Kai Episode 104 (11 May 2014)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

baneofdemon22
Beyond Newbie

Re: Kai Episode 104 (11 May 2014)

Post by baneofdemon22 » Mon May 12, 2014 8:34 am

As every episode so far, I really enjoyed it. I want this on blu-ray now, so I can sell my dvds!

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Mon May 12, 2014 10:12 am

According to the newest issue of Shonen Jump, it seems that the next episode is going to cover the first half (or at least the beginning) of the fight between Videl and Spopovich. The NEP did show a few shots from DBZ episode 216, so it was predictable anyway.

I'm very interested in seeing how different the official version is compared to my own fan-edit that I made a year ago.

Videl vs Spopovich [Fan-Edit]
Videl vs Spopovich [First Half with Sumitomo's Music]

Sinedd

Post by Sinedd » Mon May 12, 2014 10:37 am

Episode 104 - A Troubling Premonition! The Appearance of a Mysterious Warrior!!
Very good episode. Best part was when Vegeta picked number 12 and he'll fight against his biggest rival ever - Goku! I wonder who will win... :mrgreen:
The upcoming matches are:
1. Krillin versus Pintar
2. Piccolo (under the alias " Ma Junior") versus Shin
3. Videl versus Spopovich
4. Gohan versus Kibito
5. Mr. Satan versus Android 18
6. Goku versus Vegeta
7. "Mighty Mask" versus Killa
8. Jewel versus Yamu
The mysterious warrior is named Shin and he seems very strong. Can this mysterious warrior beat Piccolo? And...look at these 2 guys, Spopovich, soo angry!! :evil: The other fighters aren't so strong, I guess...Jewel and that fat guy, Pintar.
Satan lost the match with Trunks, at least he can be an actor. lol. I wished if he had to fight a human opponent to see how powerful he is, but ...

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Mon May 12, 2014 11:06 am

I've chuckled a bit when I've read your comment.

In DB: Ma Junior vs Shen.
In DBZ: Ma Junior vs Shin.

Tori was ironic the day he wrote that chapter :lol:
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Post by worldmonsters » Mon May 12, 2014 11:51 am

Sinedd wrote:Episode 104 - A Troubling Premonition! The Appearance of a Mysterious Warrior!!
Very good episode. Best part was when Vegeta picked number 12 and he'll fight against his biggest rival ever - Goku! I wonder who will win... :mrgreen:
The upcoming matches are:
1. Krillin versus Pintar
2. Piccolo (under the alias " Ma Junior") versus Shin
3. Videl versus Spopovich
4. Gohan versus Kibito
5. Mr. Satan versus Android 18
6. Goku versus Vegeta
7. "Mighty Mask" versus Killa
8. Jewel versus Yamu
The mysterious warrior is named Shin and he seems very strong. Can this mysterious warrior beat Piccolo? And...look at these 2 guys, Spopovich, soo angry!! :evil: The other fighters aren't so strong, I guess...Jewel and that fat guy, Pintar.
Satan lost the match with Trunks, at least he can be an actor. lol. I wished if he had to fight a human opponent to see how powerful he is, but ...
Wow, man, you've gotta be careful over here. Obviously you have never seen this part of the series (which is totally fine, welcome :p) but this is a place of extreme spoilers. The series is over 20 years old so there's nobody going to watch their spoilers. I'm not really suggesting not looking on the forums at all, but what I could suggest as a tip is not listing what happens in the episode. On this forum that's common knowledge to 99% of the viewers. While to some people just straight up listing what's happened in the episode might cause irritation (pretty much everyone knows all that stuff :p) to me I think it's pretty damned awesome that there's someone seeing this for the first time. However, I have to tell you that the original Dragon Ball Z series, so far, does this part of the story a lot more justice than Dragon Ball Kai. Well... it's your choice pretty much. You can binge watch the Japanese version of Z if you find it somehow (through hopefully legal ways) and finish it all the way to the end, or you can wait a week every time to see it live without subtitles and, if I'm completely honest, see a lesser quality product.

Seriously though :p I really hope you like this part of the series :D Enjoy!

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon May 12, 2014 2:29 pm

I noticed a few weird cuts like right after everyone ate which was kinda off putting. The conversation suddenly ended out of nowhere. Also the whole Videl overhearing "Saiyan" was scrapped as they don't have her react and just cut ahead.

Also man did the music finally begin to pick up. That track with Shin and Kibito was creepy. The theme with Vegeta getting the number to fight Goku was good too. So far only 5 pieces of music I like. The opening and ending themes, that creepy piece, that Vegeta Goku piece, and that theme that might be Vegeta's theme song now.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

GarrettCRW
Beyond Newbie

Post by GarrettCRW » Mon May 12, 2014 2:36 pm

Better pacing in this episode, but the music is still lame, and I'm not warming to the new voice of Mr. Satan at all.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Mon May 12, 2014 2:53 pm

GarrettCRW wrote:I'm not warming to the new voice of Mr. Satan at all.
I feel the same. Unshō Ishizuka does a okay enough job, but his "stage persona" voice doesn't sound as intimidating as Gouri's did.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon May 12, 2014 3:05 pm

theoriginalbilis wrote:
I feel the same. Unshō Ishizuka does a okay enough job, but his "stage persona" voice doesn't sound as intimidating as Gouri's did.
Likewise.

He's not bad at all, it's just unfortunate that he sounds subpar to his predecessor. I struggle to listen to him due my fondness for Gōri's original performance. There was a certain presence to his voice that's sadly lacking in his replacement.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon May 12, 2014 5:11 pm

Pros:
1) They played the full BGM which I like to call it "Welcome to the Tropical Paradise".
2) Music has gone from mediocre to great! :)
3) The pace and editing is a lot better than it was on the previous episodes.
4) Picture quality improved too, from the looks of it to me.

Cons:
1) Hardly any silent moments like they were in Dragon Ball Z which felt right for it. :(

I've still gotta get more used to the recasts I wish they hadn't passed away if it were possible.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Tue May 13, 2014 10:55 am

^ I like seeing this kind of comments, where good things are noticed and praised. 8)
I hate the "it's all bad, there's nothing good to take from it" kind of comments, it's more interesting to read someone's weekly review when you know they'll acknowledge good things and won't say "bad episode" for every single episode!

On another note, I usually don't notice the usual clumsy in-between animation when a character moves, but for the first time, it was just so obvious that it jumped to my eyes as soon as I saw this episode the first time: Kibito's eyes are scary once he has picked his number and turns around! :shock:

Daisetsu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Daisetsu » Tue May 13, 2014 7:07 pm

I need to know, is it just me or is this scene squished (just the bit with Kibito and Kaioshin, not everything else)? Could someone post a Dragon Box equivalent?

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue May 13, 2014 7:37 pm

Here's the Dragon Box shot:

I tried overlaying them, I think you're right, Kai's shot is stretched. They refuse to match unless I stretch the Dragon Box.

Deadtuber.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue May 13, 2014 10:22 pm

That's weird... and it doesn't even look like there's much extra footage on the sides... Maybe there was less footage on the sides for that shot, and they wanted "more footage", so they squashed it slightly to get that "extra" vertical footage...

Maybe that's also why there's probably no 4x3 version.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

GarrettCRW
Beyond Newbie

Post by GarrettCRW » Tue May 13, 2014 11:05 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:
theoriginalbilis wrote:
Likewise.

He's not bad at all, it's just unfortunate that he sounds subpar to his predecessor. I struggle to listen to him due my fondness for Gōri's original performance. There was a certain presence to his voice that's sadly lacking in his replacement.
If not for the nature of this series and franchise, I'd argue that Mr. Satan be rested until a new generation actor can crack the code and emulate the positives of Gori's performance while taking it in a new direction. This worked wonders for Elmer Fudd after Arthur Q. Bryant died and the Warner staff recognized almost immediately that they had no one who could do the job in the late '50s.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue May 13, 2014 11:13 pm

Jesus Christ, compared to that DBOX shot, everything in the Kai screencap is dying and withering away. I guess it was 20 years ago...
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Wed May 14, 2014 12:14 am

And people complain about the Dragon Box colors. They're friggin' gorgeous.

I don't know what is up with the video restoration on Kai, but I'm really hoping the home release doesn't look so faded.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Wed May 14, 2014 11:39 am

The preview of episode 106 is already available on Fuji TV's website. It shows only the second half of the match between Videl and Spopovich, which means that as I said, the next episode will cover the first half of it (DBZ episode 216) though it's not shown in the NEP.

http://www.fujitv.co.jp/b_hp/dragonball ... _20140526a

AjayLikesGaming wrote:Here's the Dragon Box shot:

*snip*

I tried overlaying them, I think you're right, Kai's shot is stretched. They refuse to match unless I stretch the Dragon Box.
They don't match because your DBox shot is inaccurately scaled. As I've already said before, technically speaking, "4:3" SD footage is not actually 4:3. I quote my post:

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... 06#p758263
kei17 wrote:From what I know, TVs do show "4:3" DVDs in 15:11. On a 4:3 TV, the screen itself is exact 4:3 of course, but when you watch "4:3" DVDs on it, the image you see is always vertically a little squashed (PAR 10:11, DAR 15:11) than what you get by directly resizing 720x480 to 640x480. That's how digital SD footage works on real TVs, so 15:11 is still correct even if you take "actual viewing" in consideration.

Some recent DVD-compatible Blu-ray players and most media player softwares for PC ignore this rule because the difference is so small that normal people never care, so maybe 4:3 would be faithful to your personal "actual viewing" on such players, but it's still wrong and different from how it's intended to be and actually seen on TVs.

However, I don't say that you should apply 15:11 or 20:11 to every kind of DVD. There are widescreen DVDs that are authored in exact 16:9, which tend to be downscaled from HD footage. The Orange Bricks are one such example. I don't know whether this kind of DVDs are just done wrong or intentionally done that way for the said recent Blu-ray players and PCs. But anyway, the Dragon Boxes were produced in the SD era and obviously intended to be seen in 15:11 on TVs.

You can read a discussion on this matter on the official forum of VLC media player. https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102078

Technical details on Pegasys's website (Japanese): http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/ja/suppo ... Ratio.html
So, Kai's footage is not stretched at all.

theoriginalbilis wrote:And people complain about the Dragon Box colors. They're friggin' gorgeous.
That's an unfair remark. The shot is from one of the best looking episodes on the DBoxes, and the colors become terrible just a few episodes later.

theoriginalbilis wrote:I don't know what is up with the video restoration on Kai, but I'm really hoping the home release doesn't look so faded.
It looks very faded because the shot must be from a pirated rip. It's originally more saturated.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Wed May 14, 2014 11:54 am

Am I the only one who noticed this?
Because damn.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed May 14, 2014 11:55 am

Kei, unless I'm misunderstanding, I don't understand what you're getting at here.

Top right is the image on the disc untouched. It's anamorphic; the ratio as it should be seen in is on the left. Bottom right is Kai's shot clearly out of the ratio it should be seen in.

The Dragon Box encodes are 720x480 but the display resolution should be 720x540 to be correct.

Heck, I've literally forced 15:11 and it still doesn't look like Kai. Am I missing something here?

Deadtuber.