The ultimate "Big Green Dub" thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Timo
Regular

The ultimate "Big Green Dub" thread

Post by Timo » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:48 pm

I know this crap has been part of discussions in other threads. But I think it's time for a real BIG GREEN THREAD! :mrgreen:

I collected information and DVDs concerning this dub since I first heard of it. I bought the UK release of "Super Saiya Goku", the dutch VHS of "Super Battle In The World" and two scandinavian DVDs which have this dub alongside with the scandinavian dubs (swedish, norwegian, danish) and the Japanese version on it.

A few facts (All information as far as I know):
- UK got three DVD releases (Super Saiya Goku; Super Battle In The World; The Strongest Guy In The World)
- The Netherlands got 10 DBZ movies and the specials on DVD (and a few on VHS)
- The dub is also on a few scandinavian DVDs
- Publisher for the dutch release is Bridge Entertainment. Bridge DIDN'T DUB THIS CRAP. They only published it.

I wrote an e-mail with questions about this dub and they answered that even they DON'T know who dubbed this stuff!
First of all, thanks for the compliments!
Then about the voice actors... we really don't have a clue. The problem is, that we don't own the home video-rights for the Dragonball series and movies anymore, and that there is no contact anymore with the producers. And in the past, the mastertapes were allready dubbed when we received them. We never received any actors lists whatsoever.

We apologise for not being able to awnser your question!

Kind Regards,
Anne Bijl
- Publisher for the UK is Warner Vision International
- The rights for this dub (and almost all other DB related stuff in Europe) has AB Groupe
- The dub is a very close copy of the french version. This includes this horrible voices, the ridiculous script and the name changes

So, why is Piccolo called Big Green? I think that's the answer: Piccolo is called "Satan Petit Coeur" in the french dub. They thought it would be stupid to call such a big green guy "Satan Small/Little/Cute Heart". ;D So, the changed the name to BIG GREEN.

I made a bunch of clips (DivX 6.2.5). I hope you'll "like" this stuff. ;P
The clips are from movie 3, movie 4 and movie 7.

The Gathering
Lady-Trunks
Your Majesty Kaio
Clirin's Magnetic Discs
Slug and the Kamehameya
Power at Maximum (He-Goku in action)
Turles and his minions
Teenshithan
The three Super Warriors
The Bean-Man
Yamcha and Big Green

Further information is welcome. :)
Last edited by Timo on Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:24 pm

Wow, Kaio's UK dub voice is actually kind of wise sounding like the japanese version in a way. :shock:

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:44 pm

All the movies AND specials here in the Netherlands? I never saw those, only VHS in toystores till movie 6. Perhaps I'll look for it some more, although I doubt I'll buy them. I do own movie 6 on VHS. Maybe I'll also make some audio clips soon or something..

By the way, is it me or are all the main villains (Tullece, Slug and Cooler) voiced by the same guy? XD

BoxerGloves
Beyond Newbie

Post by BoxerGloves » Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:39 am

Hey, I got a question. Do any of the U.K DVDs of the movies have ending credits? Maybe the names of the members of this English voice "talent" are there.

Great Saiyaman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Great Saiyaman » Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:52 am

Wow...that was, uh...bad.
[b]Vegito:[/b] What do you call a Goku & a Vegeta? Gogeta sounds nice.
[b]Toriyama:[/b] *wak*

[i]"I wanna go to Filler Hell when I die."-Me[/i]

MartianOddity
Beyond Newbie

Post by MartianOddity » Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:27 am

My ears have been molested.
That was horrible.
Good people last longer!

Timo
Regular

Post by Timo » Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:50 am

Bura wrote:All the movies AND specials here in the Netherlands? I never saw those, only VHS in toystores till movie 6. Perhaps I'll look for it some more, although I doubt I'll buy them. I do own movie 6 on VHS. Maybe I'll also make some audio clips soon or something..
I think I saw DVD covers for the other movies on the Bridge homepage.
By the way, is it me or are all the main villains (Tullece, Slug and Cooler) voiced by the same guy? XD
I think so too. Shenlong and Slug at least seem to have the same actor. :lol:
Hey, I got a question. Do any of the U.K DVDs of the movies have ending credits? Maybe the names of the members of this English voice "talent" are there.
There are only the Japanese endings. No clues whatsoever to other companies or the studio.

Steven Perry
Advanced Regular

Post by Steven Perry » Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:57 am

Finally, an investigation thread regarding the Big Green dub! :D

On the back of my DVD, it says "find out further information at WWW.DRAGONBALLZFAN.CO.UK". The website is now non-existent. Did anyone visit this site and take screenshots? :?

It could contain a vital clue to unravelling the mystery... :lol:
XBL: CallyMan90 | YouTube | DeviantART

~ LAST SURVIVING MEMBER OF ROOM 29 ~

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:24 am

I went on it when it was up. It just had info and screens from the three released films and an instrumental "Cha La" looping in the background.

Also, I don't think these were actually dubbed in the UK (Our English isn't that bad).
Where's the beef?

Dominator
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dominator » Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:43 am

The site had a link to FUNi's Dragon Ball Z website, as well as some brief character bios (with the correct names). Not much else though.
[url=http://www.freewebs.com/vendavaleste/]Carrion - The Dominator Fansite[/url]

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:58 am

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www ... fan.co.uk/ You can check out the site without the images on wayback if you want, but it looks like nothings there.

Blitzen
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Blitzen » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:20 am

I'm seriously beggining to think that this dub might've been produced in Hong Kong or Singapore. Quite a lot of anime released in Hong Kong/Singapore/other asian markets will get an English dub, though not a very good one, but considering how different the english is over there, it doesn't phase them all too much.

Just a guess here :)

Timo
Regular

Post by Timo » Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:54 pm

No, I think not. I mean, there is already this malaysian dub ("Speedy Dub").^^

Also the "Big Green Dub" is only on european DVD releases from AB Groupe. I think, AB commissioned these movie dubs for the english speaking countries in Europe.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:54 pm

Ugh god, I saw these when they aired on the UK Toonami. I have seen home-made dubs better than this, I seriously feel that they took on genetically modified VA's to save on the expenditure of the none existant budget (I would pay someone to destroy this, not create it) as I believe that no human can portray something so vile and impossibly horrific.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: The ultimate "Big Green Dub" thread

Post by sangofe » Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:02 pm

Timo wrote: - The dub is also on a few scandinavian DVDs
Not a few, but, movies 1,4-9, trunks and bardock specials.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:51 pm

I want to own these. Can someone tell me where I could buy them?

-Corey

BoxerGloves
Beyond Newbie

Post by BoxerGloves » Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:19 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:I want to own these. Can someone tell me where I could buy them?

-Corey
You mean those shitty U.K dubs of the DBZ movies? The last time I checked, they were at the Amazon U.K. However, I gotta ask you something. Do you really want to see this? I mean, if you pretend that this is a parody/fandub of DBZ, then yeah, this shit is funny as hell. But knowing that this piece of shit is an actual official English dub (for Europe anyway), it's kinda depressing. So anyways, here's the link to one of them: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000 ... d&v=glance
and another: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000 ... d&v=glance

And considering that each of these DVDs cost at least 20 GBPs each, it'll be waste of you money. Just read the (scathing) reviews from the users at the Amazon.co.uk for all those Bridge Entertainment dubs.

Maphisto86
Patreon Supporter

Post by Maphisto86 » Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:51 pm

Big Green... :roll: I mean if you are going to dub something do it right. Still it's a great laugh. :lol:

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:49 am

BoxerGloves wrote:
MajinVejitaXV wrote:I want to own these. Can someone tell me where I could buy them?

-Corey
You mean those shitty U.K dubs of the DBZ movies? The last time I checked, they were at the Amazon U.K. However, I gotta ask you something. Do you really want to see this? I mean, if you pretend that this is a parody/fandub of DBZ, then yeah, this shit is funny as hell. But knowing that this piece of shit is an actual official English dub (for Europe anyway), it's kinda depressing. So anyways, here's the link to one of them: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000 ... d&v=glance

And considering that each of these DVDs cost at least 20 GBPs each, it'll be waste of you money. Just read the (scathing) reviews from the users at the Amazon.co.uk for all those Bridge Entertainment dubs.
I was thinking of buying them too. :lol:

I know movie 3 is a must, what other movies would you guys recommend that are also at the same level of hilarity?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:22 am

Castor Troy wrote:
BoxerGloves wrote:

-Corey

I was thinking of buying them too. :lol:

I know movie 3 is a must, what other movies would you guys recommend that are also at the same level of hilarity?
You should buy the scandinavien releases.
They have...English, Danish, Swedish, Norwegian and English soundtracks!
Let's see...
Movie 8 was pretty awful in all languages expect Danish...