Kai Episode 105 (18 May 2014)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Kai Episode 105 (18 May 2014)

Post by Hujio » Wed May 14, 2014 1:36 am

General Discussion for Dragon Ball Kai episode 105, aired 18 May 2014

どうしたピッコロ!!一回戦での意外な結末
Dō Shita Pikkoro!! Iggaisen de no Igai na Ketsumatsu
What's the Matter, Piccolo?! An Unexpected Conclusion to the First Round

PLEASE SAVE DISCUSSION FOR AFTER THE EPISODE HAS AIRED
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Ajay

Re: Kai Episode 105 (18 May 2014)

Post by Ajay » Sat May 17, 2014 8:35 pm

Interesting episode. Music placement was vastly improved over prior episodes and we had a heck of a lot of new tracks. I don't really know how I feel about them honestly - Kaioshin's 3sp00ky5me track seemed fine during Piccolo's freak out moment as he steps into the ring but it dragged out into a semi-comedic moment that seemed just a little off key.

The build up track as Videl and Spopovich entered the ring was fantastic but the music that played the during the fight featured a Faulconer-esque drone that really put me off. Latter end of the fight had a pretty nice track that fit the scene fine but didn't sound like it belonged in Dragon Ball whatsoever. I think that's a problem we'll probably find throughout the rest of the arc - the songs themselves will be fine but they won't feel like Dragon Ball. That's something Yamamoto nailed very well as a result of his prior involvement with the franchise. They actually belonged.

I've stopped actively disliking Kai now. I just feel very passive about it; it exists and I'm sure some will enjoy it but I see no real reason to watch it when I enjoy the Z version absolutely fine. That's not an issue I had with the previous arcs of Kai though so that's certainly not a total positive for the Buu arc.

Oh well, we'll see how the fight pans out next week as we start to move into the tail end of the tournament.

Screenshots - http://minus.com/mpm7QgW2Lwdjz
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sat May 17, 2014 11:06 pm

Most of the tracks used in Videl vs Spopovitch sounded a LOT like Metal Gear to me :P
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun May 18, 2014 3:25 am

Wow, still only two replies? Is everyone losing interest in this?

The edit was well-done. Unlike the previous episodes, it didn't feel like a compilation of video game cutscenes and I could watch it as a real anime episode at least. Also, it was very interesting to see how it's different and faster-paced than my fan-edit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYn9dbjpv14

AjayLikesGaming wrote:Interesting episode. Music placement was vastly improved over prior episodes and we had a heck of a lot of new tracks. I don't really know how I feel about them honestly - Kaioshin's 3sp00ky5me track seemed fine during Piccolo's freak out moment as he steps into the ring but it dragged out into a semi-comedic moment that seemed just a little off key.

The build up track as Videl and Spopovich entered the ring was fantastic but the music that played the during the fight featured a Faulconer-esque drone that really put me off. Latter end of the fight had a pretty nice track that fit the scene fine but didn't sound like it belonged in Dragon Ball whatsoever. I think that's a problem we'll probably find throughout the rest of the arc - the songs themselves will be fine but they won't feel like Dragon Ball. That's something Yamamoto nailed very well as a result of his prior involvement with the franchise. They actually belonged.
Yeah, the serious sounding track dragging out into Piccolo's comedic moment bugged me a lot, too. They should have cut it short and left Kaio's scene just silent. I pretty much agree with everything you said here, but I disagree to one thing; your point of view about the Yamamoto score. To me, it never felt like Dragon Ball either.

gameleon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by gameleon » Sun May 18, 2014 4:43 am

I liked this episode. Music placement was a lot better than the earlier episodes of this arc and the new tracks were decent.
Hopefully they will keep improving the placement as the arc goes on. I really want the high points of the buu arc to be good.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun May 18, 2014 7:35 am

With this episode, if you didn't know it was Sumitomo, you would recognize it with all the ominous tracks playing during Videl's fight.
It's totally in the style of Battle of Gods, with the stereo ambiant sounds, the low-key violins and rock guitars, the choice of instruments which echoes those used in the film's tracks (such as Goku's heroic arrival in the movie), etc...

Overall, it was great, things finally start taking a dark turn and you just get chills with the whole fight of Videl VS Spopovitch: it's eerie, there's something abnormal about it, and things turn to a growing living nightmare for poor Videl, who is on her way to living probably one of the most unpleasant moments of her whole life.

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Post by worldmonsters » Sun May 18, 2014 8:20 am

I did not see any weird edits this time around :o A lot of FAST edits though, which wasn't too bad. I was really afraid this was gonna be speeding along but we spent exactly enough time with Krillin and his opponent for it to be funny, but not dragged out. Piccolo and Kaioshin was fine, maybe the music should've played less long, but it didn't feel comedic to me, I guess :p

I was really dreading they'd use the wrong music for the Spopovitch-Videl fight, but apart from one track it was pretty good. The track that started when Spopovitch was charging his blast was a little silly. Also it feels really wrong to hear the upbeat "next time music" with seeing the clobbering of Videl :( But that was inevitable of course :p I was also afraid that that fight would probably work better as a whole episode, but this episode was completely fine in pacing. It had a little more silence here and there but still not enough. I think it would've been more eerie if the music at Spopovitch's Ki-blast would've been silence instead.

Not a bad outing for Kai and on par with last episode :) Hopefully it stays this way or become better :)

thekingfallsdown
Not-So-Newbie

Post by thekingfallsdown » Sun May 18, 2014 11:35 am

Shouldn't we be making one form for ALL the Kai episodes? It's already getting cluttered, but do we really need 45 or so posts on this forum all about the same thing, just a different episode? Forgive me for mentioning, it just seems unprofessional, and unnecessarily cluttered.
Currently enjoying Anime, Music, Tv shows, and Final Fantasy XII. Follow my twitter for conversation! @thekingfallsdwn

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun May 18, 2014 11:57 am

thekingfallsdown wrote:Shouldn't we be making one form for ALL the Kai episodes? It's already getting cluttered, but do we really need 45 or so posts on this forum all about the same thing, just a different episode? Forgive me for mentioning, it just seems unprofessional, and unnecessarily cluttered.
Definitely not. These threads serve to allow users to track the progress of the show; to see how each episode has changed from week to week, for better or worse. It's a clear, concise way of organising things week by week.

If you throw everything into one thread, that's when it gets cluttered. You have users talking in mass about random parts of the show with absolutely no order. Individual episode threads offer better, clearer dicussion.

Deadtuber.

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Sun May 18, 2014 1:13 pm

Still seemed a bit rushed in a few specific points, but nowhere near as noticable as the first few episodes. Music placement was better...but the music itself is still pretty bad.

At this point, the only reason I'm still watching it is morbid curiosity. (And/or the opening and closing animations.)
kei17 wrote:Wow, still only two replies? Is everyone losing interest in this?
Personally, yes.
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun May 18, 2014 1:54 pm

Rukura wrote:
Personally, yes.
A lot of the conversation tends to flood in once the first fansub release comes out. Seems not too many people care to watch it raw despite knowing the plot pretty well.

Deadtuber.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun May 18, 2014 1:58 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:
Rukura wrote:
Personally, yes.
A lot of the conversation tends to flood in once the first fansub release comes out. Seems not too many people care to watch it raw despite knowing the plot pretty well.
I wait for your reviews before watching it. I'm watching this Thursday though so I'm late to discussion. Thursday I'm on the road so what better time to watch it.

Rukura

Post by Rukura » Sun May 18, 2014 2:09 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:
Rukura wrote:
Personally, yes.
I've noticed that a few people here watch it live. I don't bother staying up that late (european timezones and all) but do watch it raw a bit later. Comparing it to threads for the previous episodes, general interest seems to be going even if slightly.
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sun May 18, 2014 2:45 pm

I just fell in love with the track when Spopovitch uses ki blast on videl because it reminds me a bit of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTT4di20FtU
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Sun May 18, 2014 4:48 pm

I'm still waiting for Funimation's potential release before I see this, but I've been lurking here and I think this is starting to sound really good. :D

It's nice that people are starting to like Sumitomo's music, too. Some people here have noted it's a little Faulconer-like at certain times........well that sounds pretty good to me! Unlike pretty much everybody else, I actually really enjoyed their work. I think I'm going to enjoy this arc a lot with a fresh approach.

Also, for those of you would be interested in a potential Funimation dub, who do you think should sing the OP and ED themes, respectively?
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Sun May 18, 2014 4:57 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:I'm still waiting for Funimation's potential release before I see this, but I've been lurking here and I think this is starting to sound really good. :D

It's nice that people are starting to like Sumitomo's music, too. Some people here have noted it's a little Faulconer-like at certain times........well that sounds pretty good to me! Unlike pretty much everybody else, I actually really enjoyed their work. I think I'm going to enjoy this arc a lot with a fresh approach.

Also, for those of you would be interested in a potential Funimation dub, who do you think should sing the OP and ED themes, respectively?
I'm going to assume that Vic Mignogna will cover it since he's one of FUNimation's few voice actors that has the right pitch for these songs. For both songs actually.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun May 18, 2014 5:01 pm

I'd love to hear the OP and ED in English, but not necessarily from anyone that FUNimation would hire to do it.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Sun May 18, 2014 5:04 pm

B wrote:I'd love to hear the OP and ED in English, but not necessarily from anyone that FUNimation would hire to do it.
Yeah, sadly I don't think they'd hire someone out of the company to do it.

GarrettCRW
Beyond Newbie

Post by GarrettCRW » Sun May 18, 2014 5:36 pm

SSJ4 Furanki wrote:I'm going to assume that Vic Mignogna will cover it since he's one of FUNimation's few voice actors that has the right pitch for these songs. For both songs actually.
We'd also get to make "Captain Kirk sings" jokes here (Mignogna stars in and is one of the primary creative forces of one of the two major Star Trek original series fan film series), so there's really nothing negative about this idea. :D

Flame Dragon
Regular

Post by Flame Dragon » Sun May 18, 2014 6:11 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:
Rukura wrote:
Personally, yes.
Personally, i don't remember all the dialogue perfectly, only the rough bits, and also i can't seem to enjoy something i don't understand. Honestly i like more subs than raw, but that's just me.