The Many English Voices Of Goku (Updated Clip)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

The Many English Voices Of Goku (Updated Clip)

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:13 am

(Yay Iam back) So, I've been wanting to make a clip of all the English voices Goku has had (in DBZ) during these past years. I made the clip last night but I felt it wasn't complete because I couldn't find certain names. Like the UK dub. They don't credit there own VA in there end title credits and its like impossible to find. Oh well. I just wrote "Unknown" as there name. Sorry Mr.UK voice actor. :cry:

I thought it would be a good clip for reference for the new comers into the series that don't know about the past dubs.

Oh well, here ya go...

**Edit: The updated version has taken its place. See my later post.**
Last edited by Tanooki Kuribo on Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Timo
Regular

Post by Timo » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:34 am

NICE! :o

I alwyas wanted to make something like that but I'm a lazy guy.^^

Muhahah! The "He-Goku" is so funny. The whole dub is a (more or less) perfect copy of the french dub. "Kamehameya" for a Kaioken...priceless!
You should hear/see his SSJ transformation in movie 7!
Transformations (DBZ Movie 7 - Bridge/Warner/AB)
Oh and Trunks is such a girl in the this dub!
Lady Trunks (DBZ Movie 7 - Bridge/Warner/AB)

But where is Kirby Morrow? :P
And the guy from the filipino dub (As far as I know movies 5 and 6 are in "English")? ;D
Last edited by Timo on Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:41 am

Oh my god! :shock: That guy from the British dub is horrible. And is it just me or does the Malaysian dub guy sound more like an English speaking actor doing a stereotypical accent to anyone else?

Ms. Nadolny's Goku is also great though you didn't use her.

And I think it's a good thing he didn't use Kirby Morrow. His Miroku, Cyclops and Trowa are nice, but his Goku isn't very good.

Timo
Regular

Post by Timo » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:52 am

I like his Goku. I prefer Peter Kelamis, but Kirby Morrow's Goku isn't bad.

Besides, what's up with "He-Goku"? Is he good? ;)

Dominator
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dominator » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:07 am

Schemmer's favourite out of the bunch there, I prefer the "He-Goku" over Peter Kalamis myself.
[url=http://www.freewebs.com/vendavaleste/]Carrion - The Dominator Fansite[/url]

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:32 am

It's sad that Kelamis is the only one that could pronounce Kaio-Ken properly.

Btw, you seem to be missing Kirby Morrow as Goku and his Blue Water dub voice. :P
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:50 am

Sean Schemmel, and Ian Corlett are both fantastic as Goku.

Peter Kelamis however, to me, always sounded as if he was trying too damn hard to imitate Ian's voice of Goku, that it sounded like every word he spoke was a strain on the throat.

Kirby Morrow's voice was also great for the role of Goku ( although he was not mentioned in the video tsk tsk. )

'He-Man' Goku, jeez...no comment. Just plainly, OMGWTFBBQSAUCE!?! LMFAO! Sad just, very very sad.

That last voice that was introduced, the Malaysian one, erm, It really does sound like an english speaking man trying to use a sterotypical accent.

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:22 am

That UK Goku sounded more like android 16 if you ask me and it was HORRIBLE. And the last voice actor was horrible too, with strange accent and all...

MartianOddity
Beyond Newbie

Post by MartianOddity » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:52 am

That He-Man Goku abused my ears. I will never forget that horrible voice.
Good people last longer!

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:02 am

Snail wrote:Kirby Morrow's voice was also great for the role of Goku ( although he was not mentioned in the video tsk tsk. )
Morrow was a crappy Goku. The man always sounded like he was sitting there half asleep just reading the lines off the script when he spoke. He was flatter than a pancake. Plus he seemed physically incapable of actually yelling.

I for one am happy he wasn't included. >>
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:18 am

Crap! Kirby Morrow! I totally forgot about him cause I didn't have a DVD of the UK Dub. This movie will be updated if I get a clip.
Ms. Nadolny's Goku is also great though you didn't use her.
Yea, maybe one day I'll do a chibi Goku one.

Edit: Sorry Timo I erased the part where I asked for a clip, I didn't realize it also included what you now responded to. Sorry I just made you look crazy.
Last edited by Tanooki Kuribo on Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Timo
Regular

Post by Timo » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:22 am

I think I can mix a clip of Mr. Morrow (if you can wait).

As far as I know Jeremiah Yurk did play Goku in GT (and in the last DB episodes with the Blue Water dub).

Blitzen
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Blitzen » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:27 am

The video game one sounds a LOT like Steven Blum/David Lucas.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:26 am

The video game one sounds a LOT like Steven Blum/David Luca
Your probley right, but it isnt written anywhere official. I don't know why. Even though some people arent credited, it still shows off the variaty of his English voices. Also, if anyone finds anything official for any of the unknowns feel free to E-mail me or somthing.

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:47 pm

COME MAGIC CLOUD! :lol:

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:29 pm

My favorite English Goku(s) will always be Sean Schemmel and Peter Kelamis.

I pick those because Sean's been Goku for years now, improved dramatically since the Freeza arc and he knows his stuff. He doesn't sound like Ms. Nozawa, but that's a good thing because he makes his Goku voice work.

I like Peter Kelamis because to me he sounds the most like Masako Nozawa. I find it a striking similarity between his "surfer dude" accent and Nozawa's "hick" accent. Plus, his Kaioken was pronounced perfectly (in the movies), and he was the first English Goku I ever heard, cuz I started watching DBZ during the Namek arc.

Mr. Corlett does a good job with Goku's normal speaking voice, but he never could scream all that great. His screams sounded rather forced and low compared to the others. Of course, this is just my opinion.
Last edited by theoriginalbilis on Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:52 pm

From all I like Ian Corlett the best. I always liked him when the Saiyajin saga aired and I was so dissapointed when he was replaced by Peter Kelamis. Sean Schemmel was okay but I still prefer Ian over him. Haha, I own own movie 6 dubbed by Bridge Kids, and all those voices were of course bloody awful... I remember watching it for the first time, God, I was so ashamed. xD The last voice also sounds pretty stupid. :x

BoxerGloves
Beyond Newbie

Post by BoxerGloves » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:09 pm

Of all the voice actors that portrayed Goku in the English dub of DBZ, Peter Kelamis is by far my most favorite. While I liked Ian Corlett's performance as well, I place Peter Kelamis above anyone else. Yeah I know, during the first couple of episodes of the Namek Saga, he did sounded a bit rusty, but as the show progressed he voice greatly improved. In fact, during the very last episode of the Saban dub (it's ep 52), that's when Peter really shined, even though it'd be the very last episode of the season 2. However, when Pioneer snatched the rights for the first three DBZ movies, Peter Kelamis managed to continue his performance as Goku at his best.
On the other hand, I can't stand Sean Schemmel's performance as Goku, for three reasons:
1) His overly macho voice makes Goku sound just like a typical super hero. Combine that with FUNimation's "standard" bad scripting of the English DBZ dub, it gets really awful.
2)Whenever there's a scene when Goku is shown laughing, Sean gives him this horrendous clown-like laughter.
3)And the biggest problem that he has, is that Sean grunts a lot. During any fighting scenes in Dragon Ball Z, he goes "uh uh ugh" every time Goku throws a punch or fires a blast. I'm not kidding you, in any episode, if Goku fires 10 energy blasts, you'll hear Mr. Schemmel making exactly 10 grunts in a row. If not 12. And this problem with grunting had continued, from the season 3 till the very last episode of DBZ. Also, pretty much all the FUNi VAs, who were involved in the English dub of DBZ, had this problem with grunting as well.

Peter Kelamis however, did something that neither Ian Corlett or Sean Schemmel failed to do. Aside from Peter Kelamis, that was something that only Masako Nozawa achieved. You know what that was?
Is that Peter made Goku sound like an adult kid. You know, an innocent boy trapped inside a grown man's body. And whenever you watch an English dub of DBZ, don't you think that it's nice to see a North American voice actor interpreting the character that he's playing, properly?
So yeah. To me, Peter Kelamis' voice as Goku always was and always will be the only real English dub voice that Goku ever had.
It's sad that Kelamis is the only one that could pronounce Kaio-Ken properly.
Yeah, I know. I highly recommend to check out the particular scene in the original Pioneer dub of the second Dragon Ball Z movie, when Goku confronts Kishime and Ebifuriya (two of Dr. Willow's henchmen). There, when Goku frees himself from the block of ice, he shouts "Kaio-Ken", and his voice and his pronounciation and delivery of that line is dead-on to Masako Nozawa's. In fact, I think that this is the only instance in any foreign adaptation's of Dragon Ball Z (be it the English, Spanish, French, or even Korean versions), when Goku sounded just like his original Japanese voice actress, Masako Nozawa.

P.S: In case you don't own the English dubbed version of The World's Strongest, here's the clip of that scene, about which I was talking about:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=zeJXBYUgTYY& ... ed&search=

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:26 pm

Kirby Morrow pronounced Kaiô-ken correctly as well, in the Afterlife Tournament episodes.
Where's the beef?

veshira
Regular

Post by veshira » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:21 pm

Wow, that Unknown UK guy is the worst Goku I've ever heard. I turned the volume down and started screaming when I heard him. Even Peter Kelamis and the guy who did Goku for the English version of Final Bout was better than him!

The Malaysian voices for Goku and Vegeta made me laugh, as well as the "translation" of the script.
What's scarier than a DBZ H-game?
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLuBVyPsL5g]Fear the dancing![/url]