Toonami will air the Cooler Movie on May 24

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PhoenixEX
Regular

Re: Toonami will air the Cooler Movie on May 24

Post by PhoenixEX » Sun May 25, 2014 5:57 am

Would have preferred BF for preference and nostalgia's sake but Kikuchi's alright too. I have just always found Kikuchi to be really bland but to each his own right?
One World. 🌐 🕊

BurakkuForesuto

Post by BurakkuForesuto » Sun May 25, 2014 7:15 am

VegettoEX wrote:
Valerius Dover wrote:This doesn't count the Ocean dubs of Z Movies 1-2.
I don't know why you wouldn't count them, since they were produced by FUNimation (in conjunction with Pioneer, but still).
Actually, they were produced by Pioneer, in association with Funimation. My movie 2 DVD says.
"English Version Produced by Pioneer Entertainment (USA) LP. In Association with Funimation Productions Inc."
"US Executive Producer: Hideki Goto US Producer Hiroe Tsukamoto"
"Production Supervisors: Gen Fukunafa & Cindy Breman Fukunaga"

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Sun May 25, 2014 9:29 am

PhoenixEX wrote:Would have preferred BF for preference and nostalgia's sake but Kikuchi's alright too. I have just always found Kikuchi to be really bland but to each his own right?
This movie didn't have Faulconer Productions music. It had almost exclusively music by local rock bands from the time, such as Disturbed and American Pearl. The only movies to involve Faulconer at all are Lord Slug and Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun May 25, 2014 10:19 am

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:It's TV-7. So it's not uncut at all.
If it was sourced from the 'Double Features', then I'm pretty sure it was simply aired as is- uncut. Unless of course they went out of their way to make a new set of edits, which I don't see why they would. There was nothing overly violent in DBZ Movie 5.
Yeah, and it was listed as TV-PG in the DirecTV Guide and the PG logo was at the top of the screen after commercial breaks. It was definitely the uncut version left as-is aside from the time edit.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Sun May 25, 2014 1:12 pm

I saw the last 20 minutes or so last night. Was so surprised to see this on as I hadn't noticed this thread. It was great seeing DBZ on TV again! The Japanese soundtrack made it for me.

ChibiGoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by ChibiGoku » Sun May 25, 2014 1:22 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:It's TV-7. So it's not uncut at all.
If it was sourced from the 'Double Features', then I'm pretty sure it was simply aired as is- uncut. Unless of course they went out of their way to make a new set of edits, which I don't see why they would. There was nothing overly violent in DBZ Movie 5.
Yeah, and it was listed as TV-PG in the DirecTV Guide and the PG logo was at the top of the screen after commercial breaks. It was definitely the uncut version left as-is aside from the time edit.
Actually, at least on my feed, it was TV-Y7-FV all the way through. But yes, it was definitely uncut.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun May 25, 2014 1:23 pm

I don't know why people want the American rock music in so badly? If they thrown in it, most of you guys would be bitching about it. Toonami is block that airs action animated shows from both Japan and America. Toonami is not a block made for 100% nostalgia like the 90's is All That on Teen Nick and the recent Cartoon Planet on CN.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun May 25, 2014 1:51 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I don't know why people want the American rock music in so badly? If they thrown in it, most of you guys would be bitching about it. Toonami is block that airs action animated shows from both Japan and America. Toonami is not a block made for 100% nostalgia like the 90's is All That on Teen Nick and the recent Cartoon Planet on CN.
From what others have said in this topic Toonami will be airing Dragon Ball Kai, so that will be with Kikuchi's music so it makes sense that they'd be using the real music of Dragon Ball, people just need to get with the times and realise FUNimation/companies aren't doing it any more.

In Europe (except the countries that received the "Ocean Dub") we had it with the original score so I'm thankful that we never went through the crap music that they implemented years ago in the FUNimation dubs of Dragon Ball Z films.

P.S.: FUNimation's Dragon Ball dub never had replacement music unlike the Z and GT dubs, so at least the viewers watched it with the real soundtrack and had the opportunity to see a ton of silent scenes (doesn't happen very often with the Faulconer Z or Menza GT)
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

xmysticgohanx
Regular

Post by xmysticgohanx » Sun May 25, 2014 5:56 pm

I actually really like Faulconer's score (not that death metal crap in movies 5 and 8 ). I haven't watched Z subbed yet (I'm in DB episode 70 something right now and only started subbed the last 2 episodes I watched. It's kinda hard to get used to) so the only experience I have with Kikuchi is Kai's dub. I think it's alright but they always play the same song during fight scenes (I heard only Kai does that?)
Canon is Jaco, Dragon Ball except for EoZ, Dragon Ball Super anime and manga (both are separate canons)
Kai >>> Z
Current Roshi/Kulilin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SSJ3 Gotenks

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun May 25, 2014 6:04 pm

I seriously dunno why there's such vitriol for the old soundtrack, just on a music point of view. I can understand not really wanting it in your DBZ, but...are there really that many of you that don't enjoy some good heavy metal? :? It boggles the mind.

At any rate, really cool that they aired it with the original score. As much as I like the old versions for what they are, this seems like yet another nail in that coffin.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

thomas1up
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thomas1up » Sun May 25, 2014 6:14 pm

xmysticgohanx wrote:I actually really like Faulconer's score (not that death metal crap in movies 5 and 8 ). I haven't watched Z subbed yet (I'm in DB episode 70 something right now and only started subbed the last 2 episodes I watched. It's kinda hard to get used to) so the only experience I have with Kikuchi is Kai's dub. I think it's alright but they always play the same song during fight scenes (I heard only Kai does that?)

Yeah that's only an issue in Kai, after the whole Yamamoto scandal they had to quickly replace all of the soundtrack for 90+ episodes, you can easily tell it's a rushed job.
thomas1up are fuckin terrible and need to fuck off asap all the other noobs are decent thouhg
-Anon-Kun 2014 <3

GarrettCRW
Beyond Newbie

Post by GarrettCRW » Sun May 25, 2014 6:24 pm

Dragon Ball is a bit more liberal in its reuse of background music than Z is.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sun May 25, 2014 6:25 pm

Let me get this straight? They aired DBZ in the USA with the original score?
Wow. :clap: :clap: :clap:
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun May 25, 2014 6:53 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:I seriously dunno why there's such vitriol for the old soundtrack, just on a music point of view. I can understand not really wanting it in your DBZ, but...are there really that many of you that don't enjoy some good heavy metal? :? It boggles the mind.

At any rate, really cool that they aired it with the original score. As much as I like the old versions for what they are, this seems like yet another nail in that coffin.
Let's say if there were two options of Japanese audio with Kikuchi's score and then the other with heavy metal, obviously I'd go with Kikuchi because it's what it's the intended soundtrack and fits the series/films. Heavy metal or "real bands" is too distracting.

I tried to watch FUNimation's dub of Coola with the rock music and that kept kicking me off.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun May 25, 2014 6:56 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:Let's say if there were two options of Japanese audio with Kikuchi's score and then the other with heavy metal, obviously I'd go with Kikuchi because it's what it's the intended soundtrack and fits the series/films. Heavy metal or "real bands" is too distracting.
Yeah, and I get that, but the way a lot of posts are saying, it's like they feel the heavy metal music itself, completely removed from DBZ, as in you're just listening to it on CD...is still terrible.

Which, if that's what they feel, than that's all fine and dandy, of course. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, especially on something as diverse as music you like, but it almost comes off like their hatred of it ever having been in the old dub makes them hate the music outright without ever giving it the benefit of standing on it's own. I could just be reading into it the wrong way though, of course.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun May 25, 2014 8:47 pm

I'm a big heavy metal fan too, but metal does not fit DBZ. It's annoying listen to this type of music in stuff like this. Remember the 90's pop music that the Digimon movie and the Pokemon movies had? Imagine watching the fight scenes from Enter the Dragon then music from Rob Zombie show up or they play music from 50 Cent in The Shining.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

xmysticgohanx
Regular

Post by xmysticgohanx » Sun May 25, 2014 11:48 pm

I pretty much exclusively listen to rap but even I agree it would no way fit dbz.
Canon is Jaco, Dragon Ball except for EoZ, Dragon Ball Super anime and manga (both are separate canons)
Kai >>> Z
Current Roshi/Kulilin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SSJ3 Gotenks

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Mon May 26, 2014 7:40 am

Now if only FUNimation of 2004 had realised that when they dubbed GT...
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.