Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Mon May 19, 2014 1:01 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:I wouldn't say never. I mean, why would they go through all the trouble of recording all that and do do nothing about it? It'd be a huge waste of money.
There are times when an anime will get dubbed but never make it to air. Sometimes, things just happen. But in this case... being it's DragonBall, I'd be shocked if it never aired.

TheBalishChannel
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBalishChannel » Mon May 19, 2014 9:38 pm

Blade wrote:Alternatively, as opposed to representing an affirmation that he's done the job, Drummond may have been saying he knows nothing about the dub - I.E, he hasn't recorded his lines for it.
I believe some time in April of last year he posted on his Twitter feed that he had finished the screaming for a certain character he has been voicing for nearly 20 years. Someone later replied to the tweet asking about the status of Kai to which Brian Drummond said, "Keep your eyes peeled" or something to that effect.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Mon May 19, 2014 10:08 pm

TheBalishChannel wrote:
Blade wrote:Alternatively, as opposed to representing an affirmation that he's done the job, Drummond may have been saying he knows nothing about the dub - I.E, he hasn't recorded his lines for it.
I believe some time in April of last year he posted on his Twitter feed that he had finished the screaming for a certain character he has been voicing for nearly 20 years. Someone later replied to the tweet asking about the status of Kai to which Brian Drummond said, "Keep your eyes peeled" or something to that effect.
He hasn't been voicing Vegeta in 20 years. Maybe Sabat but didn't Drummond stop voicing Vegeta once Z was over. Due to Blue Water dub

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Tue May 20, 2014 2:59 pm

TheBalishChannel wrote:
I talked to Drummond at that time seeing him at least once a week. It was around that time he said they finished the Cell arc. That day he recorded the part where Vegeta was avenging the death of Trunks. I don't think he'd lie about that.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue May 20, 2014 3:56 pm

Attitudefan wrote:
TheBalishChannel wrote:
I talked to Drummond at that time seeing him at least once a week. It was around that time he said they finished the Cell arc. That day he recorded the part where Vegeta was avenging the death of Trunks. I don't think he'd lie about that.
I don't think anybody has lied. Way too many people have said that work on this dub has been done. So if it has all been a lie, then it has been an extraordinarily well-coordinated one. I am beginning to think, though, that there is a legal or technical problem going on behind the scenes that may prevent this dub from actually being seen on TV (or home video).
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue May 20, 2014 8:55 pm

Don't some dubs dub the anime BUT it doesn't get released or even seen by most people? Just a question. I heard about before but I've never seen an anime with that issue. Perhaps they feel like 2 english dubs would't work in terms of sales? Or enough people already know about Funi Kai and that only hardcore dedicated Ocean fans will buy this

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Tue May 20, 2014 10:55 pm

Or maybe Funimation is waiting for the 20th anniversary of dbz in North America and release it as a special edition in 2015 or 2016?
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue May 20, 2014 10:58 pm

Attitudefan wrote:Or maybe Funimation is waiting for the 20th anniversary of dbz in North America and release it as a special edition in 2015 or 2016?
Why North America. Why not the anniversary of the Funi or Ocean dub

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue May 20, 2014 11:04 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:
Attitudefan wrote:Or maybe Funimation is waiting for the 20th anniversary of dbz in North America and release it as a special edition in 2015 or 2016?
Huh? Ocean was still Funimation when it first aired. Their anniversaries are one and the same.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue May 20, 2014 11:07 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:
Huh? Ocean was still Funimation when it first aired. Their anniversaries are one and the same.
Which is why I said or......

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Wed May 21, 2014 4:26 am

I'm pretty sure that this dub is total independent from what Funimation are doing, as the Westwood dub was.

I recall Schemmel sounding sort of scornful about the whole thing when he let slip that he knew something about it a few years ago - but I think that's just the guy in general. He has the capacity to come across as a really cantankerous, unpleasant person.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Wed May 21, 2014 6:35 am

I'de kill for a documentary of the westwood dub and Ocean Kai dub. Shit would be fascinating.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed May 21, 2014 7:39 am

TheGmGoken wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote: Why North America. Why not the anniversary of the Funi or Ocean dub
Which is why I said or......
No, you very clearly phrased it as reading 'Why North America? Why wouldn't it be for the anniversary of the Funi or Ocean dub". I'm simply stating they're the same.

If you meant otherwise, you weren't clear.

Deadtuber.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed May 21, 2014 10:36 am

NitroEX wrote:I'de kill for a documentary of the westwood dub and Ocean Kai dub. Shit would be fascinating.
The documentary would probably have a higher budget and be of higher quality than the Westwood dub itself.

Hopefully Drummond and McNeil won't be carrying the dub this time around.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed May 21, 2014 10:05 pm

90sDBZ wrote:
NitroEX wrote:I'de kill for a documentary of the westwood dub and Ocean Kai dub. Shit would be fascinating.
The documentary would probably have a higher budget and be of higher quality than the Westwood dub itself.

Time for crowd funding :wink:

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Wed May 21, 2014 10:18 pm

90sDBZ wrote:

Was that suppose to be funny? Cause I spelled my half and half cause of you

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Fri May 23, 2014 8:42 am

I usually get a bit peeved when someone bumps this thread without any news. So here's some "news" (it's seemingly not very new):

http://anitunes.ca/credits.htm

AniTunes is a Canadian music production company for TV shows. It's attached to Tom Keenlyside and John Mitchell.

I'd ignore the listed broadcaster and episode order.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri May 23, 2014 9:36 am

This is becoming Buu arc Kai 2.0. The best worst kept secret ever!

Oh well, back to skipping through Ocean/Westwood episodes whenever I feel like appeasing my nostalgia.

Deadtuber.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Fri May 23, 2014 12:36 pm

Ok, so that must mean it is or has been rescored. Haven't most companies stopped doing that nowadays? Also, these episode counts are pretty inaccurate, it would seem. They did 184 Dragon Ball Z Episodes (108-276 going by their episode order). Dragon Ball Z Kai either has 98 or 167 (possibly) depending on whether the Buu arc is included or not. MegaMan NT Warrior also only had 52 Episodes, cut down from 56. The original Mega Man cartoon has an accurate count of 27, though. Don't know about the others, though.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri May 23, 2014 1:34 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:I usually get a bit peeved when someone bumps this thread without any news. So here's some "news" (it's seemingly not very new):

http://anitunes.ca/credits.htm

AniTunes is a Canadian music production company for TV shows. It's attached to Tom Keenlyside and John Mitchell.

I'd ignore the listed broadcaster and episode order.
Does the tag "US" mean that they're using FUNimation's version?