Will FUNimation ever release Dragon Ball on Blu-ray?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Will FUNimation ever release Dragon Ball on Blu-ray?

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Wed May 28, 2014 12:17 pm

Do you guys think that Funimation will release Dragon Ball on Blu Ray once their releasing Dragon Ball Z on Blu Ray?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Will Funi ever release Dragon Ball on Blu Ray

Post by VegettoEX » Wed May 28, 2014 12:19 pm

This question pops up pretty often. The answer remains:

- For FUNimation to be able to release it on Blu-ray, they'd really need something other than the masters they have now, which are likely digi-betas/tapes
- The original TV series was never the major seller compared to the other series (I believe even GT), so if they're going to do one, it'd probably be GT first
- Anything's possible
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Wed May 28, 2014 12:20 pm

If they knew it would be profitable they would. I would much rather them release Dragonball Dragon-boxes personally. but If they did release a Blu-ray release like Z then they better make sure they have all endings unlike their Blue Season Sets.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed May 28, 2014 12:22 pm

VegettoEX wrote: - The original TV series was never the major seller compared to the other series (I believe even GT), so if they're going to do one, it'd probably be GT first
Just to add to this one, GT would also probably be more likely as it'd be much less of an investment for them. All it would take would be two sets, maybe even just one, especially if they were to mirror the previous Season Sets for the series. Dragon Ball would likely be five (again, assuming they would match their previous release's episode count and model). So GT would just be easier for them to do all the way around, with much less money loss risk.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Wed May 28, 2014 12:45 pm

VegettoEX wrote:This question pops up pretty often. The answer remains:

- For FUNimation to be able to release it on Blu-ray, they'd really need something other than the masters they have now, which are likely digi-betas/tapes
- The original TV series was never the major seller compared to the other series (I believe even GT), so if they're going to do one, it'd probably be GT first
- Anything's possible
Whats wrong with their film masters of Dragon Ball?
samuraix123 wrote:If they knew it would be profitable they would. I would much rather them release Dragonball Dragon-boxes personally. but If they did release a Blu-ray release like Z then they better make sure they have all endings unlike their Blue Season Sets.
I honestly think Funimation will never release the Dragon Boxes for the original Dragon Ball. Its been two years since they put that Dragon Box survey out and nothing has been announced. While last summer they put out that survey for the new Blu Rays and two months later they announced the release date for it.

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Wed May 28, 2014 12:57 pm

JEFFMAN219 wrote:
samuraix123 wrote:If they knew it would be profitable they would. I would much rather them release Dragonball Dragon-boxes personally. but If they did release a Blu-ray release like Z then they better make sure they have all endings unlike their Blue Season Sets.
I honestly think Funimation will never release the Dragon Boxes for the original Dragon Ball. Its been two years since they put that Dragon Box survey out and nothing has been announced. While last summer they put out that survey for the new Blu Rays and two months later they announced the release date for it.
Pretty much I'm still waiting for that "something cool" FUNimation promised the fans when it comes to the original DB series.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed May 28, 2014 1:00 pm

JEFFMAN219 wrote:Whats wrong with their film masters of Dragon Ball?
They don't have film masters for the first TV series; that's the whole point. They only have masters on tape. You can't rescan tape to get any more resolution/fidelity, unlike what you can do with film.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Will FUNimation ever release Dragon Ball on Blu-ray?

Post by Rukura » Wed May 28, 2014 1:09 pm

If they never went out of their way to re-release it with better masters on DVD (like, say, Dragon Box masters), I don't see what would lead them to get film masters to, then, remaster themselves for a Blu-ray release.

Hell, they never released the Dragon Box versions of the Z movies, that they already have.
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed May 28, 2014 1:33 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
JEFFMAN219 wrote:Whats wrong with their film masters of Dragon Ball?
They don't have film masters for the first TV series; that's the whole point. They only have masters on tape. You can't rescan tape to get any more resolution/fidelity, unlike what you can do with film.
Can't they get the film from toie ? and what about gt do they have it on film or tapes ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed May 28, 2014 2:25 pm

It will be a long time before we see DB on Blu-Ray. I bet we might see re-release of DBZ Movie 1 - 13 on Blu-Ray. Funi will likely take the Dragon Box Movie prints and upscale them.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Wed May 28, 2014 2:50 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Funi will likely take the Dragon Box Movie prints and upscale them.
If FUNi even thinks about doing that they can kiss my purchase bye bye. The DBOX masters for the movies were made with DVD specs in mind, it'd be a waste of time and effort to upscale meterial that's already been encoded at 480p because there'd be little to no improvement to the footage. The only way FUNi could think about getting away witth using the DBOX footage is if they used the original film prints that were made before the films were downscaled to 480p.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed May 28, 2014 4:10 pm

I wouldn't want FUNimation's Dragon Ball footage on Blu-ray because what they've got is the only the minimum (1x OP, 153x Eps, 4x Eyecatches, 1xED) so I'd rather have that they release their own Dragon Box of Dragon Ball to have all the original content.

I kinda miss the NEPs as I saw them on the other series always (Z, GT, Kai).
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

GarrettCRW
Beyond Newbie

Post by GarrettCRW » Wed May 28, 2014 4:36 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:I wouldn't want FUNimation's Dragon Ball footage on Blu-ray because what they've got is the only the minimum (1x OP, 153x Eps, 4x Eyecatches, 1xED) so I'd rather have that they release their own Dragon Box of Dragon Ball to have all the original content.

I kinda miss the NEPs as I saw them on the other series always (Z, GT, Kai).
Plus, you can kiss the Japanese title cards goodbye.

But, Mike has the definitive answer: until Funimation is given film masters (as is the case with Z), we're not getting anything on Blu-ray.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed May 28, 2014 5:05 pm

I wouldnt mind re-encoded version of the singles (like the UK is getting/Australia has). The blue bricks are kinda the same but these have the grain, and Japanese title cards.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Wed May 28, 2014 5:24 pm

Would rather see a re-dub over a bluray release.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Wed May 28, 2014 5:49 pm

KentalSSJ6 wrote:Would rather see a re-dub over a bluray release.
That would be great if they re dubbed the original Dragon Ball.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed May 28, 2014 5:53 pm

Imagine this'd be the case:

> New English dub
> Remastered in HD on Widescreen with omg more image on the sides!!
> On Blu-ray through five epic seasons!

Being in widescreen certainly would attract the attention of the 16x9 AR DB fans.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

thomas1up
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thomas1up » Wed May 28, 2014 6:22 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
Imagine this'd be the case:

> New English dub
> Remastered in HD on Widescreen with omg more image on the sides!!
> On Blu-ray through five epic seasons!

Being in widescreen certainly would attract the attention of the 16x9 AR DB fans.
My worst nightmare would be Dragon Ball looking like... THIS

Eugughugh...

Anyway, I'd rather see Dragon Ball Dragon Box first rather than Blu Ray to be honest.
thomas1up are fuckin terrible and need to fuck off asap all the other noobs are decent thouhg
-Anon-Kun 2014 <3

SuicidalZerg
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuicidalZerg » Wed May 28, 2014 10:38 pm

thomas1up wrote: My worst nightmare would be Dragon Ball looking like... THIS
My eyes. They burn. Kill it with fire.
Nozawaberries commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdqta3iB6ZM

Twitch stream: http://www.twitch.tv/suicidalzerg
Planet Minecraft skins: http://www.planetminecraft.com/member/son_gohan/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/SC2SuicidalZerg
NA Battle tag: SuicidalZerg.158
MC username: SuicidalZerg

Sshadow5001
Advanced Regular

Post by Sshadow5001 » Thu May 29, 2014 12:18 am

The only reason I'd wanna see dragonball on Bluray is if its to put a lot of episodes on fewer discs.

I know most modern dvd's don't have this problem anymore but having 3-4 20 minute episodes on 1 disc was really annoying.
Please check out my Youtube channel GLEclipseGaming
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8otmN ... FvDYiaKt9w

Currently Playing
Gundam Breaker 3