Dragonball Z's rewatchability

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ss4songoku
Beyond Newbie

Dragonball Z's rewatchability

Post by ss4songoku » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:39 am

Who else finds Dragonball Z to be extremely rewatchable? If so what is it about DBZ that makes it that way?I find DBZ to the the only show I can watch over and over again and not get tired of. It's something I've noticed ever since I first started watching way back in my freshman year of high school. I was wondering if this is something unique to me or if others share in my experience. This also includes dragonball and the DBZ movies not GT in my case lol
Last edited by ss4songoku on Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Re: Dragonball Z's rewatchability

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:40 am

I can watch maybe a few random episodes but I can't do whole Sagas anymore (thanks toonami lol) However, I can re-read it over and over :D

ss4songoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by ss4songoku » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:46 am

eledoremassis02 wrote:I can watch maybe a few random episodes but I can't do whole Sagas anymore (thanks toonami lol) However, I can re-read it over and over :D
I see your a manga guy. It is much faster to get through that way however I've only read bits and pieces, It can be slow at times but I can never watch too much DBZ or DBZ kai

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:59 am

ss4songoku wrote:
eledoremassis02 wrote:I can watch maybe a few random episodes but I can't do whole Sagas anymore (thanks toonami lol) However, I can re-read it over and over :D
I see your a manga guy. It is much faster to get through that way however I've only read bits and pieces, It can be slow at times but I can never watch too much DBZ or DBZ kai
Well its a toss up cause I like the original "ocean dub" Japanese version and depending on the saga, the FUNi one. But I can't watch it was much as I used too, Dragon Ball I can though :D

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:35 am

I have watched Kai in its entirety about 4-5 times if that says anything.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

SuicidalZerg
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuicidalZerg » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:00 am

I've watched the series through no less than 8 times over the course of my life, so there's that...
Nozawaberries commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdqta3iB6ZM

Twitch stream: http://www.twitch.tv/suicidalzerg
Planet Minecraft skins: http://www.planetminecraft.com/member/son_gohan/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/SC2SuicidalZerg
NA Battle tag: SuicidalZerg.158
MC username: SuicidalZerg

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:23 am

I think Dragon Ball is probably more re-watchable than Z, but I have gone through the entire series a few times since the Orange Bricks came out.

Daimakku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Daimakku » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:13 am

I don't know what makes DBZ to rewatchable to be honest. I think it might be the universe of the series. I simply love all the characters, the worlds, the villains, the ridiculousness of their powers. It's a shounen show that, in my opinion, still hasn't been matched yet. Even when many others have tried to imitate part of its charm ever since.
ss4songoku wrote:I find DBZ to the the only show I can watch over and over again and not get tired of.
I agree with you, although there is one more show where I can rewatch over and over again without getting tired of it: Cowboy Bebop. Actually, because it's only 26 episodes long, and Adult Swim has replayed it to death so many times, I think it's safe for me to say that I've watched CB way more times than DBZ. But it's still true that I can watch both shows whenever and I will honestly sit down and watch the whole episode.

I usually never rewatch any shows after watching them once, but not these two.

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:18 am

I've seen the original twice, skipping over specific fillers (once in both languages)
I've seen Kai (in english) 9+ times.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:09 am

I've seen DB twice (on 3rd) all the way through, Z three times all the way through, and GT twice.
The movies are roughly twice each except Fusion Reborn which is like 5 times lol

And I've read the manga completely through twice. You would think I'd be sick of it by now but in just not. It's kinda odd

Lumos

Post by Lumos » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:10 am

I actually think it's more difficult for me to watch individual episodes than whole story arcs. From a certain perspective, DBZ is very story driven and I find it hard to sit down and watch episode 244 for instance since I've missed however many episodes of build up before it. It'd be like starting a book 2/3 of the way through. I also don't think the completist in me would be able to do it, even if I already know what happens.

I do agree with you on the manga front though :thumbup:
The Eleventh Doctor wrote:The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but vice versa the bad things don’t always spoil the good things or make them unimportant.
Homer Simpson wrote:'STEALING! How could you? Why do you think I took you to see all those Police Academy movies, FOR FUN? I DIDN'T HEAR ANYONE LAUGHING, DID YOU?'

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:15 am

I've re-watched Dragonball, Z and GT numerous times - ranging from the original broadcasts of various dubs, cheap quality fansubs, endless Toonami repeats and a whole load of times on home release. Kai, however, is something I've only watched twice. Once subbed, and then again dubbed in the home release.

I think that Dragonball Z is something which benefits from being binge-watched in bulk, both due to its length and sometimes slow narrative pacing through high octane events. I think this has sort of brought the series back into relevance for a lot of people in the past few years due to the changing viewing habits of the general public towards that sort of bulk-viewing behaviour - especially with the prevalence of services such as Netflix.

I mean, nowadays with stuff like House of Cards, you get the entire series delivered in one go online - not over the course of 13 weeks as you would get with a TV broadcast. Shows like Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones have gotten incredibly big from people being able to instantly access the entire back catalog of episodes online. People like to watch stuff at their own convenience now more than ever, the paradigm has well and truly shifted from the days where a broadcast event was a solid, unmovable fixture in people's lives that they had to accommodate whether it suited them or not.

This is the age of on-demand where everyone wants instant gratification, and Dragonball has like 170 Hours of content just sitting there for people to dive into.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:28 am

Dragon Ball, the first series, is incredibly rewatchable, somehow. It's not actually moving much faster than Z on a chapter-per-episode basis, but Toei was slightly more creative with filler/adapting the manga. I seem to be alone in this thought, however, as there are a number of folks who thought the Red Ribbon Army arc had too much filler...
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:31 am

B wrote:Dragon Ball, the first series, is incredibly rewatchable, somehow. It's not actually moving much faster than Z on a chapter-per-episode basis, but Toei was slightly more creative with filler/adapting the manga. I seem to be alone in this thought, however, as there are a number of folks who thought the Red Ribbon Army arc had too much filler...
Oh no, I agree completely.

Although, I'd also argue the source material for DB was better too...
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:46 am

ss4songoku wrote:I was wondering if this is something unique to me or if others share in my experience.
I'd say a lot of us fans agree on that cause of how special it is
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

SupremeSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by SupremeSSJ » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:49 am

I don't know bro, it's just something about the show. I've watched all of DBZ 3 times so far and now that I have DB to watch I'll be watching Z right after again lol. The only rewatchable anime in my opinion is Fist of the North Star.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:39 am

Do you mean the entire show or just rewatching scenes

BlackCatScott
Regular

Post by BlackCatScott » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:39 pm

I'd have to say yes, absolutely. I've seen the series through in full a few times but still enjoy just getting a random disc, putting it on and watching a few episodes. I've found the marathon feature on the orange bricks particularly useful for this too.

Same with the movies too because they're quite short. Coolers Revenge / The Return of Cooler I have seen countless times!

So yeah, for me.

Salem the Engineer
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Salem the Engineer » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:50 pm

DBZ no, DBK yes.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:14 pm

My roommate and I watched the Orange Bricks from start to finish a few months back while we were working on thesis. After seeing the series so many times on Toonami, it didn't faze me, but I noticed ALL of the things I hate about it; the Great Saiyaman arc was the worst of it, so much filler.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92