Polo wrote:
Saiga wrote:Honestly didn't like this tidbit. It's just a repeat of what the Cell arc did in regards to the Graded forms, except now it contradicts the idea of Super Saiyan 2 being the right way to transform. NOPE, that's wrong as well, and SS2/3 are just more Graded forms.
Old Kai already said that was wrong as well. Transformations are not the way to go.
That's not the same thing. Super Saiyan in general is wrong, having all the power in base is best. But, Super Saiyan 2 is the best Super Saiyan form. This has changed that to say that regular Super Saiyan is best, which is not what the series implied.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!