Kai Episode 105 (18 May 2014)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ajay

Re: Kai Episode 105 (18 May 2014)

Post by Ajay » Sun May 18, 2014 8:47 pm

Flame Dragon wrote:Personally, i don't remember all the dialogue perfectly, only the rough bits, and also i can't seem to enjoy something i don't understand. Honestly i like more subs than raw, but that's just me.
Yeah, that's totally understandable. I've been watching the corresponding Z episodes prior to Kai each week so it's pretty fresh in my head. It does mean I'm extra harsh on Kai since I'm constantly reminded of what it has to live up to.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun May 18, 2014 10:25 pm

Hooray more music. Finally that boring feeling for me is disappearing. I really hope they re score the older episodes with more themes to fix how boring they felt. Otherwise Kai is finally picking up for me as an all around product.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun May 18, 2014 10:34 pm

Yeah, it is getting harder to say anything about the show. The music placement is insufferable. I think the story being covered in each episode works, but otherwise I can't think of much to add. Nozawa's grim Gokuu was very good this episode, though. It's a shame Gokuu is not able to play this role more often.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Sun May 18, 2014 11:31 pm

This episode was fantastic!

The score is not only starting to really grow on me (humming it in my car on my way to get groceries) but the new tracks introduced in this episode were fantastic!

Really looking forward to future episodes now, especially with the eventual arrival of Buu. I forgot how wonderful the Buu arc can be, especially when it's running at such a brisk pace.
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Mon May 19, 2014 1:50 am

Just finished watching this episode and I agree with a lot of people about the music. The music sounded really good especially during the Videl and Spopovich fight. The pacing again was really great as well.

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Mon May 19, 2014 3:06 am

At the moment I agree with with a lot of what is being said, but I have to just jump in and say, Shin Aomori is back!
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

GarrettCRW
Beyond Newbie

Post by GarrettCRW » Mon May 19, 2014 3:54 am

You can cut and paste my previous episode posts, but with one big addition: the editing when Goku discusses how weird Spopovitch's ki is is simply way too quick, with virtually no time for the reaction shots to Gohan.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Mon May 19, 2014 7:14 am

I tend to just enjoy the show and not notice or care about a lot of the negatives people have been noticing. As far as music goes, it has been kinda forgetful (I actually didn't notice there was almost no silence during the episodes) but it doesn't distract me from what's happening on-screen. I really like the track that played when Kuririn and Punter were being introduced to the audience.

As for the picture quality, it's not good at all, even if the green tint doesn't irk me as much. When Piccolo was guessing who Kaioushin was, the colors seemed to become more vibrant but overall they are really faded. Goku's gi is awful!

Has anyone been comparing these episodes with Z to pinpoint any animation change like they said they would do? In this episode, I think I noticed something different from Z but I can't remember what it was (I think it was during Videl's fight but I may be misremembering how it originally went)...

Early Boo arc is really good at being creepy. Z Team commenting on Videl and Supopobitch does send shivers down one's spine.

Sinedd

Post by Sinedd » Mon May 19, 2014 12:38 pm

Episode 105 - What’s the Matter, Piccolo?! An Unexpected Conclusion to the First Round
Kuirin won against that fat guy, Piccolo gave up *why???? I wanted to see a match*. The Mysterious Fighter is Kaioshin-sama, from what Piccolo says he must be very strong.
Spopovitch will win the match with Videl, that's what I think and he'll fight with Gohan (Great Saiyaman).

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon May 19, 2014 4:41 pm

Pros
1) Great selection of tracks for this episode.
2) Pacing and editing was throughly enjoyable.
3) Starting to liking the ED at last but still can't get used to the OP.
4) Cropping was a lot better than in "Season 7" of FUNimation's Dragon Ball Z, for e.g., Kaioshin's head is actually visible when both him and Spopovitch are in one shot.

Cons
1) Faded colours.
2) Picture quality could've been better for an HD release.
3) Not enough silent moments in this episode which should have. :-/
4) Sure the music was very good but the music placement wasn't.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Mon May 19, 2014 9:14 pm

Sinedd wrote:Kuirin won against that fat guy, Piccolo gave up *why???? I wanted to see a match*. The Mysterious Fighter is Kaioshin-sama, from what Piccolo says he must be very strong.
Spopovitch will win the match with Videl, that's what I think and he'll fight with Gohan (Great Saiyaman).
I must say, for as old as the series is and as someone who knows the story like the back of his hand, it's fascinating seeing someone following along for the first time in 2014. It's a nice reminder of where we all started out back in the day. I hope you keep posting, because it just makes my day.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed May 21, 2014 2:49 pm

Hujio wrote:
Sinedd wrote:Kuirin won against that fat guy, Piccolo gave up *why???? I wanted to see a match*. The Mysterious Fighter is Kaioshin-sama, from what Piccolo says he must be very strong.
I must say, for as old as the series is and as someone who knows the story like the back of his hand, it's fascinating seeing someone following along for the first time in 2014. It's a nice reminder of where we all started out back in the day. I hope you keep posting, because it just makes my day.
I absolutely agree. Along similar lines, that's also why it was so cool for me to hear about messages being posted on the Nicktoons message board from younger kids who were watching Kai and, in effect, seeing a Dragon Ball-related show for the first time. The closest thing one has to reliving a moment is to watch someone else live it, and it can be very cool.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed May 21, 2014 4:47 pm

Sinedd wrote:Episode 105 - What’s the Matter, Piccolo?! An Unexpected Conclusion to the First Round
Kuirin won against that fat guy, Piccolo gave up *why???? I wanted to see a match*. The Mysterious Fighter is Kaioshin-sama, from what Piccolo says he must be very strong.
Hm, Ma Junior later said that their powers were too different so he decided to give up which was for the best and the story's pretty simplistic so everyone gets the idea of what's happening during the episode.

Spopovitch & co aren't there to actually fight, they were just toying around with Videl and then when it comes to Gohan.. You'll see.

Seems strange that someone would start watching Dragon Ball Z even though it's been available for years but newcomers always tend to acquire what's newer.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

SSJ Electric Fury
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ Electric Fury » Thu May 22, 2014 3:30 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:Spopovitch & co aren't there to actually fight, they were just toying around with Videl
Lately I've been thinking his severe beating of Videl may have been revenge for his crushing defeat by Mr. Satan in the previous Tenkaichi Budokai.
"You can't make up for your mistakes when you're dead." - Irina Akulov, Xenoblade [Chronicles] X
ringworm128 wrote:

thekingfallsdown
Not-So-Newbie

Post by thekingfallsdown » Fri May 23, 2014 11:26 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:
thekingfallsdown wrote:Shouldn't we be making one form for ALL the Kai episodes? It's already getting cluttered, but do we really need 45 or so posts on this forum all about the same thing, just a different episode? Forgive me for mentioning, it just seems unprofessional, and unnecessarily cluttered.
Definitely not. These threads serve to allow users to track the progress of the show; to see how each episode has changed from week to week, for better or worse. It's a clear, concise way of organising things week by week.

If you throw everything into one thread, that's when it gets cluttered. You have users talking in mass about random parts of the show with absolutely no order. Individual episode threads offer better, clearer dicussion.

That's a fair point. It just seems like both sides have their disadvantages. I still think we should find a middle ground here. Idk, maybe once KAI is over, someone can gather all these forums up into one forum? Not as in one giant mess, but more so a list with LINKS to each episode forum post, so it's a little easier to find them. Maybe that's unnecessary, Idk, I just thought it would be a good idea. That forum would NOT have replies to it, it would just act as a table of contents if you will.
Currently enjoying Anime, Music, Tv shows, and Final Fantasy XII. Follow my twitter for conversation! @thekingfallsdwn

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri May 23, 2014 11:31 pm

thekingfallsdown wrote:But more so a list with LINKS to each episode forum post, so it's a little easier to find them. Maybe that's unnecessary, Idk, I just thought it would be a good idea. That forum would NOT have replies to it, it would just act as a table of contents if you will.
Ah, I definitely like this idea! Would be nice to have an easily accessible way to see all of the posts at once. Maybe I'll create something tomorrow and just update it weekly.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

thekingfallsdown
Not-So-Newbie

Post by thekingfallsdown » Fri May 23, 2014 11:37 pm

Ah, I definitely like this idea! Would be nice to have an easily accessible way to see all of the posts at once. Maybe I'll create something tomorrow and just update it weekly.
Honestly that's all I really wanted, more accessibility.
Currently enjoying Anime, Music, Tv shows, and Final Fantasy XII. Follow my twitter for conversation! @thekingfallsdwn

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sun May 25, 2014 4:06 pm

The music that played during the Videl/Spopovitch fight might as well have not even been there. Just random notes meandering about, not trying to accomplish anything. If the volume had been any lower I wouldn't have noticed there was music playing at all.

The fanfare that played while they were walking on-stage, though, was the first time in a long time that a piece of post-GT music actually felt like Dragon Ball to me. Props to Sumitomo. I was not expecting that at all.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

ss4songoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by ss4songoku » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:20 pm

My favorite episode by far thus far. I haven't caught up yet so I just got around to watching today. I thought the pacing and the editing of the Videl fight was very well done and enjoyed it much better than the original. I also loved the darker tone set by the soundtrack in this episode. A lot of the music in prior episodes during the lighter stuff was kind of a let down but thankfully the more serious action stuff is much better imo. :D
Cold Skin wrote:With this episode, if you didn't know it was Sumitomo, you would recognize it with all the ominous tracks playing during Videl's fight.
It's totally in the style of Battle of Gods, with the stereo ambiant sounds, the low-key violins and rock guitars, the choice of instruments which echoes those used in the film's tracks (such as Goku's heroic arrival in the movie), etc...

Overall, it was great, things finally start taking a dark turn and you just get chills with the whole fight of Videl VS Spopovitch: it's eerie, there's something abnormal about it, and things turn to a growing living nightmare for poor Videl, who is on her way to living probably one of the most unpleasant moments of her whole life.
That's exactly how I felt as I watched that fight. I really felt her pain and just wanted it to stop for poor Videl. The music really brought that scene to life

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:56 pm

Alright, so I FINALLY got around to watching an episode of Buu Saga Kai, and all I can say is...wow. I mean wow. I mean, I've only watched this, and Episode 99, but...jeez, what's WITH the hate? This score is great!

I mean, ok, a few of the instruments sound a little cheap and video-gamey. Like, that one theme that played when Gohan was talking to two reckless drivers, and came up with his name on the spot? The guitar there sounded like it could've come out of Mario Paint...but so what? It doesn't sound any worse than a lot of games from the pre-PS2 era, so it's not like any of the compositions actually suffered for it.

But really, the score more than makes up for it by having really good compositions, and having a nice, pleasant, fast-paced, and energetic feeling to it, unlike the Kikuchi placements we got for Kai. We've got stuff like that awesome guitar theme that played when Eraza was giving exposition on who Videl was in Episode 99, we've got that really cheerful and energetic theme when the announcer was announcing who was matched up with who in Episode 105, and all sorts of other good themes.

But, best of all? All of the themes are, *gasp*, ACTUALLY DISTINCT AND MEMORABLE! So at the very least, it's already above the Nathan Johnson and Mark Menza scores just on account of that, right? I mean, I'm not sure it's good enough to where I'd definitely put it above the Kikuchi score (I mean, I don't really like the Kikuchi score, and don't think it really fits well with DBZ at all, but I might just be biased against that style of music), but, it's definitely up there. And it certainly seems well on it's way to surpassing the Yamamoto score (still gotta watch more before making an opinion on that)...

I mean really, the FEW nitpicks I have with the music was that the staredown between Piccolo and Supreme Kai sounded just a touch like romance music or something, and that the dark Spopovitch themes actually weren't dark ENOUGH. I mean, there was that savage drumbeat that started when Videl got shot with a ki blast, but then that got drowned out by other weak instruments...

But seriously, what's with the hate? I don't get it. I really, just, don't get it. What's up? Is it just me being someone who was, at best, lukewarm to Kikuchi? Maybe me liking Team Faulconer (still my favorite anime soundtrack) has something to do with it? Or is this just a matter of it being "too different" from Kikuchi? Because I will grant that it's definitely not done in the same style as Kikuchi.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".