"Dragon Ball XENOVERSE" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

"Dragon Ball XENOVERSE" Official Discussion Thread

Post by JulieYBM » Fri May 16, 2014 1:45 am

ドラゴンボール ゼノバース
Dragon Ball XENOVERSE

PLATFORM: PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Xbox One, Xbox 360
PUBLISHER: Bandai Namco
DEVELOPER: Dimps
GENRE: Fighting
RELEASE DATE: (unknown)
PRICE: (unknown)
INITIAL REVEAL: May 2014 V-Jump

Kanzenshuu News Article Archive:
  • 2014-05-17: "New PlayStation 4 DBZ Game Announced, Also Coming to PS3/360
    Kanzenshuu wrote:While little is known about the game yet besides the visuals shown on the page, the magazine does draw attention to a mysterious figure watching the first battle between Goku and Vegeta from the shadows. With red hair, a scouter, and the Capsule Corporation logo on his sleeve, his identity is not made clear. The magazine poses the question to the reader as to who he is and what this means. Two cities of unclear nature are also showcased, with one in a Namek-like environment sporting a temple with a tree in the middle of what looks like a birdcage, and the other a “high-tech city” with which apparently has some sort of connection to “that machine”. Further details are, as always, expected in subsequent issues of the magazine.

No release date is listed as part of the game’s reveal. Over the past decade or so, most new Dragon Ball games are announced either in April or May with a release date in October or November later that same year. With Battle of Z just releasing earlier this same calendar year, it is certainly possible for this trend to shake up a bit.
  • 2014-05-21: “Dragon Ball New Project” (PS4/PS3/360) Website Opens
    Kanzenshuu wrote:With the July 2014 issue of V-Jump officially hitting Japanese shelves today, Bandai Namco has opened the official website for the so-called “Dragon Ball New Project” video game, the working title for a new game coming to the PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360.
  • 2014-06-10: “Dragon Ball: Xenoverse” (PS4/XB1/PS3/360) E3 Trailer Reveal
    Kanzenshuu wrote:Inadvertently teased last night with a premptive trailer upload, the new video game formerly known as “Dragon Ball New Project” has been unveiled as “Dragon Ball: Xenoverse” (ドラゴンボール ゼノバース Doragon Bōru Zenobāsu), stylized with an “XV” next to the name.

The trailer for the game, already over-dubbed in English with narration from FUNimation voice actor/director Christopher Sabat, has been officially unveiled by Bandai Namco EU, showcasing several major battles from the “Z”-era of the story.
    Christopher Sabat's Vocal Chords wrote:A clock that once had stopped… will start to tick again.
    The game — stated by the company to be developed by Dimps (previously of the Dragon Ball Z / Budokai series) — has also now been officially announced for the Xbox One (in addition to the previously announced PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360). The Xbox One console itself will release in Japan 04 November 2014.
  • 2014-06-11: “Dragon Ball XENOVERSE” North American Press Release
    Kanzenshuu wrote:Bandai Namco has officially unveiled Dragon Ball XENOVERSE (apparently stylized as such with “XENOVERSE” in all caps). In addition to the E3 trailer, the company has tossed out an official press release and new art assets. We still know next-to-nothing about the mysterious caped figure who shows up in the trailer. What are your early theories?
Last edited by JulieYBM on Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Re: The First PlayStation 4 Game Cometh

Post by El Diabeetus » Fri May 16, 2014 1:54 am

Figured it would be sooner or later. Does it mean the return of custom characters from Ulitmate Blast? The character in the Trunks Jacket, a scouter and the cape-ish thing from Tenshinhan's Buu arc dougi has red hair. Almost looks like regular Super Saiyan hair but with SSJ God's coloring. Also kinda looks like Battle of Z's graphics, but can't quite tell. So until proven otherwise I will assume it's Artdink game no. 2.
Last edited by El Diabeetus on Fri May 16, 2014 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri May 16, 2014 1:54 am

Love those models much like the Victory Vs. ones.

Probably going to be Tenkaichi Budokai-esque garbage as per usual though.

Hurry up Hyper DBZ
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri May 16, 2014 2:02 am

I refuse to get excited about this title. I've simply skipped over so many as far back as the PS2 generation that I can't trust that this'll really interest me by the time it comes out. I haven't skipped EVERY game, but enough that I should know better by now. :lol:
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri May 16, 2014 2:09 am

I'm excited at the new aspects in just this image so far, but I've been burned too many times this past generation to have any real sort of hype right now. I will wait before I let my excitement get the best of me this time.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri May 16, 2014 3:24 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:I'm excited at the new aspects in just this image so far, but I've been burned too many times this past generation to have any real sort of hype right now. I will wait before I let my excitement get the best of me this time.
I couldn't agree more. I just hope we get something good this time.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Fri May 16, 2014 3:26 am

Super Saiyan Prime? More like Super Psychic Prime.

New gen, same rules apply because that's a Spike Chunsoft game in disguise:
VegettoEX wrote:Not a bad analogy at all. Let's see if we can break it down and refocus it a bit for DBZ games (or at least the annualized big fighting game):

STAGE 1: NEW GAME ANNOUNCED (APRIL/MAY)
- first screen shot: Goku vs Vegeta
- if new developer, then promotion of innovative new art direction and gameplay
- if same developer, then promotion of numerous tweaks and refinement of beloved gameplay
- fans hopeful about Namco-Bandai listening to feedback and delivering fresh experience

STAGE 2: PROMOTION CYCLE (JUNE -> OCTOBER)
- developer inevitably revealed to be Spike
- monthly character reveals in batches of three, beginning with movie characters seen in prior games, but not this particular generation
- screen shots showcase battle system from dynamic camera angles, but...
- gameplay appears to be simplified further and further
- upon closer inspection, art style appears to be different just for the sake of being different with same character models from five years ago
- DLC hinted at with pre-orders or collector's edition
- fans worry about lack of development time

STAGE 3: GAME RELEASE (NOVEMBER)
- English title of Japanese name inexplicably changed for English-language release
- DLC never actually released
- gameplay simplified even more than could have been conceived
- fans simultaneously complain about lack of proper story mode AND too many fights stripped directly from the show
- sales plummet compared to previous year's game
- fans call for new developer with a fresh take on the series
- Namco-Bandai announces next new fighting game five/six months later regardless of whatever just happened

I dunno. Rough thoughts jotted down.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

chaospunishment
Beyond Newbie

Post by chaospunishment » Fri May 16, 2014 3:27 am

The bottom right gives me hope for cutscenes of any type and I like the top left a lot.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Fri May 16, 2014 3:29 am

It's both exciting and uplifting to see that we're going to get another game so soon, especially on the back of what was a less-than-stellar release (with a less-than-stellar sales performance) in Battle of Z.

I sincerely hope that if they're going to continue with the Brawler-mechanics they've started with in Battle of Z, they're going to make serious refinements from the bottom up, as opposed to just shoving gloss on the top like they did with the 'Sparking' series.

Don't get me wrong - I greatly prefer the Sparking series to Battle of Z - but by the third game it just became top-heavy with content, when the bare-bone game mechanics could have done with a bit more attention.

I wont even dare to dream about us getting a game as good as Budokai 3, as I seem to do every time a new game is announced, but heck - maybe I'll be surprised.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri May 16, 2014 3:32 am

Do you think they will use treevax's ideas ?

Blade
I Live Here

Post by Blade » Fri May 16, 2014 3:39 am

sintzu wrote:Do you think they will use treevax's ideas ?
Not a chance in hell.

Japanese corporate pride would never permit it.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri May 16, 2014 3:57 am

SSJ4 Furanki wrote:I will assume it's Artdink game no. 2.
They just finished battle of z so how could they have started a new game this fast ? maby it's spike ?
Blade wrote: Japanese corporate pride would never permit it.
Since bt3 each game has sole less so they might if they'r despret

Shinnin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shinnin » Fri May 16, 2014 4:04 am

Looks like Goku can fire a Kamehameha mid-air like in J-Stars.

American Pelican
Not-So-Newbie

Post by American Pelican » Fri May 16, 2014 4:07 am

sintzu wrote:
SSJ4 Furanki wrote:I will assume it's Artdink game no. 2.
They just finished battle of z so how could they have started a new game this fast ? maby it's spike ?
Developers often begin work on new games months out from release of pending games, not to mention it's been another four months since BoZ was released.

That being said I'm not saying it will or won't be Artdink.
Beat it! And take your planet with you!

Kokos

Post by Kokos » Fri May 16, 2014 4:13 am

It does make me think of a Sparking game, but that conflicts with that one Facebook message several months ago, where it was said the company had no interest in a new Sparking game. Makes me wish Facebook had better archives, so I could prove it.
Doesn't really remind me of Battle of Z, but it's possible I associate Battle of Z too much with team battles, which I don't see any hints of in this scan. It doesn't really have to indicate anything. I'm more tempted to say it's something different again.

Makes me wonder if it could be Ultimate Blast 2 in disguise. That one character to the left seems like it's made by a create-a-character feature, which Ultimate Blast had.

Pretty cool it's coming to PS4 by the way. No Xbox One or Vita though? I found the demo of Battle of Z on Vita quite enjoyable.
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:Super Saiyan Prime? More like Super Psychic Prime.

New gen, same rules apply because that's a Spike Chunsoft game in disguise:
Hah, nice. Hopefully VegettoEX doesn't mind if I copy that and use it for some observations, just for fun. Of course, assuming it's a Sparking game.
But as you probably know, these kind of consistencies/inconsistencies are more the nature of the internet than fans not knowing what they want. It's rather unlikely that the people in those different stages in the cycle are the same throughout the entire thing, let alone every time a Sparking game is coming.
Last edited by Kokos on Fri May 16, 2014 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Fri May 16, 2014 4:15 am

Character designs remind me of anything post RB2. Not fond of it so far.
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri May 16, 2014 4:57 am

At this point if it's not from Dimps then I don't think I'll be interested. The whole over the shoulder style DBZ game has been done to death by now. Inevitably they'll announce some new gimmick to get people to buy it. And is anyone else sick of the constant emphasis on the Goku vs Vegeta fight?

Blade
I Live Here

Post by Blade » Fri May 16, 2014 5:26 am

90sDBZ wrote:At this point if it's not from Dimps then I don't think I'll be interested. The whole over the shoulder style DBZ game has been done to death by now. Inevitably they'll announce some new gimmick to get people to buy it. And is anyone else sick of the constant emphasis on the Goku vs Vegeta fight?
I'm sick of the constant regurgitation of the events from the Anime, Manga or Movies in general. It's all been done before multiple times, it's boring now - who wants to buy a new Dragonball game every year to play through the exact same story each time? We get recycled anime with Kai and endless home video releases of the same stuff, we get recycled manga with SD and the full colour comics - and we get a video game franchise that hasn't once delivered a completely original plot. This franchise is like a twisted Ouroboros that survives by shiting down its own throat - it's a God-damned miracle it's survived so long.

I mean - I've lost count of how many times I've beat the Cell games now, how many times I've toppled Freeza, how many times I've thrown a Genki-Dama at Buu. Why should we spend our lives treading the same water over and over again? Dragonball games so often get panned for their gameplay mechanics, which is a friggin' crime given that they're free to invest more in developing that side of things by way of not hiring guys to write a story or make fresh character designs - they're working to the exact same blue-print year in, year out.

Why, for once, can't we have an original plot with original villains? The One Piece Franchise has video games with non-recycled plots, so why can't Dragonball follow suit?

chaospunishment
Beyond Newbie

Post by chaospunishment » Fri May 16, 2014 5:50 am

I'm sick of the constant regurgitation of the events from the Anime, Manga or Movies in general. It's all been done before multiple times, it's boring now - who wants to buy a new Dragonball game every year to play through the exact same story each time?
To be fair if they do make a new story "fans" will cry that it's not the real story (Also might end up like Another Road)
If they have the normal story "fans" will cry that it's the same
If there is no story "fans" will cry that there's no story mode.

They can't win no matter what they do.

"fans" being the type of people you see on youtube and around the internet. The ones they decide to actually pay attention to for some reason.

Blade
I Live Here

Post by Blade » Fri May 16, 2014 6:00 am

chaospunishment wrote:(Also might end up like Another Road)
That's still a regurgitation, and is a 'what-if' using already established events and characters as opposed to being something entirely original.